Balcony vs Window for Alaska

We are considering Alaska on Navigator next year. Navigator has two decks with windows only and they are less than balcony suites. Has anyone stayed at cabin with window? Is it better to have a balcony for Alaska? We sailed with Voyager last year and loved the balcony for early morning views. Thank you.

The one place in the world where you should have a balcony is Alaska. Being able to get out of bed in the morning and step out on your balcony without worrying about getting dressed to go to an outside deck is incredible.

It's a tough decision, isn't it? We went through this a month or so, and decided to go for the balcony. Even if it's too cold to be out on it, you get the benefit of the floor-to-ceiling window. We're going early in May, so weather will be less predictable, so I guess it partly depends on what time of year you're planning to go.

I also agree that the balcony is important in Alaska. We bundled up and sat out there often as the sights were too good to miss. We appreciated that our cabin was on a lower deck as it was easier to spot wildlife in the water and on iceflows. It is also cheaper. It is a magnificent cruise. We have done it 5 times. Enjoy!

Absolutely!! A balcony cabin on a cruise in 2001 was our first introduction to Alaska. To be able to just step outside and drink in the scenery - along with some of the cleanest air anywhere - with a mere slide of the glass door is SO worth it, IMO. :)

When we were in ALaska on the Mariner in 2004 it was HOT. Very hot - 30C in Juneau, for example. We really enjoyed sitting on the balcony after returning from a tour, sipping something cold and watching the wildlife. Definitely, without question, get a balcony suite.

Now that we've determined that balconies are definitely preferred, how does one determine which side of the ship is preferable on an Alaskan cruise? I never had any desire to take an Alaskan cruise since my land trips to Alaska years ago were less than memorable; however, you all are about to change my mind.

Since you will cruise the inland passage there will be plenty to see on both sides of the ship.

Generally speaking, if you are going south to north, I would take the starboard side. North to south, take the port side. That being said, I still don't think it makes much difference.

We loved our aft balcony suite when we were on the Mariner in Alaska in June 2009. I can't tell you how much I loved bundling up and sitting out there. (And sometimes during the day it wasn't all that cold.) I enjoyed many a cup of coffee or glass of wine soaking up the amazing scenery. The views are breathtaking.

On our Alaska cruise in Sept. 2010 we were very fortunate to be able to see the Aurora Borealis. The lights on the public decks made it hard to see them but from our balcony, with no light, it was spectacular. In fact, we invited about 10 friends to come see because they could not see them from their suites on the port side.

It was great to step outside dressed only in a bathrobe and see the whales that Terry Breen was spotting.

Another vote for a balcony and starboard side for a northbound trip.

We did Alaska on Mariner and the balcony was worth it. If you haven't done it with Regent before,be assure that,when the ship pulls into bays to look at iceburgs and scenery,the captain uses the pods to rotate the ship on its' axis so passengers sitting on balconies on both sides get a 360 degree view. The mega ships can't really do that.

I tell everyone that if you ever go to Alaska, a balcony is a must and worth the extra money. I've got the cutest picture of my husband standing in his boxers looking thru binoculars at the snow covered mountains. Also, don't forget to bring binoculars. It's amazing what nature you can see off your balcony. We went three years ago and are heading back in May. As far as weather, bring layers. In 2008 it was in the 70's in the towns but much colder in the mountains and when the ship arrives at the glacier.

Have a great cruise.

Did a window years ago when I had less money. IMHO if somehow you like standing out on in the wind/cold/rain enjoying the views the balcony is better than the window :D

My second time around I booked 2 balcony and 3 inside. I have to be honest the views from the open deck, bow and observation deck were just as nice and had no premium. They were actually suprising uncroweded as I must guess most people with balcony had to make sure they got their money's worth.

So is it worth it, some as the other posters say a must. I'm of the other camp, a huge premium for a slight quicker view and ability to watch the views in your jammies. The money saved can pay for a couple really nice excursions, flight seeing, helicopter glaicer landing.

We are considering Alaska on Navigator next year. Navigator has two decks with windows only and they are less than balcony suites. Has anyone stayed at cabin with window? Is it better to have a balcony for Alaska? We sailed with Voyager last year and loved the balcony for early morning views. Thank you.

Views are definitely better from open decks. Balcony views are nice, but very limiting (especially when, at places like Hubbard glacier, you are waiting for calving to occur and it keeps happening outside of your view from the balcony).

As a last resort, you could try to bribe the guests in Master suites 1001 or 1002 -- they have the best views on the ship:p

Ahhhh, Chipmaster, I'm sorry but I disagree.............

The cabin is brighter because of more glass surface.

The balcony door can be open 24/7, constant FRESH air.

At night you can hear the sooooothing sound of the ship cutting through the water, marvelous especially during The Inside Passage.

When visiting the Glaciers, and the ship turning 360 degrees, you have dramatic views from your comfortable balcony chair, rain or shine.

And, it is extra living space, one can read/nap while the other watches TV or whatever.

In my life I have had both, frankly I wouldn't book a cruise now if a Balcony wasn't available.

I would go with the balcony. I have cruised Alaska 3 times (even though I live here) and you would be amazed what you can see just sitting on your balcony. We saw whales and even a bear walking along the beach. You might have been able to see that from a window but as I recall we had to stand on the rail and look down.

Weather in Alaska is unpredictable! Like loveatq said layers are the way to go. And make sure you bring a rain jacket.

Well, after reading all these replies...........I'm depressed..... as my first cruise on Regent is in a window cabin. May 1, 2012 SF to AK

Oh, do not be depressed. We sailed on navigator last year. My partner and I had a balcony. His parents chose not to. The rooms were exactly the same minus the balcony. And here is the kicker. I used that balcony twice in seven days. Why? Because Navigator isn't a huge ship, so we kept just going up on deck for the larger more panoramic views. If you were sailing on some huge Celebrity ship or Princess, then a balcony makes sense because it is hard to see anything from the deck with so many people on board. But on the navigator, you really cannot lose. So, do not be depressed. You are going on a fantastic cruise and Regent will spoil you.:)

Archived