Uhg...Only one point away from Platinum

After my cruise this October, I will be 1 point away from being Platinum. Is there any way to earn a point besides going on another cruise? For example, HAL gives points per cruise day like RCI does, but they also give you points for certain amounts of money you spend onboard. My last HAL cruise was 7 days, so I got 9 points, 7 for the 7 days cruise, and 2 additional for the amount spent on board.

It is so close, but I may have to wait until a 2012 cruise to become Platinum.....just for that 1 point...

After my cruise this October, I will be 1 point away from being Platinum. Is there any way to earn a point besides going on another cruise? For example, HAL gives points per cruise day like RCI does, but they also give you points for certain amounts of money you spend onboard. My last HAL cruise was 7 days, so I got 9 points, 7 for the 7 days cruise, and 2 additional for the amount spent on board.

It is so close, but I may have to wait until a 2012 cruise to become Platinum.....just for that 1 point...

Why not look for a Florida resident rate on Monarch or Majesty for a three night in the mean time?

There is no way to earn points besides cruising on a Royal Caribbean ship.

I'll also be 1 point away from platinum after my next cruise on Freedom this coming May. Not to happy either.

I've been looking at Monarch prices for the week before my cruise. If I can swing it I'll try to do a 3-4 day before Freedom. That will get me over the 30 points. If prices are really low on a Monarch JS I might try that, as a JS on a 4 day cruise would get me to platinum before that Freedom cruise. It never hurts to dream.:rolleyes:

The difference between gold and platinum really doesn't get you much more than priority embarkation, debarkation and the "upper tier" invite. Not sure it would be worth it to spend an extra $700-$800 (on a quickie cruise) to get those rewards :D JMHO

We were in the same boat (pun thoroughly intended) going to Diamond, so we upgraded to a suite on a cruise we had already planned to take. The difference was less than $500 between a D1 and a JS, so we booked the JS for double points.

My advice - If you feel the need to do something you wouldn't normally do just to gain Platinum, don't do it. The difference in perks from Emerald to Platinum is very minimal. Just go on your normally scheduled cruises and enjoy yourself. JMO.

The difference between gold and platinum really doesn't get you much more than priority embarkation, debarkation and the "upper tier" invite. Not sure it would be worth it to spend an extra $700-$800 (on a quickie cruise) to get those rewards :D JMHO

The embarkation/debarkation and "invite" are nice perks, (agree could take em or leave em...but I still like them! ;) )

The biggest difference for me when moving from Gold to Platinum was the balcony discount, with the biggest discount enjoyed once I had moved up to Diamond.

On the next few cruises, that added up saving hundreds of dollars for me.

With so many of us perched at 29 points under the new system, we should just start a club. I couldn't figure it out myself as it is an odd number for an even number of cruises taken, but it is what it is.

I will have to leave this new club in July as we have another cruise set. Maybe then I will be platinum with 37.66 points, or something like it.:rolleyes:

We were in the same boat (pun thoroughly intended) going to Diamond, so we upgraded to a suite on a cruise we had already planned to take. The difference was less than $500 between a D1 and a JS, so we booked the JS for double points.

Thats what Im looking for a cheap JS (which I know really isnt a suite, just a larger balcony).

We paid about $400 more to move from a balcony gty to a pick your own JS on just a 3 day.

I will be on Oasis this sept and Im at 69, 11 credits from diamond.

I have Oasis again late Nov....and sure would be nice to be diamond and get into the diamond lounge.

I too am at 29 points, even though I actually had 31 sea days! The way they converted with 7 points per credit I lost the 2 extra sea days from my 9 day cruise, but at least I'll be platinum after my cruise in 2 weeks. Would have loved to have gotten the actual points for sea days and been able to use the perks on my upcoming cruise. Oh well, hopefully we can cruise again next year & finally get the balcony discount & priority boarding.

Can a platinum balcony discount be used together with a C&A savings certificate for a specific cruise? I wouldn't book an early cruise just to make one specific tier. I cruise for the love of it but I know that some people do covet their status. We don't cruise as frequently as some on here so we enjoy every moment even if we would be.. tin. :D Doesn't matter why you cruise. It's all good.

Can a platinum balcony discount be used together with a C&A savings certificate for a specific cruise? I wouldn't book an early cruise just to make one specific tier. I cruise for the love of it but I know that some people do covet their status. We don't cruise as frequently as some on here so we enjoy every moment even if we would be.. tin. :D Doesn't matter why you cruise. It's all good.

I don't believe so. The RCI site says you can use one or the other, but not both. I also don't know if you can switch after you book if a cert becomes available for that cruise.

I've got a great idea on how to tabulate your sea days. First any cruise would be counted as 1 cruise credit regardless of the length. On cruises 12 days and up you get 2 cruise credits. Booking a JS and above would earn you another credit. So booking a JS on a 12 day cruise would earn a total of 3 cruise credits. Very simple straight forward and easy to follow!

Do you think this is a good idea:rolleyes:;)!!

OK, kidding aside... there just isn't a system that is going to 100% equal to everyone in every case. For example under the old system I had 47 sea days as gold level, (after the 5th cruise) and did not receive any platinum benefits until I went on the 6th cruise, starting on day 48. It's all good..... your on a cruise!!

Thanks Debde and Orville for your quick responses. Not sure what the major deal is regarding priority boarding. We always get to the port approx. 11:30am, get in line and are on the ship in approx. 15 mins. No wait ever. That's OUR priority boarding for gold tier ;)

It's going to be 80 today! Got on my flip flops, denim capris and we're off in the sunshine :D Wishing sunny days for y'all too.

I wouldn't book an early cruise just to make one specific tier. I cruise for the love of it but I know that some people do covet their status. .

I dont think its because people "COVET" their status. With two Oasis cruises coming up.... Id love to have access to the diamond lounge. I covet the diamond lounge on Oasis ... lol

Unless I get in a 4 day early, I wouldnt be allowed in either time. Or a JS on the first Oasis would work too (right now Im in a D balcony, but its a huge jump in price to the JS on Oasis right now)

I don't believe so. The RCI site says you can use one or the other, but not both. I also don't know if you can switch after you book if a cert becomes available for that cruise.

Yes, you can. If a C&A certificate is issued that has a discount higher than your balcony discount, they will apply the higher discount.

Thanks Debde and Orville for your quick responses. Not sure what the major deal is regarding priority boarding. We always get to the port approx. 11:30am, get in line and are on the ship in approx. 15 mins. No wait ever. That's OUR priority boarding for gold tier ;)

It's going to be 80 today! Got on my flip flops, denim capris and we're off in the sunshine :D Wishing sunny days for y'all too.

It's not so much the boarding as the debarking at the end that is imnportant. We can save a day of vacation if we can get off the ship early, since we are driving distance from teh port.

I too am at 29 points, even though I actually had 31 sea days! The way they converted with 7 points per credit I lost the 2 extra sea days from my 9 day cruise, but at least I'll be platinum after my cruise in 2 weeks. Would have loved to have gotten the actual points for sea days and been able to use the perks on my upcoming cruise. Oh well, hopefully we can cruise again next year & finally get the balcony discount & priority boarding.

How did you loos credits? Did they move you a level down? Nine day cruises never had extra credits? I had a 9 day cruise and got one credit, so I think they way the convert was fair. The whole point of the conversion was to eliminate short cruise credits, I don't know any other way, since you didn't loss a your status, are you staying that you should have been leveled up ? If you were looking for an extra credit you should have booked a suite on shorter cruise.

Archived