11:30 flt out of MCO/from Port Canaveral

AF-1

Is an 11;30 flight reasonable for Freedom of the Seas; now I know about delays that are beyond anyones control; however, if things go normal is 11:30 workable; we will have a shuttle service picking us up.

Ok, here goes; I have my family of 10. I have five grandkids with me. My backup plan would be to book a later flight. I live in Cincinnati and wanted to book nonstop home. There are only two nonstops which are workable. 11:30 and 4:30. The 4:30 flight costs more and any flight that connects in ATl. DTW costs more too. So I either try and make the early flight or pay more and fly home later.

Ok, here goes; I have my family of 10. I have five grandkids with me. My backup plan would be to book a later flight. I live in Cincinnati and wanted to book nonstop home. There are only two nonstops which are workable. 11:30 and 4:30. The 4:30 flight costs more and any flight that connects in ATl. DTW costs more too. So I either try and make the early flight or pay more and fly home later.

Its a crap shoot. Especially with that clan. You would have to self disembark which means dealing with all your luggage yourself. Transportation would need to be waiting for the 1 hour drive to the airport. Too much stress for me at the end of a relaxing vacation.

OK, let's look at this:

-You have a large number of people travelling, which always slows things down;

-You state your back-up plan would be to take a later flight. Well, that would mean that there would have to be a later flight with 10 seats available. As they are more expensive, I'm thinking there is strong demand for those flights, thus greatly reducing the likelihood of you being able to take them in case of a missed flight.

I would take either the later non-stop or connect in DTW. For what it's worth, DTW is a lovely airport to connect in, and I'm sure the grandkids would have a ball riding the monorail. Well, I certainly did... :D

Face it, with what you're already spending to take the family on the cruise the additional cost for a workable flight isn't really all that much, is it?

I will look at the later flight; have of us are going to Cincinnati; the other half are flying to Wash, DC. So we don't need ten seats we only need six seats to Cincy, and four to DC.

OK, let's look at this:

-You have a large number of people travelling, which always slows things down;

-You state your back-up plan would be to take a later flight. Well, that would mean that there would have to be a later flight with 10 seats available. As they are more expensive, I'm thinking there is strong demand for those flights, thus greatly reducing the likelihood of you being able to take them in case of a missed flight.

I would take either the later non-stop or connect in DTW. For what it's worth, DTW is a lovely airport to connect in, and I'm sure the grandkids would have a ball riding the monorail. Well, I certainly did... :D

I travel thru DTW a lot with my job. I only need six seats going to Cincy; and four seats going to Wash, DC. I will take a look at later flights. Thanks

Its a crap shoot. Especially with that clan. You would have to self disembark which means dealing with all your luggage yourself. Transportation would need to be waiting for the 1 hour drive to the airport. Too much stress for me at the end of a relaxing vacation.

I am thinking of using the luggage valet program, so we don't have to mess with our luggage. I used it in Jan on Allure and it worked great.

I am thinking of using the luggage valet program, so we don't have to mess with our luggage. I used it in Jan on Allure and it worked great.

But doesn't that depend on the ship to get your bags to MCO? Might work for the later flight, but not the early one.

Not familiar with when the FOS arrives, but on the Carnival Dream, the ship typically arrives around 5-5:30AM and self debarkers are walking off by 6-6:30A. BIL and SIL have done this twice and were at MCO before DW and I were even called on normal debarkation. Book the shuttle service for arrival so it's waiting for you.

I'd book the later flight. Even though if you miss the flight you don't need ten people on one flight, there are still ten people who have missed their flight.

I don't know if you've flown much lately but airlines only fly with full planes. My friends who work for the airlines no long bother to Non-Rev because they can never get fights out.

We did it last year and 10 of us have a 10:45 flight this year......unless weather or medical emergency stops disembarkment.....do self disembarkment and carry luggage off at 6-6:30 go through customs and have shuttle waiting......you will be at MCO in 40-50 minutes.......have a great time and have a safe trip back.

thanks to all for your feedback; I have a few months to get my airline ticket; I just wanted to get feedback and also I am thinking that airlines are getting ready to raise prices due to the oil in the middle east. So I don't want to wait too long. When I sailed Allure in Jan; we used luggage valet; you can use the program if your flight is after 11am. Royal Caribbean can't guarentee bags will make earlier flights. So I figure MCO is a lot farther away then FLL is; so I want to make sure I can use the service; think I will contact Royal to find out the earliest they will accept bags for Valet program. Thanks

I have a 12:00 flight and I'm not worried. We will do the self-disembarking, and the cruise line and also our transportation company said that it would be plenty of time. They are picking us up at 8:30 in port. I"m sure you'd be totally fine with an 11:30, don't freak out.

thanks

My first cruise arrived at its disembarkation port 5 hours late. We had driven to the port but it probably has conditioned me forever against scheduling a morning or even an early afternoon flight home.

thanks

We fly into CVG. We got private transportation from http://beachlineshuttle.net/ , got off the ship at 9:00. We were at MCO by 10:15. Our flight was 4:30, a loooong afternoon. I wished we had gotten the 11:30 flight. We looked into getting an earlier flight, but was all booked. If some concern, I would get self embark and get a private shuttle.

We fly into CVG. We got private transportation from http://beachlineshuttle.net/ , got off the ship at 9:00. We were at MCO by 10:15. Our flight was 4:30, a loooong afternoon. I wished we had gotten the 11:30 flight. We looked into getting an earlier flight, but was all booked. If some concern, I would get self embark and get a private shuttle.

Thanks, I do plan on hiring a car service for the ten of us. Just haven't narrowed down what time to fly; I have plenty of time so am not stressing out.

Is an 11;30 flight reasonable for Freedom of the Seas; now I know about delays that are beyond anyones control; however, if things go normal is 11:30 workable; we will have a shuttle service picking us up.

You want to be at the airport before 10:30 which means you have to leave the port by 9:30 (not leave the ship - leave the port).

Good luck.

You want to be at the airport before 10:30 which means you have to leave the port by 9:30 (not leave the ship - leave the port).

Good luck.

Not to be doom and gloom but advising on being at the airport only 1 hour before the plane takes off may not be good enough. Orlando can be a zoo and getting 10 people to the plane in an hour might be a task.

Good luck.

Not to be doom and gloom but advising on being at the airport only 1 hour before the plane takes off may not be good enough. Orlando can be a zoo and getting 10 people to the plane in an hour might be a task.

I did not advise anything. I said you want to be at the airport before 10:30. Your post does not disagree with that at all.

Archived