Celebrity Cruisers don't like kids

gelo7

We sailed on the Summit to Bermuda early June 2010. Worried that the kids ages 10 and 12 would be bored on Celebrity. Quite the contrary. They loved the kids program and made friends quickly. I found the kids sailing Celebrity to be very well behaved. Sailed on RCCL a number of times with kids. While there was lots for our kids to do we did encounter unruly kids that were undisciplined.

We have been on many Celebrity cruises. The kids are usually very well behaved. The other lines, Disney, Carnival, Royal Carribean may have more kids programs, but that doesn't mean that Clebrity hates kids. Carnival cruises are cheaper than Celebrity (on average) so it stands to reason that they would get more families with kids.

After reading this thread, it appears that most Celebrity cruisers prefer to sail on a ship that does not have children. This might sound silly but even though I enjoy Celebrity when sailing with just my husband or another couple, I can't see bringing my grandchildren on a cruise line where its passengers feel this way, whether they make it obvious or not, when there are excellent cruise lines that are kid friendly.

After reading this thread, it appears that most Celebrity cruisers prefer to sail on a ship that does not have children. This might sound silly but even though I enjoy Celebrity when sailing with just my husband or another couple, I can't see bringing my grandchildren on a cruise line where its passengers feel this way, whether they make it obvious or not, when there are excellent cruise lines that are kid friendly.

I actually prefer to sail on a cruise line that does not have rude/loud kids or adults. Know of any cruise line? :) I have seen more poor behavior out of adults than kids in my 30+ cruises. That hasn't stopped me from sailing or avoiding cruising, but we do avoid Carnival as we have had 2 witness on each of our sailings public drunkeness and the results thereof.:eek:

When we travel with our traveling friends, we are traveling with other adults and many cruises are 10+ days which means there will not be as many kids and the demographics will be more older passengers (we are starting to hit 60).

I would also like to emphasize that I do not recall any unruly kids on a Celebrity cruise that I can recall. Our last cruise on Eclipse this past January (7 days) had about 50 kids on the ship. With 2800 passengers, that is a ratio of about 2%.

So I think any parent/grandparent bringing a kid with them on Celebrity cruise can have a great time, there it be less kids typically, but that does not mean less quality vacation for kids.

quote:

"We are paying approximately the same for a 12 night cruise on Celebrity Silhouette as we are for a 5 night cruise on Disney Dream"

OMG...I knew Disney was more expensive:eek:...5 nights is the same

price as a 2 week cruise:eek:...I knew the Mouse could charge whatever

they want but in my opinion, that is just......crazy comes to mind.

We got back from our first ever cruise on the Eclipse, and it was our best family vacation ever. Our daughters are 13 and 10. They did not do any of the children's activities because the four of us stayed together most of the time. I never felt that the children were unwelcome, and we even did a formal night in the dining room -- everyone was well-behaved, including the grown-ups:) I think you will have a wonderful time!

We've travelled - cruise and land - with our DD (now 15YO) since she was only a few weeks old. We have had very few instances where we have felt anything but 100% welcome anywhere.

Celebrity, NCL, RCCI, Princess and Disney all have fine childrens programs that she enjoyed over the years. Each ship on which we have travelled has had its own set of attractions.

It is a gross over-generalization that kids are going to be noisey or rude or whatever. Just as the case with any other group there are some obnoxious ones, and some that are great 95% of the time, and some that are a plus (we had a 5 and 7 year old sister pair at our MDR table two cruises ago who were charming and really added to our enjoyment of that cruise).

There are a few crumudgeons out there who will grouse about any kids. There are some kids out there for whom many of us would like to add just a few more "uses" for that roll of duct tape :D. But I have not found that the proportion of anti-kid crumudgeons are any larger on X than any other line. Nor have I found that there are any more kids upon which I'd like to use that duct tape as there are rude adults who probably would deserve it.

I have to disagree with you on this one.

First, the posters on CC are a very small sample size of the general population of cruisers, and probably not a good representation of them, since most CC posters are older, very experienced cruisers - while most cruise passengers have only taken a small handful of cruises in their lives. So saying that "most Celebrity cruisers prefer to sail on a ship that does not have children" by judging from the opinions of +/- 20 people on this thread is not even remotely reliable.

And second, no offense, but I just can't seem to understand this apparent dependence on the opinions of other cruisers that many CC posters seem to have. I'm not sure if this stems from a desire to "fit in"/peer pressure, or what exactly. But I just can't understand why anyone would feel like they shouldn't bring their kid because they are afraid other cruise pax would disapprove. WHO CARES!?!

First, the posters on CC are a very small sample size of the general population of cruisers, and probably not a good representation of them, since most CC posters are older, very experienced cruisers - while most cruise passengers have only taken a small handful of cruises in their lives. So saying that "most Celebrity cruisers prefer to sail on a ship that does not have children" by judging from the opinions of +/- 20 people on this thread is not even remotely reliable.

And second, no offense, but I just can't seem to understand this apparent dependence on the opinions of other cruisers that many CC posters seem to have. I'm not sure if this stems from a desire to "fit in"/peer pressure, or what exactly. But I just can't understand why anyone would feel like they shouldn't bring their kid because they are afraid other cruise pax would disapprove. WHO CARES!?!

I read this entire thread and I disagree with the premise that even those on this thread don't want kids on Celebrity cruises. I don't think the majority is saying that.

I read this entire thread and I disagree with the premise that even those on this thread don't want kids on Celebrity cruises. I don't think the majority is saying that.

I totally agree with you, Don, I didn't read this thread that way, either. I was just rebutting Bridgemaven's comment - and I inferred her comment to mean that she thought most people on here didn't like kids.

To me, the moral of the story for the OP (just my opinion) - it doesn't matter if everyone else on the cruise loves kids or absolutely despises kids - don't let that stop you from enjoying your family vacation, just respect others enough to make sure your kids are well-behaved.

I am always happy to see children. If they are US citizens, they will soon be paying for my social security payments. Plus, they are the future of our world. If it hadn't been for some elders who were very patient with a hyperactive kid with Attention Deficit Disorder, I would likely never have become a productive member of society. When you see overactive kids, say two prayers, one for the children, that they get the direction that they need, and the second for the parent(s), that they receive the wisdom to provide the best care for their charges.

My ten year old and I are about to embark on our 8th Celebrity cruise this summer. I asked him specifically which cruise line (we've tried Carnival (1x) Royal (2x), Holland (1x), Cunard (3x), and Princess (3x). So, he has grown up cruising and he picked... Celebrity Fun Factory.

If your kids aren't clingy and are willing to participate in the youth programs, which are awesome, then it is the cruise for you. The nice thing about Celebrity is that they keep the kids so thoroughly entertained, they aren't running around bothering people.

I don't want kids running in the halls making nuisances out of themselves. For families with babies- I suggest not cruising at all. There really isn't anything for babies to do until they are three and potty trained.

My ten year old and I are about to embark on our 8th Celebrity cruise this summer. I asked him specifically which cruise line (we've tried Carnival (1x) Royal (2x), Holland (1x), Cunard (3x), and Princess (3x). So, he has grown up cruising and he picked... Celebrity Fun Factory.

If your kids aren't clingy and are willing to participate in the youth programs, which are awesome, then it is the cruise for you. The nice thing about Celebrity is that they keep the kids so thoroughly entertained, they aren't running around bothering people.

I don't want kids running in the halls making nuisances out of themselves. For families with babies- I suggest not cruising at all. There really isn't anything for babies to do until they are three and potty trained.

Personally- I don't think its' X's likes/dislikes Its the pax. That being said no one likes or should tolerate anyone misbehaving-regardless of age. I have had adult drunks screaming in the halls on the same trip that had a large amt of well behaved children. Parents have to take responsibility for their children's behave & have to teach them correct behavior. Have a tantrum & its time out in the cabin-not in MDR or any public space.

I'm a Mom and my son started traveling when he was 6 months ago(when AA still had skycradles). At 8 he was flying by himself-UMC. He was taught to listen to the FA and behave.He is past 30 and has retained correct behavior-which gets him through TSA quickly.

Crusie ships have wonderful programs but as for babies heed the words above- toilet trained & age 3.

Carole

We took my son on the Disney Cruise Line at age 8 and 9. We then took him on Celebrity to the Med when he was 10 and Northern Europe/ Baltics at 11. Is there a difference in how the kids are treated - absolutely. Did he love both lines - definitely. Disney is all about the kids. The activites are geared to the kids, the wait staff in the dining room cut my son's food, the pool has slides, etc. There is a high tolernace for noise and kids in motion and the shows are very geared to kids.

Celebrity is a much more sophisticated cruise. I think on Celebrity my son was more concious of being quiet in the halls and at the pool. I really never felt that it was other passengers not wanting the kids, but rather the kids upping their game. I think there is a general sense that kids get when they are in a nicer restaurant, hotel, etc. in which they know they should be on "best behavior". The clubs had some kids activites but not that many. It was more of an old fashioned sense of the kids finding each other and making their own fun versus being entertained. Yes, I did see groups of the kids in the hot tub, but I don't think it caused issues for others. (I don't remember there being a sign for 16 at the main pool's tubs, but maybe there was.) They would not get in a tub if there was an adult in it. I remember it was almost like they were afraid. When one kid saw an empty tub, there would be 10 tweens in there a minute later. If an adult did venture in, the kids would scatter in seconds. I actually thought they were cute, but maybe that was the Mom in me!

There is a thread on the Carnival board about many cruisers not wanting kids on Cruises. It was started on March 22, and it already has over 450 posts. A few of those posts intimated that people that sail Celebrity really don't like to see kids cruising. We are taking our first Celebrity cruise a week from today, please say that it isn't so.

Perhaps the greatest frustration is kids out of control that have not been taught how to act in public.

I'm talking about the kids that handle food inappropriately in buffet lines, run in the halls, intrude on the adult section, and simply don't respect others.:(

There are parents who allow their children to have run of the ship without consideration of others aboard the ship.

Please keep in mind that this also applies to adults, upon occasion.:rolleyes:

We are just off the Summit and while it was not teaming with children they were definately present. Without a doubt these were the best behaved children I have ever sailed with.. They were represented by all age groups from toddlers to teens. I only saw one raccous group one evening and it was a family which leads me to believe it has more to do with the way they are raised, as the parents were watching them make a loud commotion without saying anything.

Also we saw the kids club group several times and they all looked like they were having the time of their lives. I think you will find that your children have a great time and are treated well. Don't believe everything you read!

Sue

My thoughts exactly....well said!

I have cruised numerous times with my children (ages 8 and 10) on many different cruise lines, including Celebrity. As far as I'm concerned, if the cruise line offers children's play facilities (such as the Fun Factory) and children's menus in the dining room (Celebrity does) then children are clearly welcome and expected. I would never take my kids on Oceania or Azamara, because those cruise lines are clearly for adults only, and do not have any children's facilities available. But Celebrity is a fair choice, and one we enjoy. We heard even worse things about Holland America, yet our children had a blast on that cruise as well.

On the other hand, just because children are welcomed doesn't mean they can be absolute terrors. I see it as my job as a parent to show them what is acceptable and what is not, and teach them how to both enjoy themselves and be respectful of others. This is true in any situation, and not just on a cruise, but I do keep in mind that on a cruise some people are less likely to be tolerant of children, even when they are behaving 'normally'. We have 'cruise rules' where the kids pay extra attention to how fast they walk in the halls, how loudly they speak in public places, and how much they splash in the pool. Little restrictions like this are easily outweighed by the fun activities in the children's programs and getting to eat all of those great foods and desserts in the dining room.

We always dress up for formal night, and everyone seems to enjoy seeing an entire family in tuxes and evening gowns having dinner. Only once have I ever had a rude comment about my children (which was completely undeserved) and it was on Princess. Other times my children have gotten out of line and I have immediately reprimanded them, yet no one else has ever said anything. IMHO, I think even the curmudgeonly passengers are accepting as long as they see that a parent is on top of things and monitoring behavior. My children are *never* allowed to wander the ship on their own (and you'll find that the vast majority of complaints about children are regarding those who are on their own, with parents/child counselors nowhere in sight).

So bottom line: Celebrity welcomes children, and as long as you are willing to teach your children appropriate behavior and be responsible for them (just as you would at home) there is absolutely NO reason why you shouldn't book and enjoy your cruise!

I have cruised numerous times with my children (ages 8 and 10) on many different cruise lines, including Celebrity. As far as I'm concerned, if the cruise line offers children's play facilities (such as the Fun Factory) and children's menus in the dining room (Celebrity does) then children are clearly welcome and expected. I would never take my kids on Oceania or Azamara, because those cruise lines are clearly for adults only, and do not have any children's facilities available. But Celebrity is a fair choice, and one we enjoy. We heard even worse things about Holland America, yet our children had a blast on that cruise as well.

On the other hand, just because children are welcomed doesn't mean they can be absolute terrors. I see it as my job as a parent to show them what is acceptable and what is not, and teach them how to both enjoy themselves and be respectful of others. This is true in any situation, and not just on a cruise, but I do keep in mind that on a cruise some people are less likely to be tolerant of children, even when they are behaving 'normally'. We have 'cruise rules' where the kids pay extra attention to how fast they walk in the halls, how loudly they speak in public places, and how much they splash in the pool. Little restrictions like this are easily outweighed by the fun activities in the children's programs and getting to eat all of those great foods and desserts in the dining room.

We always dress up for formal night, and everyone seems to enjoy seeing an entire family in tuxes and evening gowns having dinner. Only once have I ever had a rude comment about my children (which was completely undeserved) and it was on Princess. Other times my children have gotten out of line and I have immediately reprimanded them, yet no one else has ever said anything. IMHO, I think even the curmudgeonly passengers are accepting as long as they see that a parent is on top of things and monitoring behavior. My children are *never* allowed to wander the ship on their own (and you'll find that the vast majority of complaints about children are regarding those who are on their own, with parents/child counselors nowhere in sight).

So bottom line: Celebrity welcomes children, and as long as you are willing to teach your children appropriate behavior and be responsible for them (just as you would at home) there is absolutely NO reason why you shouldn't book and enjoy your cruise!

Helen,

Big DITTO!!! It is the parents' responsibility to teach their children to act appropriately. Now if some the adukts would just learn to do the same.

Carole

Perhaps the greatest frustration is kids out of control that have not been taught how to act in public.

I'm talking about the kids that handle food inappropriately in buffet lines, run in the halls, intrude on the adult section, and simply don't respect others.:(

There are parents who allow their children to have run of the ship without consideration of others aboard the ship.

Please keep in mind that this also applies to adults, upon occasion.:rolleyes:

I've found it applies to adults at least porportionally as often as to kids I've encountered on-board.

The most egregious behavior in buffet lines I've witnessed is from aduls (picking things up with their hands and then setting them back down, scooping garnishes from one serving onto another, butting into line, etc.). While not many of the adults run down halls, what they do is hold elevators for "just one sec" for someone who is no where in sight. Adults seem to be just as likely to be blocking a stairway or passage way. Pools have been closed because adults have over imbibed and either relieved or vomitted into them. The counselors in the youth programs describe all sorts of times when they need to chase adults out of areas reserved for kids programs.

We sailed Celebrity last year with my niece, who was 5 at the time. She had a wonderful time in the Fun Factory. She was so sad to leave her new friends- both the counselors and other kids in the program.

The behavior of many adults on our Celebrity vacation was deplorable. We were in the Oceanview Cafe one day for breakfast. My niece was right beside me waiting very patiently to get some eggs when some lady in a scooter ran up behind us and ran over the back of my ankle. It made a huge gash and I was bleeding. I told her she ran over my leg and she started dropping F-bombs. Nice.

I saw adults pick up food and put it back. I saw a man pick up a server out of the salad dressing, put his finger in it to taste and then put the serving utensil back. I talked to a food service person and told them what happened. They took the entire container of the dressing away and replaced it.

Adults running down the stairs knocked my niece down the stairs and didn't even apologize.

The kids I saw on Celebrity were fine. It was the adults that were the problem.

People with bad manners have bad manners. As my parents always told me, money can't and doesn't buy class.

I'm a Celebrity cruiser.

I have a lovely 2.5 year old daughter.

I don't dislike kids on cruises.

I dislike parents who bring whiney and crying kids to the Main Dining Room where people want to have a quiet, relaxed, and leisurely dinner.

I dislike parents whose kids will be splashing around in the 'adult' pool, in corridors, and other places that aren't designated for kids.

On our 4 cruises with DD, she's played in the kid's club, and we've gone to the buffet with her. We've never gone to MDR with her because we know she'll get whiney and that's not right for other diners.

Before we had kids, we only traveled with 100%, geared-to-adults venues. And I was surprised how many times people brought noisy babies. Now that we have kids, we figure we're not ENTITLED to go anywhere we want. We're parents now, and we should do kid-friendly things.

Mind you, lately I'm getting jaded. I see others and I'm slowly getting to the point where who cares? Everyone else brings noisy kids to quiet romantic places...why not us?

I've already done a "360" on illness. Before, if we had a bad cold I'd not leave my cabin. No buffet, no nothing. I didn't want to infect other people who have also spent hard earned funds to go on vacation. Last cruise, Ms Bronchitis was all over the place so after seeing her, I didn't think twice when I got sick towards the end of the cruise. I went everywhere, did everything. And I continue to do so now.

But, on the kid thing....we still try to take DD to places where it's okay for kids to be kids.

One more thing, nobody on a Celebrity cruise was EVER anything but nice to us and our 2 year old DD.

(Of course, sailing out of Jersey....many people don't give a hoot that we have a stroller and would cut in front of us...but again, that's the price one pays for departing out of NY or NJ)

But cruisers and staff were all very nice.

Of course, if we allowed DD to be noisy in "adult" venues...I would EXPECT other cruisers to be annoyed.

Archived