Special off-the-menu dishes

This will be our first Regent cruise and we'll be sailing on the Mariner. As I've read through the posts I keep seeing, "You just have to ask". Has anyone requested a special off-the-menu dish that was wonderful? I'd like some suggestions for memorable meals.

Thanks!

Even though they have rack of lamb on the menu on special nights, we like to order it on a night we prefer. We have also asked for Filipino food for lunch. We plan on ordering Beef Wellington on our next cruise. It used to be offered once a week, however, we have not seen it on recent cruises.

I had grilled foie gras on three consecutive nights last cruise. :D Steak tartare; grand marnier souffles; king crab legs (in fact, i imagine you can order many items from Prime 7 in Compass Rose). Best special order I saw was a whole goose brought out to a family on christmas so that grandfather could carve the bird.

You can also order side dishes which are not on the menu and these don't have to be special ordered ahead of time. Several nights, we ordered grilled fresh asparagus for the table.

The "side dishes" reminded me that you can always ask for mashed potato's or fries at dinner.

Also you can order a baked potato and they will serve it with little silver bowls filled with sour cream, bacon bits, and chives.

Mexican food!

It is not one of their strong points. They do a "TEX_MEX" BBQ on pool deck. but it is not close to my idea. After a month or so on the ship even Taco Bell sounds good.

I sometime bring my own salsa and hot sauce. Asked for a "mole" once and got a strange look like they thought it was a .....

Another thing they should do is have Mexican food with the fish BBQ deck lunches. Like grilled fish taco with fresh cilantro and lime rice.

J

Hi Vacation Lover! You will love Regent. If it is like it usually is, then you will find the food delicious, the wines wonderful, and the service happy, skillful and friendly. I found staff enthusiastic when I had "a wish"! Most guests are enthralled and fascinated by the daily offerings. But if not, simply breathe your hearts desire, and someone will make it their life's mission to see delight in your eyes. It's why they (Regent execs) get the big bucks so enjoy!

Agree, JMariner, the only good Mexican thing I have ever had on Regent is the guacamole. Everything else is pretty nasty--but we live in Oklahoma so have good Mexican food all the time.

Agree about the guacamole. Regent does try with ethnic dishes but the only ones that taste authentic to me is the Filapino and Italian. Some Indian dishes are good. . . . curry is great, naan is hopeless.

Probably has to do with where the crew members doing the cooking are from. There are lots of Filipino crew members, so would expect a good quality of Filipino food. But I have never seen any Mexican crew or even from Central America. Agree about the naan too--but I think it has to be made and immediately served to be at its best.

Hi Rachel,

Am very fortunate, have had the world's best Mexican food prepared by my DW, Ida for the last 28 years...u name it she does it from scratch--learned directly from her Grandmother and mother...to name just a few of her specialties--homemade chicken mole, tamales at Christmas (3 kinds), fresch pico (half dozen flavors (very, very, hot to mild (w/houseguests)), enchiladas, special fish tacos, stuffed poblano's with pork layered w/Cinnamon sauce....but back on topic--on the Voyager earlier this month...a WCer told us about a special Mexican meal the chef was making for their group (fajita's) ...George told us that the fajitas (he is from Chile) were great.

Unfortunately, unless you were raised in an area where authentic Mexican food is prepared, you may receive a poor imitation. With very few exceptions, Regent's staff are not from Latin countries (as Rachael stated previously). It is for this reason that we do not recommend Mexican food on Regent. However, if you were raised in Washington state, for instance, you may find Regent's attempt at preparing Mexican food quite satisfactory:rolleyes:.

Hi Rachel,

Am very fortunate, have had the world's best Mexican food prepared by my DW, Ida for the last 28 years...u name it she does it from scratch--learned directly from her Grandmother and mother...to name just a few of her specialties--homemade chicken mole, tamales at Christmas (3 kinds), fresch pico (half dozen flavors (very, very, hot to mild (w/houseguests)), enchiladas, special fish tacos, stuffed poblano's with pork layered w/Cinnamon sauce....but back on topic--on the Voyager earlier this month...a WCer told us about a special Mexican meal the chef was making for their group (fajita's) ...George told us that the fajitas (he is from Chile) were great.

OMG, I am drooling. Can I come eat at your house??

MDR = Main Dining Room...

Have question about when is best time to make reservations at Prime 7.

Have read that first night is good time as the Compass Rose doesn't have all things up an running due to change of passengers etc. Is this correct ?

Compass Rose is fine on the first night. They are always up and running. We have had mixed results booking Prime 7 on the first night. It is such a small dining venue that it can be affected by changes in staff. Compass Rose is almost a "must do: on the second night (Captain's Reception) because of the special menu. I'd recommend booking Prime 7 the 3rd or 4th night (depending upon length of the cruise). Book whatever time suits you. They stagger reservations so there are empty tables waiting for you to arrive.. . . whether it is 7:00 p.m. or later.

I do recommend booking in advance if you want a specific time or a table for two. If you go at the last minute, your choices could be limited.

Archived