Flying US to Italy, what are your thoughts on airline?

Kelmn07

Hello,

I am about 5 months out from my cruise (october). We have waited to purchase flights in hopes that the price will drop, but they've remained consistent for about 2 months now. We are nervous that with looming oil prices they will only go up the closer we get, so we decided to purchase them soon. Even though I had red on several sites to wait 6-8 weeks for international flights-that makes me too nervous. I would really regret not buying now if they jump a few hundred dollars by then.

The cheapest, from Bos or JFK to Venice, and then return from Rome is American Airlines, but their reviews were utterly horrific-in terms of service, quality of the food, aircraft, seat room, in flight entertainment-everything. The ticket is already hovering 1k, and am not sure I can/want to spend much more than that on a different airline. Second cheapest is Iberia. I am considering spending more for Lufthansa (which actually has a shorter duration as well).

Any thoughts?

Personally, we think nearly all the airlines have become intolerable on long international flights unless one wants to pay a fortune for business class. Our solution is to now look for cruises to get across the big pond (we have done round trips to Europe for 2 years by using various ships) since the cruises are cheaper then business class and a lot more fun. That being said, this method only works for those who are retired and have lots of time. In your situation we would book whatever has the best schedule and price and accept that you will be miserable for much of the flight :)

Hank

Are any of these direct, rather than connections? That would be my first priority, although it's pretty difficult to get direct flights into Venice.

After that, if you don't have frequent flier status with one of the airlines (affording you priority boarding status, free luggage, etc.), the best combination of price and convenient connections should drive your choice.

If I have to have a connection, I prefer not to change in Paris, so that might push me away from some routings.

Are any of these direct, rather than connections? That would be my first priority, although it's pretty difficult to get direct flights into Venice.

After that, if you don't have frequent flier status with one of the airlines (affording you priority boarding status, free luggage, etc.), the best combination of price and convenient connections should drive your choice.

If I have to have a connection, I prefer not to change in Paris, so that might push me away from some routings.

USAirways has direct flights to Venice from Philadelphia. Have you checked Kayak?

Thanks for the tips. I have checked BA, that is also one I am considering. Philly would be too far away for me to look into but I check Kayak daily-I can't set up an alert since it is a multi-destination instead of just round trip. JFk or EWR is the farthest I would look since I am an hour northwest of Boston.

Most of the connections I have seen have been Spain or Portugal, and I haven't seen any non stops. Looks like we'll just have to bite the bullet soon and stop hoping for a price drop.

And no, I don't think the terminology I used was over the top for an average 2/10 rating of more than 400 reviews, it's just my opinion.

Hello,

I am about 5 months out from my cruise (october). We have waited to purchase flights in hopes that the price will drop, but they've remained consistent for about 2 months now. We are nervous that with looming oil prices they will only go up the closer we get, so we decided to purchase them soon. Even though I had red on several sites to wait 6-8 weeks for international flights-that makes me too nervous. I would really regret not buying now if they jump a few hundred dollars by then.

The cheapest, from Bos or JFK to Venice, and then return from Rome is American Airlines, but their reviews were utterly horrific-in terms of service, quality of the food, aircraft, seat room, in flight entertainment-everything. The ticket is already hovering 1k, and am not sure I can/want to spend much more than that on a different airline. Second cheapest is Iberia. I am considering spending more for Lufthansa (which actually has a shorter duration as well).

Any thoughts?

I found the website ITA Software to be very helpful in looking for airfare:

http://itasoftware.com/

You can view ALL of the airlines, see the flights that meet your needs. You may not purchase through ITA, you will need to go directly to the airline or another site like Kayak.

I agree that the prices are not going to drop. I have been watching them since November. I purchased our tickets in January and they have already gone up $600 pp.

Hank is right, "nearly all the airlines have become intolerable on long international flights unless one wants to pay a fortune for business class."

Good luck.

For the last 5 years I have been flying to Europe in Sept./Oct.

Usually I buy my tickets at about 3 months out and I usually find fares round trip from the west coast way under $1,000 per ticket.

THIS year the "sale" prices for May were in the high $900s and I just got an e-mail about fall "sales" that are just over$1,000.

I bought my ticket 2 weeks ago round trip Rome at $1,070(inc. taxes) because I am betting that "sales" will not be much lower as time gets closer this year! I may be wrong but it is a gamble I am willing to make.

I have been flying with Delta this whole time BUT this time their prices were waaaay too high even if I used miles to pay down the fare sooo I am going through Philly with US Air. It goes non stop to Philly and then non stop to Rome.

My advice to you is to pick the airline with the most direct route at the best price making sure you have plenty of time between flights. SOME of the cheaper fares leave very little time between and you really have to be careful about that.

Good luck!!

US Airways is just about the only airline I wouldn't consider, based on their consistent ratings at the absolute bottom of the pack in terms of service, food, and cabin maintenance. However, their fares are often the lowest so if the previous 3 things don't matter to you, then look at US Air.....!

I agree with others that direct flights (nonstop) are better and CDG is to be avoided if possible -- although they've gotten better in the last couple of years.

Gone are the days when most European airlines were a cut above their US counterparts, unfortunately.

US Air has a direct flight from Philly, at least they did when we went two years ago. We fly out of Detroit. We are doing the Venice - FLL on Princess in October and this year are going to sstart in Florence then train to Venice to board the ship.

Lufthansa prices direct are extremely high. The prices for a one way on some of the consolidator sites are about $900. We have not booked yet. However the most direct I have found is Lufthansa from Dttroit to Frankfort to Florence for $900. Lufthansa wants $2000 for the same flight booked direct.

US Airways is just about the only airline I wouldn't consider, based on their consistent ratings at the absolute bottom of the pack in terms of service, food, and cabin maintenance. However, their fares are often the lowest so if the previous 3 things don't matter to you, then look at US Air.....!

I agree with others that direct flights (nonstop) are better and CDG is to be avoided if possible -- although they've gotten better in the last couple of years.

Gone are the days when most European airlines were a cut above their US counterparts, unfortunately.

Cynthia, we didn't find USAirways to be any different from Delta or American.

I don't go on an airline expecting good food so that doesn't bother me at all.

US Air has wide body planes to Europe which is fine too.

I sleep on the plane on the way there so really the only thing I want is for the plane to get there safely.

I would avoid CDG and Heathrow if possible and want the most direct flight(fewest stops) with the most time between flights(3hrs or so). I have had great luck with Delta in the past and there are plenty of folks who complain about them too so am hoping that US Air will end up OK.

I have flown US Air three times to Venice from Philly and once to Madrid from Philly. There is nothing nice about US Air but they do take off on time and get the job done. The planes routinely have malfunctioning tvs and movies but they are still better than American- which has long delays. They are horrible.

Cynthia, we didn't find USAirways to be any different from Delta or American.

Good to know; I've purposely avoided them for overseas travel based on travel in US with them + their reputation. However, they are often the low-price leader and I've considered them for direct flights when other airlines are a lot more.

Booked this week on Swiss, we paid a little more but the times were good and the connections through Zurich look great. We are flying in October as well and paid $1335.00 from Chicago. The price of the cruise dropped so a little more for air balanced out. Have a great trip.

Hello,

Any thoughts?

Have you tried Alitalia? We are leaving next week for a land vacation, flying out of Logan and landing in Rome, then getting on a short flight to Venice. Our return flight is Rome to Boston. We booked in January and the cost was about $950 pp.

I'll let you know how it goes when we return

International flight pricey is crazy and can fall or rise depending on too many factors.

If with crashing dollar demand drops you could score a deal, or if the economy continues to rock who knows.

Any American airline IMHO is a gurantee for crap service. They way the attendants get selected has everything to do with seniority and less to do with service. I think you get the most senior and least caring on the American airlines. The foreign have a complete different attitude about this I think.

But the money factor comes in. To ask for comfort and savings well good luck :D

Hello,

Any thoughts?

Have you tried Alitalia? We are leaving next week for a land vacation, flying out of Logan and landing in Rome, then getting on a short flight to Venice. Our return flight is Rome to Boston. We booked in January and the cost was about $950 pp.

I hope you have a good experience with them.

I only use them when forced to, which is when I'm doing group tours, because they are really the only airline that will discount their fares to Italy. In my experience, there's a reason they have to do this, as the places seem to me to be older than other airlines's and the staff surlier. Also, most of my flights on Alitalia do not use gates in Italy, they board and disembark on the tarmac. Passengers must use stairs to get in and out of the plane and buses to and from the airport buildings. For able bodied fliers this is not an issue, but for those with mobility problems it is a very uncomfortable and slow process. Special equipment has to be brought out to the plane to lift those who cannot climb the stairs.

However, they get us from point A to point B safely.

International flight pricey is crazy and can fall or rise depending on too many factors.

If with crashing dollar demand drops you could score a deal, or if the economy continues to rock who knows.

Any American airline IMHO is a gurantee for crap service. They way the attendants get selected has everything to do with seniority and less to do with service. I think you get the most senior and least caring on the American airlines. The foreign have a complete different attitude about this I think.

But the money factor comes in. To ask for comfort and savings well good luck :D

Hello,

Any thoughts?

Hello,

Any thoughts?

We flew AA to Rome last year and the service was great. In flight entertainment was two movies, we got two full hot meals and TV shows in between. The cabin was comfortable. Flights were on time. We were pleased.

Archived