January Cruises

betta128

How do you feel about cruising to the Caribbean in January? We would be leaving from New Jersey, so taking chances with the snow, but how is the weather on the islands that time of year?

Thanks for any info!

Liz

how do you feel about cruising to the caribbean in january? We would be leaving from new jersey, so taking chances with the snow, but how is the weather on the islands that time of year?

Thanks for any info!

Liz

we use to cruise in the latter part of january , first part of feb, and we have never had any problem with the weather at that time

The only problem will be that it's COLD in NJ....and will be for at least a day...maybe more, depending on cold fronts....

I wouldn't hesitate to do an E.Caribbean or S. Caribbean from a more southern port...but you will be wasting 2-3 days of your cruisetime in chilly weather.

Your ports will be warmer than New Jersey!

I personally just love the downtime before we reach the warmer climes. Also, coming back returns us gradually to the realities of life.

Note, though, that if you visit a cruise line's private island in the Bahamas, the water is likely to be on the chilly side. Which means very little if sun is shining.

We love cruising in January. Early January also has great prices as it's right after Christmas and many people either have just travelled at Christmas, or take a mid-winter break later on in the season. How long is the cruise and what ship? I wouldn't hesitate on a 9 or more day cruise on a larger ship like Explorer of the Seas, as there is plenty to see and do on the ship during the colder weather portion, and you still have 6-7 days of nice weather as well.

I was born in NJ and lived there for 48 years before we moved South so I know about NJ's snow. I would reccomend you fly to the port the day before. Then you won't chance missing the ship because of snow or flight delays. Once when we lived in VA and were supoposed to fly to Newark then Miami then Aruba. Our flight to Newark hadn't left Newark yet when we got to Norfolk to check in. We were then sent to Pittsburg, then Miami. If we had to wait for the flight from Newar to take us back there we would have missed the ship!

How do you feel about cruising to the Caribbean in January? We would be leaving from New Jersey, so taking chances with the snow, but how is the weather on the islands that time of year?

Thanks for any info!

Liz

It's a perfect time to take a Caribbean Cruise. Weather will be great and nice to get away from the Winter. As mentioned plan to arrive one day before the cruise in case of bad weather in New Jersey.

Keith

As you can see, we cruise in the Caribbean in January (DH is self employed and that's when his business slows down). Its fantastic. The biggest problem is picking footwear to wear to the airport that isn't big and bulky but will still keep the snow out. ;)

Otherwise, you'll look a little funny stepping off the plane in Florida wearing snow boots. :cool:

Thanks everyone! A small change in itinerary, we most likely will be going out of Baltimore (closer for 2 out of 3 families) on the Enchantment of the Seas. Anyone sail out of there before?

Weather is unpredictable. During our January 2010 cruise it rained every day & never got above 70. It also snowed in Miami on our way home & was in the mid-30s when we departed. :eek:

Most other years the weather was fabulous!

January is the nicest time to cruise to the Caribbean. We particularly enjoy leaving from New York because you get that gradual change from frigid weather to balmy breezes, it's quite magical.

The Caribbean is warm but, comfortable. Sure, it's cold on the way out and the seas might be rough for a day but, it's an easy trade off compared to having to fly to Florida.

Jonathan

We cruised the third week of January, 2011 on the Carnival Dream. The first half of the cruise was great. Weather moved in on the second part of the week, and we missed Roatan (sea day), and Costa Maya (went back to Cozumel). Got port taxes refunded.

What astounded me, was that they gave us a 20% credit on a future cruise! Very much surprised me! It's not like Carnival can control the weather.

So we leave again in less than a week! Even with the bad weather, it was the best cruise we have been on!

We've cruised in January several times, but always from south Florida. I'm not sure I'd like leaving from a cold weather port like Baltimore, but if you can drive there it would be convenient.

We've always had good to decent weather--maybe a few degrees cooler at the start and end of the trip, depending on what weather Florida is having--but it's always been 70's and above in the Caribbean.

Of course you can always hit a storm or unusually cold/rainy weather, but so far we've lucked out with only a brief shower once in a while and weather warm enough for swimming.

You also get some really good deals since January is right after Christmas and before spring breaks begin; not as many people can or want to cruise then.

Thanks everyone! A small change in itinerary, we most likely will be going out of Baltimore (closer for 2 out of 3 families) on the Enchantment of the Seas. Anyone sail out of there before?

We did the 9 nighter on Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore last month (early April). It was quite cold (temps in the high 40's/low 50's) for sailaway and the entire next day. After that, we had warm temps. Same thing coming back. Last sea day was too cold to be out by the pool.

I wouldn't do a 7 nighter out of the Northeast in winter. It would have to be at least 9 or 10 days, but preferably 12.

We enjoyed Enchantment very much, although she is an older ship. The only real complaint I had was the amount of cigarette smoking.

Jo-Ann

Thanks for any info!

Liz

Hi Liz,

We tried it this year... out of New York... it was great leaving the cold snow and the islands were perfect in terms of weather and the water was fab. Keep in mind that you will loose out door sea day time sailing at that time, it was well into the 2nd full day at sea before we could really be out on deck and the last day and 1/2 on the way home were also not deck days.

It was really funny seeing everyones embarkment pictures with everyone all bundled in coats

We have cruised in early Jan.a few times. Coming from Maine, we always go a day or two early to FL. I have found that it can be rough seas going from and to FL to the islands due to the wind. And, it will be cool during that period.

This past year, we went to the So. Caribbean in Jan. Breezy and in the 70's/

We've sailed now 4 yrs in row out of either NY or NJ in January to the Caribbean. As you go into the gulf stream, actually only the first day and last day or chilly. Not cold, but chilly. We'd much rather be on a ship in chilly weather the first and last day than on and off of airplanes and in and out of airports. Also, depending on your proximity to the port, we didn't leave our home the day of the cruise until 10AM and on return, we were "home home" by noon, which made for a much more relaxing and stressless departure/return.

Archived