Wardrobe malfunctions on a cruise

Happy ks

I try on everything, go over accessories, walk in the shoes, etc... prior to packing, but it seems there is always something during the cruise that just goes wrong.

One cruise it was I forgot the little scissors to clip of the hanger things (whadyacallthem :confused:), the little straps inside the dress to hold it on the hanger. All night long I was tucking the darn things back into my dress but they kept popping out. The embarrasing part was a woman I know tucked them in for me a couple times as well :o Now I cut them off as soon as I make a decision to keep a dress/jacket/top.

My last cruise, new shoes, I'd tried them on and walked in them around the house, even up and down stairs. When I put them on the first formal night, they were too big :eek: to the point of falling off my feet. I'll never know how that happened. My solution was hard to hold hair spray. In desperation I sprayed the inside, waited until almost dry and put them on...they stuck to my feet. I had to peel them off when we got back to the cabin.

Once I didn't have ankle socks, just the longer fold down kind, I don't care for the look with shorts/sneakers. My feet are big, so I borrowed my husbands socks. I do understand that shorts/sneakers can be a wardrobe malfunction as well, but we were going to be walking over 2 miles that day on different terrain/rocks/dirt/heat.

I tend to pack lighter and don't take "choices", what I have with me has to work.

Anyone else suffer from wardrobe malfunction away from home?

My biggest issue is with my shoes. I get blisters VERY, VERY easily, even with shoes I have had for years that hadn't given me problems before. My feet also have a tendency to swell on a cruise which causes even more issues.

When I leave for my Serenade trip this weekend I'm making sure that I have options for when my feet swell (mostly different flip flops) that I can wear no matter what.

I always take Band-aid Blister bandages with me just in case, they are oval shaped bandages with a gel pad in the center and work great. They are a little more expensive than regular bandaids but do the job. You can use them over a nasty blister and you will never feel discomfort or use them where you shoes might be rubbing to avoid getting a blister.

Regarding blisters, I've made a discovery! I was prepared to wear my cute new ballet flats and put bandages over the blisters/area that will get blisters. BUT, they showed... so I thought I will buy some "clear" bandages, but boy, are they expensive! So... in my cupboard I found some clear bandage tape, you know the kind you use with gauze patches (it looks like clear scotch tape, right?)? I tore off a small strip for each foot and put it on the back of my ankles where my shoes rub. Beautiful! And it doesn't show the way Bandaids showed. No one knows but me! Brilliant!

Every cruise I have had something go awry. Last cruise my shaper kept rolling up my leg cutting off my circulation. I went in the bathroom and threw it in the trash.

The worst thing that happened was wearing a pair of shoes that had been dyed black and when I was walking on the deck the first formal night the dye bled and colored the bottoms of my feet black. I couldn't get that black off of my feet for weeks after the cruise. So,I had this great pedicure and black feet. That was so embarrassing and I had to cover my feet the whole week.

Kris

I went to zip up my dress for the first formal night and the zipper was broken. I wore a different dress and the stateroom attendant repaired it in time for the second formal night. I had the zipper replaced when I returned home.

Another time, my bathing suit bottom's elastic melted into my skin, so I had black marks all around my waist line. It took weeks to get it off! It was from my favorite manufacturer (Coco Reef) and it was about 4 yrs old...I managed to find the same bathing suit at TJMaxx at a huge discount to replace it...luckily I had saved the waist tie belt that matched the top.

Another time, I spilled hot wax on my poly-spandex pants. When I got home, it came right out in the dryer!

I bring a sewing kit and safety pins whenever I travel, and always pack an extra outfit or 2.

Every time we go on a cruise I seem to retain a lot of water. Once my lovely formal would not zip. Another time I had the sleeves of a formal hemmed and the slacks shortened ... I packed them and seem to have forgotten the top at home. I've ended up with blisters on sandals that I've worn for years.

Two years ago we went to San Juan and my one suitcase went to Shanghai .... its always something ... its what makes life interesting! Jan

I try on everything, go over accessories, walk in the shoes, etc... prior to packing, but it seems there is always something during the cruise that just goes wrong.

One cruise it was I forgot the little scissors to clip of the hanger things (whadyacallthem :confused:), the little straps inside the dress to hold it on the hanger. All night long I was tucking the darn things back into my dress but they kept popping out. The embarrasing part was a woman I know tucked them in for me a couple times as well :o Now I cut them off as soon as I make a decision to keep a dress/jacket/top.

My last cruise, new shoes, I'd tried them on and walked in them around the house, even up and down stairs. When I put them on the first formal night, they were too big :eek: to the point of falling off my feet. I'll never know how that happened. My solution was hard to hold hair spray. In desperation I sprayed the inside, waited until almost dry and put them on...they stuck to my feet. I had to peel them off when we got back to the cabin.

Once I didn't have ankle socks, just the longer fold down kind, I don't care for the look with shorts/sneakers. My feet are big, so I borrowed my husbands socks. I do understand that shorts/sneakers can be a wardrobe malfunction as well, but we were going to be walking over 2 miles that day on different terrain/rocks/dirt/heat.

I tend to pack lighter and don't take "choices", what I have with me has to work.

Anyone else suffer from wardrobe malfunction away from home?

Shoes always seem to be a problem for me. One pair may feel great one day and kill me the next. I always try to have a couple of options for day-time ports/excursions. And same thing for evenings.

use to be with pantyhose but since i dont wear anymore, now its more with shoes and what ones will i be able to wear that night--my feet swell in humidity

--and a couple of times with my bras showing but a little dress tape took care of that

also sometimes with jewelry...clasp breaks or chain tangles something like that--

sometimes with hubby its he cant get his shirt collar buttoned--have to find one of those button extenders for this cruise....but

thankfully nothin major

quote]

I use on the hangars all the time at home. I have learnt to tuck them into my bra. Nail clippers work as well as scissors.;)

I always seem to forget some important medical something, surprising because my JIC kit weighs about a pound. Last summer I scraped my toe and it was starting to get infected. Forgot Neosporin at home. Used antibacterial gel. Worked perfectly.

Kathy, just OT for a moment.....how was your cruise??? Mine was

great:D It rained both days in San Francisco but that is SF;) and it

was quite cold there too....but the cruise was wonderful:) and I hope

yours was too!

Malfunctions....oh wow, I can't remember which port I was sailing

from but I remember the handle on my carry on broke:rolleyes:.....I had to

hold it down in one spot......oh wait, I do remember..it was a Caribbean

cruise because I went to CVS in KeyWest and got myself a nylon

carryon to use.....gave the other one to my cabin attendant and told

them if they want to get the handle fixed they could keep it. They

were quite happy to do that:)

Hey, Lois :) Our trip was a lot of fun. We had one day of rain in Astoria, but San Francisco was lovely for us. We did the hop on hop off bus there, which I wouldn't ever recommend to anyone. It was so horrible we ended up laughing the hardest, it's one of those times we will never forget! We had a bit of rain in Vancouver a day after disembarking, no big deal, we had umbrellas. All the port stops were wonderful, we didn't get off in Astoria except to go to the little shopping place in port, I wasn't feeling well that day and we'd been to town prior to this trip.

I would do this itinerary again in a heartbeat. Although, we have other trips in mind right now. Our next planned cruise isn't until 09/13, but we may do a reverse repo from VAN to LA in 09/12 just to get our cruise fix in. The next big one will be Canada/New England, another cooler weather cruise. I talked to mu husband and told him we just have to do a Caribbean cruise someday!

I have to say that when I opened this thread, I thought I was going to see pictures of people captured with mishaps on the ships. LOL Sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night and was looking for a little pick-me-up chuckle for the day. :D

I have to say that when I opened this thread, I thought I was going to see pictures of people captured with mishaps on the ships. LOL Sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night and was looking for a little pick-me-up chuckle for the day. :D

Nah, unless it was of myself, I could not be so mean as to post others mishaps. I promised my husband not to post pics of us online, but I suppose I could have posted a pic of my big shoe. My feet are so big it may have scared some :p

For a chuckle at other peoples expense, try peopleofwalmart.com. But I have to warn you, it is addicting.

For a chuckle at other peoples expense, try peopleofwalmart.com. But I have to warn you, it is addicting.

THIS is exactly what made me click on this thread thinking that was what I was going to see. LOL We have been looking at that website for many years. Hilarious! I have to admit, I've probably seen a majority of them at a few of our local Walmarts. hehe :D

Not sure of this is a malfunction – but…perhaps a malfunction solution.

Last week on the Freedom I spilled an entire glass of red wine on my white linen pants. I didn’t even try to remove the stain (salt, club soda, clear alcohol) as it was simply too big. (think lap and leg full of wine stain.) The next morning I sent the pants to be dry cleaned on board and they came back IN PERFECT CONDITION. In fact – better than they ever looked and only $4.50. Kudos to the RCCL laundry staff!

Another solution.

Once I forgot the strapless bra for dress. so I used a strapless bathing suit. (luckily the dress was black as the suit was a print). I think the bathing suit gave me a leaner line.

M

Great news about the linen pants. A few years back, it didn't matter what I did, I always spilled red wine on everything. Sometimes it was from the few drops spilled over the side of the glass from servers, just a drop would ruin a clothing item.

I'm so very careful now, but for a while there I did consider not buying any clothing that was not the color of red wine.

Years ago, took one pair of dressy white shoes to wear on a one week cruise (along with the usual flip flops etc). Went to put the

white ones on for dinner in NO the night before our cruise and BOTH were for the L shoe - never thought to try both of them on, but you can bet I do now! Tossed them in the garbage (Shopko special - no big loss), and wore flip flops the rest of the cruise!

That reminds me of the time my DH (not dear that morning) packed my shoes for disembarkation when we sent out the luggag the night before. I know I had them set aside, he swears I put them out of the closet for packing. Since I'm always right, there you go ;)

My daughter, about 9 at the time and wearing a womens size 5 shoe, had her flip flops and a pair of sneakers. So, I disembarked wearing a pair of size 5 flip flops on my size 10 feet. I probably could have made the peopleofwalmart site.

My other shoe malfunction was upon disembarking (once again). We got to the waiting lounge and I noticed my clogs (woven leather, old and beloved) a little of the weave was loose on the right shoe. Then the left shoe. We got up to walk off the ship, the weaves were popping out one at a time. By the time we made it through the parking lot, I had only soles with a few strands of the upper leather clinging to them. It was so weird how they just disintegrated at the same time, must have been the sea air. DH (again, not "dear") thought it was ever so amusing.

I haven't had any wardrobe malfunctions (thankfully) but I saw one. A well-endowed woman wanted to make sure she didn't get tan lines while sunning on the Lido so she pulled the straps of her one-piece bathing suit off her shoulders. She also pulled the top down a little. No problem there as her entire bosom was fully covered. However, the way the bathing suit sat after being moved created a line across her chest. The suit must have had eleastic in it right there. It divided each boob into 2 boobs-a top and bottom. I swear to you it looked like she had 4 boobs. It was very, very odd.

Ok, I have another one. This is so bad and embarrassing. When in Aruba I bought this knee length flowy dress that is so pretty and I felt so cute in it. I was sashaying around the ship on a sea day feeling particularly adorable and I went down stairs to get the 3 o:clock warm cookies. A woman peeks her head around the corner and say's: hey lady. I think she is trying to sell me a watch or something:D But no, she whispers to me that my dress is tucked into my underwear. Now, wouldn't you think my husband might have mentioned that to me as I kissed him goodbye and left our cabin. I saw her a few more times on the ship and she always gave me the once over to see if my husband had left me out in the open again.

That was really embarrassing:eek:

A word to the wise, check your backside and don't count on your husband seeing anything:D

Kris

Ok, I have another one. This is so bad and embarrassing. When in Aruba I bought this knee length flowy dress that is so pretty and I felt so cute in it. I was sashaying around the ship on a sea day feeling particularly adorable and I went down stairs to get the 3 o:clock warm cookies. A woman peeks her head around the corner and say's: hey lady. I think she is trying to sell me a watch or something:D But no, she whispers to me that my dress is tucked into my underwear. Now, wouldn't you think my husband might have mentioned that to me as I kissed him goodbye and left our cabin. I saw her a few more times on the ship and she always gave me the once over to see if my husband had left me out in the open again.

That was really embarrassing:eek:

A word to the wise, check your backside and don't count on your husband seeing anything:D

Kris

Been there, done that!

Archived