Too early to pack?

vxv0409

Cruise departs next Thursday.. I'm thinking of packing all my shorts/shirts/socks and everything that CAN be packed early tonight (using the ziploc bags). Do you think the clothes would be fine or will they wrinkle too much that I should wait until Monday or Tuesday to pack?

That really depends on how you pack. Our last cruise, I had to pack a week early and everything was fine. I use plastic dry cleaner bags on just about everything.

The one thing I've had happen when packing too soon is that you sometimes forget that something is already packed, so you pack it again. What I've done to avoid this is to have everything ready to pack (I use a rolling rack out of the bedroom) and pack from there. Packing only takes a few minutes that way and you can see exactly what you've got. Everything is hung up and waiting, folded clothes/shoes/toiletries and odds/ends are right there.

That really depends on how you pack. Our last cruise, I had to pack a week early and everything was fine. I use plastic dry cleaner bags on just about everything.

The one thing I've had happen when packing too soon is that you sometimes forget that something is already packed, so you pack it again. What I've done to avoid this is to have everything ready to pack (I use a rolling rack out of the bedroom) and pack from there. Packing only takes a few minutes that way and you can see exactly what you've got. Everything is hung up and waiting, folded clothes/shoes/toiletries and odds/ends are right there.

Great idea, thanks.

I keep all my sundries packed like books, bathroom stuff, laynards .. but I leave the clothes to pack until last and then I just lay then on top until the last night.

Can you leave out the stuff that wrinkles to fold last?

I used to use the rolling rack for pre-packing until a family member borrowed it and failed to return it. Now I pre-pack all the things that are not going to wrinkle or be damaged and keep my cosmetic/drugs kit packed all the time.

I keep my hanging stuff hanging on hangers until the last couple hours and then finish packing.

I lay things out on a bed in the spare room for about a week before the cruise. I look at things and change things around and then do a "practice pack" a few days before the cruise. After that I take out the special dresses that might wrinkle and just lay them out next to the suitcase.

My husband packs his own things.

Totally my own way of doing things, I pack the afternoon of my flight. I always take a red-eye from the Left Coast to FLL which leaves about 11:00-11:30, and I pack about 4:00 that afternoon. I found that when I used to pack early, I'd forget if I'd packed a certain item :p so I'd have to unpack until I found what ever it was that caused my temp. panic;:eek: so for the last 3 or 4 cruises, I just wait until the last afternoon to pack.

Hmm; waiting til the last afternoon MAY be slightly too hectic for me. I will probably begin to pack stuff tonight that won't wrinkle. I'm just wondering if the t shirts would wrinkle...

has anyone tried downy wrinkle releaser? I would just pack the t shirts and athletic shorts now.. not formal gowns or anything dressy.

Cruise departs next Thursday.. I'm thinking of packing all my shorts/shirts/socks and everything that CAN be packed early tonight (using the ziploc bags). Do you think the clothes would be fine or will they wrinkle too much that I should wait until Monday or Tuesday to pack?

They will be fine.

For dress shirts and some items that you think may wrinkle a trick is to put the kind of plastic bags you get from the dry cleaner over them. But either way, you can start packing.

Enjoy!

Keith

Hmm; waiting til the last afternoon MAY be slightly too hectic for me. I will probably begin to pack stuff tonight that won't wrinkle. I'm just wondering if the t shirts would wrinkle...

has anyone tried downy wrinkle releaser? I would just pack the t shirts and athletic shorts now.. not formal gowns or anything dressy.

If you have everything ready to go, packing is a breeze, it takes me no more than 20-30 minutes to put everything into the suitcase.

I have my carry on...toiletries and other things, packed all the time. We find we need the same stuff whether gone overnight or 3 weeks, so it's always good to go. Other than clothing, we don't pack anything differently than we would for any other type of vacation.

Got it, at the very least I'll lay everything out tonight. (Will probably end up packing it away to ensure I don't wear it and have to wash it again, and because of my anticipation levels!)

Thank you all for such quick replies.

I lay things out on a bed in the spare room for about a week before the cruise. I look at things and change things around and then do a "practice pack" a few days before the cruise. After that I take out the special dresses that might wrinkle and just lay them out next to the suitcase.

My husband packs his own things.

Are you me? I do exactly the same thing! I plan out and put my outfits together at least a week before we cruise. I don't pack them until the day before we cruise, but it's a snap because I have everything I need hanging on an over the door hanging thingy or laid out on the guest bed. My DH also packs for himself about two days before we leave. He knows if anything gets wrinkled I always have my trusty steamer with me and I'm glad to steam out a few wrinkles for him.....he's paying for my cruise!!!!:D:D:D

I use Downy Wrinkle Release all the time...works best on t-shirts and Polo type shirts. Have to use a little more on things like khaki shorts, but they make a travel size bottle that you can buy in Target that I always take on trips! Good Luck

PS I am an early packer too!:p

Archived