All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Do the interior rooms have an iron? Or is there a common space on each floor for ironing?

If not, are we allowed to bring an iron on board?

Thanks in advance

No irons in rooms. No self serve laundry rooms on the decks. No irons allowed to be brought aboard the ships.

Do the interior rooms have an iron? Or is there a common space on each floor for ironing?

Thanks in advance

There are no guest laundry or ironing rooms, and irons are not allowed.

Royal provides a laundry and dry cleaning services at reasonable prices.

Edited by clarea

Guest maddycat

Thanks in advance

The ship's laundry will press garments at a reasonable price.

The last time we were on Explorer, self-disembarkation was started by 7:45am or so.

Remember at Bayonne if you are doing self debarkation you have to walk off the ship with your luggage and then take it onto a shuttle bus to take you to the terminal/customs area, last week there were a lot of seniors doing this who struggled as the elevators were full and then they had to struggle with luggage.

No irons in rooms. No self serve laundry rooms on the decks. No irons allowed to be brought aboard the ships.

I don't know if this will help you with your ironing problem or not. My teenage daughter has been known to iron something quickly using her hair straightener and hair straighteners are allowed on board. I personally wouldn't recommend it but hey I have to give her full marks for creativity.

I don't know if this will help you with your ironing problem or not. My teenage daughter has been known to iron something quickly using her hair straightener and hair straighteners are allowed on board. I personally wouldn't recommend it but hey I have to give her full marks for creativity.

I don't have an ironing problem. Nothing I bring onto a cruise ship needs such treatment. Oh, and my hair doesn't require the use of a straightener either.:D

Thanks in advance

Just hang your wrinkled clothes in the bathroom when you shower... steam does a good job taking on the wrinkles.

Can someone please explain the embarkation, debarkation process on the Explorer, regarding luggage, shuttle, etc? We'll be taking a car service from and to Bergen County. This is the first time we'll be cruising out of Bayonne and I understand we have to take a shuttle to get to the ship after we drop off our luggage? Is it the same returning??

Thanks in advance.

Robyn, have a great cruise !

Can someone please explain the embarkation, debarkation process on the Explorer, regarding luggage, shuttle, etc? We'll be taking a car service from and to Bergen County. This is the first time we'll be cruising out of Bayonne and I understand we have to take a shuttle to get to the ship after we drop off our luggage? Is it the same returning??

Thanks in advance.

You get dropped off in front of the terminal. Leave your bags with a porter. Enter the terminal and go through security. Check-in, get your SeaPass cards, and a shuttle number. Wait for your shuttle number to be called, then get on the bus, take a 2 minute ride to the ship, and board.

Returning you get off in order of your luggage tag number, board the shuttle for the 2 min ride back to the terminal. Find your bags, go thru customs, and out.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks!!!! I'm really looking forward to this one!!!!! When are you sailing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

You get dropped off in front of the terminal. Leave your bags with a porter. Enter the terminal and go through security. Check-in, get your SeaPass cards, and a shuttle number. Wait for your shuttle number to be called, then get on the bus, take a 2 minute ride to the ship, and board.

Returning you get off in order of your luggage tag number, board the shuttle for the 2 min ride back to the terminal. Find your bags, go thru customs, and out.

Thanks! I appreciate the info. I wasn't sure how it worked.

Thanks!!!! I'm really looking forward to this one!!!!! When are you sailing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

March 2 Eastern Carib itinerary. I would much rather cruise to Bermuda our fave cruise port. I still remember our visit to Horseshoe Bay.... sigh.

Looking to book Explorer for our next cruise. First thing out of my teenagers mouth, I don't see Sorrento's on the deck plan!! That being said. I'm sure there is pizza, where would you get it?

We were on Freedom in the summer. I assume The Café Promenade is similar to that. They show an ice cream parlor on the promenade level as well, is that self serve like sprinkles on the Freedom pool deck?

I see an Island Grill behind the WJ, what is the story there?

Lastly I see Freedom and Explorer both have a small place next to Viking Crown Lounge called Seven Hearts. Never ventured up there. They mention food as well.

Thanks in advance for helping me understand these areas.

Looking to book Explorer for our next cruise. First thing out of my teenagers mouth, I don't see Sorrento's on the deck plan!! That being said. I'm sure there is pizza, where would you get it?

We were on Freedom in the summer. I assume The Café Promenade is similar to that. They show an ice cream parlor on the promenade level as well, is that self serve like sprinkles on the Freedom pool deck?

Lastly I see Freedom and Explorer both have a small place next to Viking Crown Lounge called Seven Hearts. Never ventured up there. They mention food as well.

Pizza is at Cafe Promenade. Just slices, not whole pizzas like you can get at Sorrento's. There is soft-serve ice cream (prob frozen yogurt) on the pool deck. Island Grill is just another section of Windjammer. Seven Hearts is a card room, sometimes used for other events like wedding receptions. No food up in Viking Crown.

Sorrento's was not "invented" until they started building the Freedom class ships. Almost everything that you would find in there is in the Café Promenade on the Voyager class ships.

The ice cream area on Explorer's Promenade is an extra charge Ben and Jerry's. They removed Sprinkles from the Promenade years ago. They do have a self serve station on the pool deck (deck 11).

The Island Grill is just the back section of the Windjammer. Same food, nice views out over the stern of the ship.

Seven Hearts is a game room. They have some board games up there. If you are lucky they will even have all of the pieces.

Pizza is not on my radar, so I can't help you there.

The Cafe Promenade is similar to Freedom's. The ice cream on the promenade is Ben & Jerry's (fee). There is a frozen ice cream machine on the pool deck 11 but no sprinkles. Ice cream is always available for dessert at lunch and dinner in the MDR.

Island Grill is just part of the WJ. The more interesting food is stashed back here. Just skip the front of the WJ and head to the back to see the full selection of choices.

Seven Hearts is a card room. It has a great view and is often used as an overflow area for the Diamond Lounge or the Concierge Lounge and occasionally for some private functions.

Back in 2010 I wrote Captain Olav a letter, and he invited me to come on the ship and spend the day with him. I'm in high school now and still want to be like him and captain a cruise ship, now I am finally going on the Explorer of the Seas for a cruise in July of 2014 and really hope he is still the captain, anyone know?