Demagnetised room keys

piscesgal223

Has this happened to anyone else?I've been on two HAL cruises, and *both* times my key card has been demagnentised. On the Oosterdam it happened multiple times(we finally figured out what the culprit was-the magnetic catch on my camera case!).:eek:

It happened on my most recent HAL cruise, too(not sure what did it though)

I'm curious if this has happened to anyone who's been on other cruise lines besides HAL.

Has this happened to anyone else?I've been on two HAL cruises, and *both* times my key card has been demagnentised. On the Oosterdam it happened multiple times(we finally figured out what the culprit was-the magnetic catch on my camera case!).:eek:

It happened on my most recent HAL cruise, too(not sure what did it though)

I'm curious if this has happened to anyone who's been on other cruise lines besides HAL.

Ive had this happen to me with a hotel room key.

I slipped the key in a pocket of my purse.

The hotel said it demagnetised because of my cell phone in the same pocket:confused:

:) For some reason it happens to me on almost every cruise at least once and never happens to Linda. Must be my magnetic personality!

That's what we concluded had happened to one of the people in our group on the Oosterdam. Her card had demagnetized at least 3-4 times during a 7-day cruise. We suspected it was the beverage card magnetic strip interfering with her room card, since they were both in the same lanyard pocket. I kept the magnetic strips separated on my soda, beverage, and room cards, and I had no problems.

No magnetic clasps on our camera bags. She & I have the same camera bag, and mine was fine.

I had this happen on our last Princess cruise. It was one day and it happened probably three times. I never did figure out what caused it and it was the only day that it happened

Happens to my hubby every vacation...whether it's a ship or hotel....your cell phone will demagnatize your key, too. I have a magnet on my smallest purse...if I happen to stick the key near the magnet.....bam....have to have it fixed!

I've had this happen a couple of times as well. I finally determined it was the magnetic clasp on my evening bag, so I switched to a small bag that had a zipper instead of a magnet and haven't had any problems since! I always carry my camera in my evening bag, and haven't had problems with the two together, but if I had a cell phone there, it might be a different story.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

My wife used to teach pre-school. She was re-decorating her room with posters using magnetic strips with sticky adhesive on one side. She was distracted when she was ready to leave for the day and stuck a roll of the magnetic stuff in her purse, next to her wallet. This was a Saturday afternoon.

It ended up demagnatizing all of her credit cards and her ATM card. She didn't discover this until Sunday afternoon when she was 100 miles from home on a visit to one of our DDs at college and she went to get gas for the drive home. Of course she had NO cash on her either.

I was not so pleased on the trip to 'rescue' her!

So, it could be worse than having to go to the front desk and have your room card re-programed!

Yes, this has happened to me often, both with hotel key cards and cruise ships... either HAL or RCI. It's a bit of a pain but quickly remedied with a trip to the front desk. I still have no idea why, as my card is often the only thing I have on me so not affected by anything else. Just me:rolleyes:

Many ladies' purses have magnetic anti-theft strips sewn into the lining of the purse. This is not removed when you purchase the bag. It is often the suspected cause of defective room keys.

Silk clothing generates quite a bit of static electricity. This often zaps your cabin key.

You are not alone. I had it happen to me on the NCL cruise we took. I was told it was my iPod that caused it. I was leaning towards the case my iPod sat in with the magnetic closure.

I sometimes slip a CC, DL and debit card between the silicone case and my iPhone. Haven't had a problem yet. My vote is on the magnets.

Guess we've been lucky lately as I don't remember the last time we had a card go bad on us. Not saying it hasn't happened but nothing recently except for things like the hotel programming us for one night when we were staying three....that kind of thing. I carry my iPhone in my pocket all the time, at least in the US, and haven't made an issue of making sure a room card or such doesn't wind up in the same pocket. On our Maasdam cruise I carried a small Sony digital camera in a pocket almost every day for most of the day and had no problem but again I didn't pay a lot of attention to whether or not the camera and cabin key were in the same pocket or not. I don't think we have anything that has a magnet closure other than maybe one or two of my wife's purses but I don't recall her having issues but she doesn't carry a purse around much on a cruise. Like I said, maybe we've just been lucky.

This is such a commonplace thing now -look at all the causes people have listed here-that we were appalled to witness a neptune lounge passenger fling her demagnetized keycard at the concierges while ranting at them for this. Happened two years ago. That was brutal enough treatment of the staff by the passenger, but what was worse was the dismissal and abrupt termination of these two staff members. Maybe there were other reasons, but we had been treated so well by these people we were stunned by the impact of a rather spurious complaint by a crazy-rude passenger.

Archived