Shopping in Kusadasi - Besides Rugs

What else is there to shop for besides rugs in Kusadasi/Ephesus? I dont mind doing a little shopping while on this tour, but have no desire to go to a rug factory. What have you found to be the best value here?

Yes, there are many many leather goods and jewelry stores there. We didn't buy either of those, but I opted for 2 woven bags (purses - larger like beach bags) for 5 Euros each, absolutely beautiful!! I also got some trinkets, and some woven bookmarks - you will see them everywhere - 2 for one Euro. They make great little gifts.

Not sure when you are going but the Turkish peaches are in season right now - biggest I have ever seen in my life. I know you can't bring them home but I thought I'd mention it. They looked amazing.

Kusadasi is a charming port, much lovelier than either of us had imagined. We felt safe walking around there and it was easy to walk and shop. The vendors are agressive, just so you know. Walk with purpose and you'll be OK. :)

Langley Cruisers is correct. Very aggressive vendors particularly in the Bazaar. But don't let that deter you. Still an interesting experience. As mentioned walk with purpose and just keep saying no thanks. It really is quite amazing how the vendors communicate with each other. If you stop to look at something in one shop, another shop down the way will know what you were looking at and highlight. Quite uncanny. Also do not wear any identifying Tshirt or hat from where you live. Every vendor will tell you they have an uncle or some relative living right beside you. I actually quite enjoy the challenge.

My DD bought a cute pair of genie type pants for 12 euros. I got a silk pashima for 10. I noticed some good buys on leather goods as well as jewelry. There was also some cute pottery and brass objects that make great little trinket gifts.

I actually loved shopping in the bazaar. Unfortunately my daughter had chipped a tooth that afternoon and wanted to go back to the ship early. I cut my shopping short without getting the wallet/handbag that I planned. Although my other DD did bring back a hookah for a friend that she found for 10 euros.

Our good friend collects old tools. So when we visited one of many rug places and watched a lady doing the delicate weaving/knotting, he noticed an old 'comb'. It is used to draw down the last row of woven yarn and tighten the weave to the bottom row.

After some bartering he bought it for five dollars. It now hangs on the wall in his garage with tons of other 'stuff'. http://www.*****.com/greekisles.htm#comb

My wife was satisfied with some fancy pillow cases.

Leather bound journals, Turkish tea sets, trivets/tiles, spices, are all great buys. My favorite items are the art works, called Ottoman or Turkish miniatures, where they illustrate old pages from textbooks, etc from 1700's. We looked in a few stores, but made the best bargain in a ship-recommended store( shocking, I know).

Leather goods and jewellry

I agree with this. My husband bought a beautiful leather coat a few years ago and everyone compliments him when he wears it. He purchased it at Sultan Leather goods. (They will discount, too). I purchased a pair of gold/silver earrings and I wear them every day. I got them at one of the better jewelry stores. I also got a discount. Sometimes the stores will give you discounts just because you are on a cruise ship. Be sure to ask.

Have fun shopping.

We were with a group of 8 when we visited Kusadisi last fall and four of them bought beautiful high-quality and stylish leather jackets. We had taken a private tour of Ephesus, and then on the way back asked the tour director if she could recommend a quality leather shop-she of course knew someone who had a shop.

I would advise you to be cautious when buying jewelry-I was looking at Pandora charms (like to buy one in places we visit) and they had displays of them along with signs stating they were Pandora-upon closer examination to me they did not look quite like Pandora quality so I asked the shopkeeper and was told that they are not really Pandora-no one in Turkey was licensed to see Pandora. It made me distrusting when things are intentionally mis-labled, and we did not buy anything...

The shopping is plentiful,aggressive in the Bazzar for sure,but be careful in the shops as well.. as they say they sell one of a kind,but in reality they all(or most) sell the same things and not all pricing is the same.Know pricing,have an idea what you want,but if not all the $$$ and you really want it....buy it,and enjoy. :D

We bought a nice painted dish. Also a big woven bag, that came in handy to carry purchases on the plane. Leather looked to be a great price. Lots of jewelry stores, but who can tell what you are getting.

There are many great stores at the port. Jewelry and Leather are great buys including women's purses.

You should know what you think the item is worth if you are interested in it. Do not focus on the original price. Focus on the price you are willing to pay meaning start well below that price.

The experience is actually a good one and we have found the locals to be very friendly. They do know what they are doing and many have been there for a very long time.

Keith

As you can see from my "screen name", I am an avid golfer and I have found the bazaar in Kusadasi very good for polo shirts. They are "brand" names and very good quality.

However, make sure that you either try them on or at least pull them out of their packaging to check the sizing. I was there twice last year and bought several, but most are labelled XXL and I am not a large person. They do stand up well to washing.

PS - Bargaining is expected at all the shops/stalls in Kusadasi.

One of the best souvenirs we got was taking a picture of one of the signs over some of the store that said "Genuine Fakes". We still laugh over it. We also found a store that had pottery from all over Turkey. They had such interesting pieces. Not cheap and hard to get back, but worth the effort. We were just walking around all the stores by the dock. It was a street or two back. Just window shop and you will find lots of treasures.:D

I also bought a leather coat in Kusadasi. Now I think about it, it was four years ago and it has had endless wear. I think this year I will look for a long coat as I am going on to England for several weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

We bought pottery at one of the ceramic factories. The artwork on them was gorgeous. They were packaged very well for traveling. I also bought a table runner at a bath & linen shops near the port. They had beautiful Turkish towels, embroidered tablecloths, and bedding, but they were not practical to carry back. My mom bought a fantastic 18kt necklace with precious stones. It was very well made. We had a loop with us so we could look at the stones. It was in a small jewelry shop and we were referred by the owner of the bath shop so we felt like it was a quality store. Mom had it appraised when she got back and it was an excellent purchase.

DW bought a leather coat there 18 years ago. It was a bargain. She still wears it. We are going next month so who knows what we will buy. You need to be very careful when you shop-there is a huge variance in quality and workmanship that is not always obvious at first glance.

When you're buying leather goods please be very careful, as many of the designer handbags (purses) are "genuine fakes" as noted by flymeaway. Still OK I guess.. as long as you know what you're buying!

You can usually get the price down quite a lot by bartering. Last year, my husband wanted a pair of shoes and when we walked away, the shop-owner followed us and we got the price down to ONE THIRD of what it said on the box!!

What else is there to shop for besides rugs in Kusadasi/Ephesus? I dont mind doing a little shopping while on this tour, but have no desire to go to a rug factory. What have you found to be the best value here?

KNock-offs and leather bags. Believe it or not, Turkey IS known for excellent leather. THe better leather shops are in the covered/air conditioned bazaar...ALso, if u keep looking, I found knock off Louis Vuitton scarves/shawls in some of the shops--u have to look...

Tons and tons of "genuine fake" watches if you like those.

At the port, there is this shop which sells organic Turkish delight. You get to mix and match the types and create a custom box, which is then weighed and priced accordingly. They give you ENDLESS samples and the people there are super friendly and nice. Prices are not too unreasonable (around 5 Euros per 11" x 5" box), and the staff voluntarily gives discounts if you purchase multiple items. The food is clean. Didn't see another shop like this in the Bazaar and the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul the day after. Btw, Turkish delight in the Grand Bazaar is scary - I saw an ant crawling INSIDE a pre-packaged box of candies.

Our ship will be at Kusadasi port on a sunday. Are shops and restaurants open on a sunday?

Kusadasi is a tourist town. Things will be open on Sunday.

On top of that Turkey is a country that is overwhelmingly Islamic. While Sunday is still a weekend day, it's not a religious day for most.

Archived