Mariner Society Service

ironin

All too often, it seems that the negative experiences with this or that department (or ship) are immediately broadcast to all and sundry while those with positive experiences feel no need to sound off about them or are often overlooked when they do.

Yesterday, the folks at the Mariner Society office really went the extra mile in response to what was a somewhat idle curiosity question. The details are relatively trivial but their quick and compassionate response was far from trivial to me personally. They didn't have to, they could easily have said "Not my problem" with clear consciences, but they didn't. I'd like to publicly thank Lisa Marie and the others she works for their kindness and prompt attention.

When diagnosed with inoperable cholangiocarcinoma earlier this week, I was advised to get my affairs in order. Calling HAL and cancelling our reservations for cruises later this year and next year was part of that. The folks in that department were as friendly and efficient as I have always found them to be in the past. In fact, it was was something mentioned during that conversation which occasioned the curiosity call to the Mariner Society.

It's an apparent fact of life that negative experiences are more likely to motivate posts and comments, and sometimes employees are singled out by name for disapprobation or ridicule. Consider taking more time in the future to share, and compliment, those who provide good service, those who do their job well.

Why not start now, and use this thread to say something nice / share a positive experience about a Holland America employee or department?

Smooth sailing to you all.

There are times in life when I cannot find the right words to express what I am thinking or feeling... and this is one of them. I am so sorry.

I need a little time to think about it, because I haven't had any bad experiences on HAL, and everything is usually pretty darned special to us.

Oh my gosh ironin, I am so sorry to hear about this :( And I also know you did not want this thread to turn into this but rather complimenting HAL and saying good things. First off prayers going out to you. I know how much you love cruising is there any way to take one of those cruises now.

I agree that HAL does go out of their way to assist and will go that extra mile.

I am amongst those that are a loss for words right now, I know, unbelievable huh?:)

God Bless you Ironin and may the Lord keep you and your family at his side during the time you have and the future:)

I cannot mention the good people I have dealt with at HAL by name (once smacked on the knuckles by CC Hosts for doing so,) But the first is my HAL PCC, she is the best!! HAL Shore Excursions in Seattle, HAL Event Coordinators for Nieuw Amsterdam, Westerdam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam and Noordam!! HAL Access and Compliance Department, HAL Phone Reps when I call for a generalized question and last but definitely NOT least, the Officers and Crew of ALL of HAL Ships!!!

Joanie

Ironin, while I'm pleased to read that HAL was gracious and kind I would expect no less and I am deeply saddened to read about your illness. All too often we bicker here about so many truly trivial things. But I have always felt with you that underneath any disagreements that we might have, you have a good heart and can see two sides in most situations.

I am so sorry about this diagnosis and will keep you in my prayers during what I know will be a difficult time for you. God bless you.

All too often, it seems that the negative experiences with this or that department (or ship) are immediately broadcast to all and sundry while those with positive experiences feel no need to sound off about them or are often overlooked when they do.

Yesterday, the folks at the Mariner Society office really went the extra mile in response to what was a somewhat idle curiosity question. The details are relatively trivial but their quick and compassionate response was far from trivial to me personally. They didn't have to, they could easily have said "Not my problem" with clear consciences, but they didn't. I'd like to publicly thank Lisa Marie and the others she works for their kindness and prompt attention.

When diagnosed with inoperable cholangiocarcinoma earlier this week, I was advised to get my affairs in order. Calling HAL and cancelling our reservations for cruises later this year and next year was part of that. The folks in that department were as friendly and efficient as I have always found them to be in the past. In fact, it was was something mentioned during that conversation which occasioned the curiosity call to the Mariner Society.

It's an apparent fact of life that negative experiences are more likely to motivate posts and comments, and sometimes employees are singled out by name for disapprobation or ridicule. Consider taking more time in the future to share, and compliment, those who provide good service, those who do their job well.

Why not start now, and use this thread to say something nice / share a positive experience about a Holland America employee or department?

I am touched by the spirit which you show in this message. Many others are wishing you God's blessing and certainly you deserve it. But it appears to me you already recognize that God's blessing is with you and you are passing it along with this post. I don't know you but I'd guess you do so in many other ways as well.

Thank you for challenging me to do the same.

Oh My -- I am so sorry to hear this. Tears are in my eyes as I write.

Prayers for your family and you as you go through these difficult times.

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Life is just plain unfair sometimes and it is hard to understand why. Please continue to post here on CC and let us know how you are making out. I have always enjoyed your posts and great attitude and send along good thoughts and prayers for you.

ironin,

Thank you for your post, it must have been difficult for you to write this message.

We are so very very sorry to learn of your diagnosis.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

A positive experience from the Mariner Department was that after my enquiry as to whether we should have recieved the 100 day medals on board the ship, they posted the medals to us, included in the parcel was a gift of Mariner Society fridge magnets, very pretty, and most unexpected.

The parcel was sent international airmail and arrived very quickly after my enquiry.

Was very impressed with the service.

I join with all the others who are sorry and sad to hear about this. I have always tried to thank those who have done things for me, even the smallest of things, and in your honor, I will step it up and be even more diligent about it.

Ironin,

Bill and I are so sorry to hear of your diagnosis...we'll keep you in our prayers.

We've had good responses from HAL in the past - Bill sent an email after our last cruise (Eurodam, Canada/New England last September - with you!), with a couple of small problems, but also some good words about the crew. He received an extremely nice letter back, with a copy of their book of art on the ships! My thought is that it's always nice to let people know when they've done well...sometimes it might be the only good words they'll hear! :)

Laura

Oh my heavens Ironin - I am just stunned. I feel so badly for you. You are in your prayers and i do hope you are one of those that surprise everyone.

I know this wasn't the intention of your thread - but you are such a joy on the boards that I know everyone is thunderstruck.

And I'm sorry, I can't remember the girls' name either - but she was awesome from lost and found. HAL said they didn't have it and she called three weeks later apologizing up and down (what for? I left it there?). Service was tremendous and yes, I did a thread. There are some great people in HAL and some great people in the world and you are one of them. God Bless & take care.

ironin

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis, prayer are definately coming for you and your family.

I do have to agree with you and others in this thread, i spent about an hour on the phone today with HAL reservations making a change in our reservervation for December. The CS rep was unsure regarding our already purchased items so spent time asking the people in ship services and in the accounting department. I wish she was a PCC because I would definately ask for her

Oh, Ironin, I am so sorry to read you news. I wish you the best always and will keep you in my prayers.

I'm happy that you had such a positive experience dealing with the Mariner Society, and am overwhelmed you started a thread of praise when you have so much on your mind. I promise to spend more time looking for the positive every day.

Wow! Thank you all for your good wishes and prayers! Not what I expected to find upon returning and I was really, really moved by them.

Permit me a couple of off-topic digressions in a largely somewhat lighter vein:

Heather: The two of us do tend to be on "opposite" sides during various debates, don't we? :D Not sure if I've said this before, but I do have a high regard for your opinion, which is precisely why I've engaged you in debate on occasion. At times, I've wondered if that came through and it sounds like it has. In truth, I've looked in on Molly's blog a few times, was tempted to leave a funny/cheering comment after seeing the MRI post a couple of months ago but thought it might feel like internet stalking. :eek: Heaven forbid!

RuthC: Think you will appreciate this: was told to "bulk up" and eat just about anything and everything. On the way home, I passed a See's Candies shop, turned around and had great fun selecting exactly the pieces I wanted placed into the box. Believe it or not, despite growing up with the stuff, it was the first time ever having it hand-packed. I finished them all in 2 days, too! :)

Sapper1 & KrazyKruisers: As your plates are so heavily-laden at the moment, thanks so much for sparing a thought this way. I'm hoping and praying for the best of all possible outcomes as you/yours continue to meet extraordinary challenges.

I do have some other exemplary employees I'd like to mention and will do so later. Hope others will continue to post as well.

On the way home, I passed a See's Candies shop, turned around and had great fun selecting exactly the pieces I wanted placed into the box. Believe it or not, despite growing up with the stuff, it was the first time ever having it hand-packed. I finished them all in 2 days, too! :)

From one Randy to another Randy...go for it! :D If not now, when? :)

Archived