Trying to plan...airfare for a transatlantic?

2SeaWithMe

Is there anyone who is able to give me a range of what I could expect from airfare in the fall?

I know the airfare for a transatlantic is pricey, but I just have no baseline, I've never done one way tickets.

Specifically I'd be looking for something from PHL or NYC to Barcelona, and than back from Miami to east coast.

Since I'm looking at 2012, I'll certainly take anything with a grain of salt. Has anyone had any luck using Amex points to curb the coast, or is it too much of a hassle to book with those vouchers?

Is there anyone who is able to give me a range of what I could expect from airfare in the fall?

I know the airfare for a transatlantic is pricey, but I just have no baseline, I've never done one way tickets.

Specifically I'd be looking for something from PHL or NYC to Barcelona, and than back from Miami to east coast.

You can get a rough idea of what prices are for this year

just use the multi city tab then plug in your city codes

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Of course by next year prices could be higher but it will give you an idea of routings & prices

A "regular" one-way ticket from US to Europe (or Europe to US) is usually 1.2 to 1.5 times the "regular" price of a round-trip ticket. My wife and I are taking 2 TAs this year so that we can use a discounted round-trip airfare.

I believe that Celebrity's Custom Air will offer better prices on one-way tickets.

When it comes time to actually book you airfare, I suggest being a bit flexible. We were spending a few days in Rome before our trans-Atl. I found that if we flew to Rome a day earlier than we'd planned, our one-way air would drop from $2200/pp to $450/pp. We had an extra day in Rome.

Thank you so much for all the helpful responses. I'm not a fan of flying and some of the suggestions on the airfare board had my head spinning with all the connections and open/closed/locked jaw. Okay, I threw that last one in there. ;)

Now I just have to decide if I think the airfare + cheap cruise fare amount is less than a round-trip airfare/hotel amount for a land based vacation.

I really milk my Amex points for all they are worth and should have enough for at least one of the higher priced tickets.

What tough decisions, right?

Since I don't have any particular airline I fly with (no frequent flyer at all), I use Priceline dot com and have never paid over $650. Now that is round trip, not one way.

I usually look at the prevailing rates, then do "the name your own price", starting my bidding at half of what the prevailing rate is. You have to be careful as once you bid, you are locked in, and the airfare is non-refundable. You don't know the airline or flight times until after the purchase is made, but it's worked great for me so far.

I went from LAX to Brussels for $636, LAX to Paris $450, and LAX to Budapest for $638.

Another good website to check is kayak dot com, as it lets you see what the going rates are on a few different websites. Try the multi-city buttons on the websites, not just one ways. There are good deals out there, you have time to be patient and keep looking.

I'm planning a trip from LAX to Maui and when I started looking, they wanted $1100 for airfare. I thought to myself, I wouldn't be going if I had to pay that airfare (as I'm taking my daughter & granddaughter). Then I went to work one morning early (about 6:00 am) and decided to check airfares. They were down to $415 pp, so I jumped on them. So when you see a fare around or below $800 jump on it, don't hesitate.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip!

If you have frequent flier miles, a one way transatlantic is the best way to use them. Just book as early as possible if you hope to find seats.

I second using frequent flier miles for TA flights, if at all possible. And, when we do it we try to book the day the flights open up ... generally that is 11 months in advance. I check the airline web site to see when the flight opens for sale and call the ff desk to make a reservation. Even a week later the limited seats may be gone for the day you want.

I second using frequent flier miles for TA flights, if at all possible. And, when we do it we try to book the day the flights open up ... generally that is 11 months in advance. I check the airline web site to see when the flight opens for sale and call the ff desk to make a reservation. Even a week later the limited seats may be gone for the day you want.

Problem with calling is they 9American Airlines at least) charge an extra $100 for talking to someone to use miles --- try to do it on the web site -- again, on the first day bookings open up.

I was checking many websites trying to find good prices to Europe. I wanted certain times and the cheapest I could find was $712.00 from Winnipeg to Venice and return Athens to Winnipeg. After you add the taxes its $1,500.00 each. When I hear prices like $450.00, I think that that has to be before taxes are added. I don't care how it's broken up, I just want to know what the final price will be.

I was checking many websites trying to find good prices to Europe. I wanted certain times and the cheapest I could find was $712.00 from Winnipeg to Venice and return Athens to Winnipeg. After you add the taxes its $1,500.00 each. When I hear prices like $450.00, I think that that has to be before taxes are added. I don't care how it's broken up, I just want to know what the final price will be.

Nope, that $450 round trip from LAX to Paris was including all taxes and fees. I bid on Priceline and my bid was accepted by Air Tahiti Nui. Now I had never heard of that airline, but it ended up being the absolute best airline I've flown. And for the long haul, only had two seats next to each other. We had so much room, we thought we might have to pedal. No really, the food was excellent, they greeted us with little flowers (their national flower), and all the attendants were so polite and actually nice, no attitude at all. I think they just wanted to fill the plane, as it had come from Tahiti on it's way to Paris. But I loved the airline and the airfare.:)

After you tell them your bid, another box will open telling you what your total airfare will be. At that point you either go ahead or back out, if you don't like the total. I wish they would give you the option "to name your own price" on every flight, but for my Maui trip, it wasn't available.

I booked London-JFK tickets for about $660 each including taxes, for October. Aer Lingus booked through Orbitz.

Just now a one-way ticket from JFK to Barcelona on Aer Lingus departing on a Wednesday in October is under $600 through their website.

Within the US don't forget to include Southwest Airlines in your searches. They won't show up in the online sites like Travelocity or Expedia. It used to be somewhat of a hassle to fly with Southwest but now I actually prefer them and book them when I can.

I guess we don't get cheap deals in Canada. At least somewhere other than Toronto. I tried to find flights out of North Dakota but they weren't any cheaper. Also flights to and from different locations in Europe doesn't help. Next time I will try Priceline and see if there's a better choice.

I would never recommend bidding on PL for a flight for a cruise. I wouldn't anyway, as your earn no FF miles for "name your own price" tickets. I would use PL only for rental cars or hotels.

OP - for most airlines, you can book one way award tickets now to Europe. You can also get true one way pricing on Aer Lingus, Jet Airways and Air Berlin. You didn't give your dates, but I see flights ranging from $466 to $591 for the month of September (JFK-BCN), $492-$646 in October, and $412-$546 for November. Who knows what they will be next year though.

You'd probably be better off just booking a one way ticket from Florida home; that should be pretty cheap as domestic tickets have one way pricing.

Archived