Princess website prices driving me crazy

geoherb

The prices showing up on Princess's website are driving me crazy. When displaying the cost of different categories, they show the lowest price for each type of cabin (inside, obstructed view, balcony, etc.) But when I look at the categories available in a certain type (for instance, obstructed views), the lowest categories are waitlisted.

For instance, on the Dec. 17 Grand Princess, it looks like from the search page that obstructed view cabins start at $479 plus taxes and fees. But when I look at what is available, that price only applies to the waitlisted Cat. G cabins. The real price that I could book an obstructed view cabin is $699 instead.

I think Princess should display the price of the cheapest available cabin instead of the displaying the price of waitlisted categories.

The marketing term is called bait and switch. It’s one thing if they offer that price as a grantee because you are guaranteed that category or higher. It’s another thing if you are waitlisted because from what I have read on this board the price could be higher by the time a room in this category becomes available.

Why not book a guatantee in the waitlisted category you like the price of, and hope for an upgrade when the cabin assignments are made. I did that for a last minute cruise in June, and was bumped up 4 categories within the same general category (inside cabins). That way you can satisfy YOUR price point.

This practice is typical of nearly everything that is advertised, where more than one option is offered: cars, apartments, condos, hotels, rental cars, airfares, right down to the extension ladder I was looking at on sale at Sears. It isn't just Princess or cruises or travel. And it isn't technically "bait and switch", unless the item advertised is not available or never was available at all. In this case, the advertised price was legitimately available; it's just booked up now (which is not surprising, since this is sort of on the late side to be looking at booking a December cruise) but, as mentioned above, passengers could book a guarantee in that category so, technically, the price is available to those willing to take that option.

And, for the record, I'm honestly not just being a Princess cheerleader here. I just see so many egregious advertising practices in my line of work, that this doesn't even make a blip on the radar.

I know it's frustrating, and maybe I'm just jaded, but I've come to expect exactly this when looking at prices for pretty much anything.

I wish you the very best in your cruise search. We love cruising right before Christmas, and hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Why not book a guatantee in the waitlisted category you like the price of, and hope for an upgrade when the cabin assignments are made. I did that for a last minute cruise in June, and was bumped up 4 categories within the same general category (inside cabins). That way you can satisfy YOUR price point.

The problem with doing this is the very good chance that when a cabin comes available, it won't be at the price you waitlisted at.

We went on a waitlist for a really great price on Princess in Sept. of last year. After the final payment date, we got notice that we had cleared the waitlist and a cabin was available--but the price was almost double what the price was when we waitlisted.

We turned it down, waited a few more weeks, and got an even better deal, but you have to be flexible on dates to be able to do this.

I'm not saying you can't get an upgrade and the same price, but you might not. Chances are probably better for this happening if you are booking really last minute; won't work for us because of airfare.

The OP just waited too long to book his/her cabin... Most of the cabins on cruises for 2011, especially the popular ones, are waitlisted... On my November 23 cruise, all the interiors, all the OV obstructed and most of the OVs are waitlisted (it looks like there are only 2 OV unobstructed available). However, there are plenty of balconies and mini-suites still available.

This is why it is recommended to book early... If the price drops, you will get new fare...

Why not book a guatantee in the waitlisted category you like the price of...

...but, as mentioned above, passengers could book a guarantee in that category so, technically, the price is available to those willing to take that option.
Except that the advertised price is not available as a guarantee. It is waitlisted, which means you do not get a real booking, just a place in line in case somebody else cancels. I agree with the OP that the lowest BOOKABLE price should be shown. Not the lowest price for a category that may or may not be bookable later and may or may not get you on the ship.

Keep watching that cruise. You might still be able to get a cabin at that low price. I've been checking out some in November/December and found that one day the lowest level cabins were waitlisted and the next day they weren't (and the price hadn't changed). No doubt Princess assigned the guaranteed bookings to upgraded cabins, thus freeing the lower level guarantees again. So my advice, is to keep checking and if it opens up, grab it right away.

Why not book a guatantee in the waitlisted category you like the price of, and hope for an upgrade when the cabin assignments are made.

If a category is waitlisted, that means you also cannot book a guarantee.

And if you do book it as waitlisted, there is no assurance you will clear the wait list.

If you want to be 100% sure of being on a sailing, will need to book a specific cabin or a guarantee at a highjer price.

Thanks for all the responses. My main problem is that none of the major travel websites I go to price things like Princess does. I guess I should just stick to looking at them until I find a good buy and then check on the Princess website--before calling my TA, who always does better anyway on prices.

We booked a higher level cabin for our upcoming cruise. It was easy to justify getting a balcony when it's only a few dollars more than an ocean view. But if those inside cabins were really available at that low a price, it would be hard for me to pass up the bargain, knowing that I could spend the money I was saving on a lot of things during the cruise.

Thanks for all the responses. My main problem is that none of the major travel websites I go to price things like Princess does. I guess I should just stick to looking at them until I find a good buy and then check on the Princess website--before calling my TA, who always does better anyway on prices.

We booked a higher level cabin for our upcoming cruise. It was easy to justify getting a balcony when it's only a few dollars more than an ocean view. But if those inside cabins were really available at that low a price, it would be hard for me to pass up the bargain, knowing that I could spend the money I was saving on a lot of things during the cruise.

When is final payment? If it's not for a while, do a booking under "waitlisted" for the inside cabins and if you get matched and the price is excellent, cancel your other booking. There are often cancellations right before final payment which free up space for those waitlisted.

Archived