Not a good swimmer

jessie england

Hi am not a very good swimmer but was hopeing to do

some snorkling do they offer you floating jackets on the trips

thanks for any info

Every snorkel excursion we have been on (we've done LOTS) has provided snorkel vests http://www.snorkel-mart.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=34&AllocatedProductID=127

Some work better than others. We always take our own, since you have to blow them up....eeeewwww.....no telling what is in that little tube! :eek: And I want to know that mine works. They are inexpensive and pack flat.

thanks for any info

No need to be concerned even if you tend to sink like a rock.

You will be provided with vests and should have no problem whatsoever.

Plan on having a great time.

I'm not a good swimmer either. However, after taking many snorkeling exursions over the past 10 years, I've learned 2 things:

1) Every excursion has had vests to help keep you afloat

2) The salinity of the water also helps greatly in keeping you afloat. In fresh water, I'm a rock. In the Caribbean, I'm a bobber without a vest. With a vest, I'm a floatey.

I can't swim and am terrified of water and we did woodwinds in bonaire, they put me i wet suit and a pillow. It was great but I looked like an over cooked breakfast sausage. Still terrified of water as a storm blew in and 3 foot waves was too much for me to handle. On a calm day I would try again. Very slowly trying to over come my fear. So yea you will be fine.

Every snorkel excursion we have been on (we've done LOTS) has provided snorkel vests http://www.snorkel-mart.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=34&AllocatedProductID=127

Some work better than others. We always take our own, since you have to blow them up....eeeewwww.....no telling what is in that little tube! :eek: And I want to know that mine works. They are inexpensive and pack flat.

Great advice. We've done the same thing as well. We purchased a nice inflatable vest many years ago and bring it with us (for my DW) on every trip. Great investment! :)

I'm not a good swimmer either. However, after taking many snorkeling exursions over the past 10 years, I've learned 2 things:

1) Every excursion has had vests to help keep you afloat

2) The salinity of the water also helps greatly in keeping you afloat. In fresh water, I'm a rock. In the Caribbean, I'm a bobber without a vest. With a vest, I'm a floatey.

That was the best description ever. :D

Every sponsored ship excursion that we've done so far requires you to wear the vest.

We do most of our snorkeling on our own however. Depending on where you are going (what island/port), there are places you can just grab a cab to and walk into the water and snorkel. We've been places that go REALLY FAR OUT and the water wasn't anymore than about 5-6 feet of water high. :)

No need to be concerned even if you tend to sink like a rock.

You will be provided with vests and should have no problem whatsoever.

Plan on having a great time.

I never have that problem....I am buoyant without a vest! Fat floats!:D

I agree , we got our own vest, pack flat , no problem , I am not a great swimmer either and I usually do just fine, its fun, ENJOY

Cori

thanks for any info

I use to be a rather strong swimmer,but now only do so once a year on cruises.

I do love snorkling and have no problem booking a tour.

I know that with both ship tour, you had to wear a jacket. With the local vendors, some require all to wear them and others give you the option.

If you are not a good swimmer, they ask you to let them know and often keep you together.

Another tip I'd like to add. If you aren't a good swimmer, (and I'm not) do wear a life vest or jacket. If you haven't snorkeled before, sometimes you are floating and a fish will pass by, and you have a tendency to follow him not realizing just how far you may have gone. Under currents can take you, so be careful. It's like you're in your own world, and sometimes you get caught up in it.

I was a lifeguard for a very long time

I could not begin to count how many souls I've pulled out

If you KNOW you are going into water beyond your skill - which for you sounds like water deeper than your ankles - you are placing your trust in ME to pull you out when you get into trouble.

NO THANK YOU

If you get into trouble and I fail to save you I'll feel terrible ..... never considering the fact you KNEW you could not swim well enuf to be in the situation you placed yourself.

Think a life jacket or some other swim aide is gonna save you?

Good luck

This is sometimes called: tough luv

I was a lifeguard for a very long time

If you KNOW you are going into water beyond your skill - which for you sounds like water deeper than your ankles - you are placing your trust in ME to pull you out when you get into trouble.

NO THANK YOU

If you get into trouble and I fail to save you I'll feel terrible ..... never considering the fact you KNEW you could not swim well enuf to be in the situation you placed yourself.

Good luck

This is sometimes called: tough luv

I think I would prefer to drown rather than have you pull me out.:rolleyes:

Having been on numerous snorkeling excursions with skill levels of novice to expert, I have yet to see anyone encounter a problem that required saving.

I am a good swimmer, but don't swim as often as when I was a kid. When I last snorkeled, what struck me was not the swimming aspect of the event, but the amount of work it took my legs and feet (with the plastic flippers on them) to move around. If it gets tiring, just stick to the floating part and stay close to a group leader.

thanks for any info

quote "I was a lifeguard for a very long time

NO THANK YOU

Good luck

This is sometimes called: tough luv; end quote

First let me say to Jessie: whatever excursion you will be going on there will be someone there to give you instructions as well as keep you safe just like when a first time boat owner wants to set out into the ocean, bay or lake, the U.S. COAST GUARD has classes for instruction and is always there to protect you, isn't that right Capt BJ? After all your profile indicates that you are retired from the Coast Guard. How proud they must be of you to learn that you didn't like helping those that got "themselves" into trouble. As a retired military member I couldn't believe your rude, unprofessional and obnoxious response to someone looking only to enjoy her cruise.

Jessie, go and have a ton of fun; pick the right excursion company (or ship's excursion) and ask a lot of questions about instructions and safety. You'll have a great time. Capt BJ apparently had not had his Geritol before making his response.

Whitecap

Archived