money conversions

baxley

My cruiseline wants me to check a box if I want the cruiseline to convert my money or do I want my credit card company to convert it. Which would be best? Thanks for your advice.

:eek: no no no !!!!!!!

The cruiseline will not give you an exchange rate anywhere near as good as your card supplier. And some also even charge a fee for the privilege of being ripped-off by them.

Always but always have your card charged in ship's currency & leave your card supplier to convert.

:confused: Though your address is Georgia. Georgia USA?

And your cruiseline is Princess ?

In which case presumably your card's currency & ship's currency are both USD, so there's no conversion to be done.

JB :)

I always get the best rate at an ATM for getting cash instead of using an currency exchange business. I've always gotten decent exchange rates on my credit card when I don't want to use cash. And, there is one credit card company that doesn't charge the foreign exchange fee for those from the US.

:confused: Though your address is Georgia. Georgia USA?

And your cruiseline is Princess ?

In which case presumably your card's currency & ship's currency are both USD, so there's no conversion to be done.

JB :)

Probably a standard form & for Non -US citizens;)

• 5 months later...

I have been very careful to avoid these fees the past five years. Imagine my shock and disgust when I checked my credit card statement last week and discovered my deposit on a Viking River Cruise was accompanied by a 3 percent currency conversion fee. Viking is a US company with national and Global headquarters in California. There required currency is US dollars and my credit card from my bank in Florida is in USD. Elsewhere on this Board is the comment there should by no DCC fee! Viking blames Visa. Yet the business (Viking) should bear any cost of transferring USD to their Swiss bank account .... not the client. I believe there is collusion between Visa and Viking to rip-off the cruising public with both of them benefitting financially. European River cruises are very expensive. This additional 3 percent may be a deal breaker for me. If you feel the same, sound off here and let the cruise line know of your displeasure.

I have been very careful to avoid these fees the past five years. Imagine my shock and disgust when I checked my credit card statement last week and discovered my deposit on a Viking River Cruise was accompanied by a 3 percent currency conversion fee. Viking is a US company with national and Global headquarters in California.

There are several discussions on this problem happens on other cruise lines

it is the credit card company charging the fee

Some cruiselines have offered OBC as a sign of goodwill

Some cards do not charge a FTF I think it is Capital One in the USA

Archived