Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch/Champagne Brunch

Wayfairers

Our upcoming cruise is our first as a return customer on HAL. What is the welcome back lunch and the complimentary champagne brunch? Do I have to have anything to lD me as a past cruiser to get into the dining room for the lunch or to go to the brunch?

one of the star mariner perks: Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch

Edited by Wayfairers

Your room card/key will state your Mariner status.

The "Welcome" lunch is served on the boarding day, in the MDR, for Mariners only. The "Repeaters" lunch is on sea day, in the MDR, and is usually buffet. This has been discussed thoroughly on the boards.

You realize these luncheons are two different events, held on two different days?

Edited by CruiserBruce

Your ship ID will indicate you are a Mariner.

A few times when checking in at Port Everglades, we were handed an invitation to Mariners Welcome Lunch but often there is no invitation. Just go to the dining room betwee 12 noon and 1 P.M.

The Mariners Brunch is on a sea day and you will receive an invitation during the cruise.

In all my cruises with HAL I have never ever received an invitation. We just go. btw, we will be 4* by the next cruise. I don't count on an invitation anymore for the embarkation lunch. Now, for the Mariner's luncheon, that is a whole different deal - definitely there will be an invite. Quite often, they have to have at least two because of the number of repeat cruisers ;)

I have heard stories that the embarkation lunches are sometimes restricted to some upper star level but that was not my experience on either of my recent cruises as a 1-star. If they can find space to serve all the mariners on the Prinsendam, which has the highest repeat business of any HAL ship it should be possible on any ship. The embarkation lunch was great on both ships.

I had more mixed results with the Mariner brunch. On the Rotterdam I got the worst dining room service at that meal of any for my 28 days on HAL. On the Prinsendam, I had Pinnacle reservations for the day of the invitation, but guest relations quickly changed my invite to the other day the event was held. In addition to the other things you have heard, you should also get a HAL tile, a nice souvenir.

Roy

The "Repeaters" lunch is on sea day, in the MDR, and is usually buffet. This has been discussed thoroughly on the boards.

Really? I've got over 200 days with HAL and I've never seen a buffet in the MDR:confused:. I've also never heard that discussed on this board.

Really? I've got over 200 days with HAL and I've never seen a buffet in the MDR:confused:. I've also never heard that discussed on this board.

I agree..... we've never seen a Mariners buffet. It's always sit down.

We were on Noordam in March and Maasdam in June. We had the usual luncheon in Main Dining Room. Maybe others have had buffet in Dining Room but we have not.

This was for the Mariners Lunch. The Mariners Lunch seems to always be in the MDR, but I only have 120 days on HAL.

My other comment regarding having been discussed before referred to the topics of Mariners Lunch and Welcome aboard Lunch.

Edited by CruiserBruce

On Embarkation day -- we have never received an invitaton in the almost 2 years that this new program has been in place.

We just go to the dining room when we are ready to have lunch.

But on our Amsterdam cruise in June -- Marvin Hamlish had a private luncheon for quite a large group -- we would not be able to have lunch in the dining room until 12:30 or 1 PM.

On some ships I have read that only 4 star Mariners can dine in the dining room on Embarkation day -- due to the large number of 4 star members on that cruise.

BUT -- never has it ever been a buffet.

This was for the Mariners Lunch. The Mariners Lunch seems to always be in the MDR, but I only have 120 days on HAL.

My other comment regarding having been discussed before referred to the topics of Mariners Lunch and Welcome aboard Lunch.

There is a difference between Mariner's lunch which is held on Embarkation Day and the Mariner's Brunch held near the end of the cruise.

We have never had a buffet for either event.

The OP clearly stated that they have only cruised HAL once before. They asked a simple question. Pointing out that it has been discussed before is not helpful, especially in the wake of search functions going out for days. Why not just give them the courtesy of an answer. So what if it's come up before???

There is a difference between Mariner's lunch which is held on Embarkation Day and the Mariner's Brunch held near the end of the cruise.

We have never had a buffet for either event.

Thanks for always having a patient and helpful response.

We had an Indonesian buffet in the MDR for all the B2B passengers on our last Noordam cruise(2010). The tables were set very nicely and we were able to serve ourselves from a small buffet setup. I think they did this on the lower level of the diningroom.

The OP clearly stated that they have only cruised HAL once before. They asked a simple question. Pointing out that it has been discussed before is not helpful, especially in the wake of search functions going out for days. Why not just give them the courtesy of an answer. So what if it's come up before???

Well said, thank you.

Thanks for all the answers everyone!

tangerinebunny: We live in west TN not far from Jackson. Went to school in Knoxville and worked there for a couple of years after college. Really enjoyed the town.

Because the OP has 1000 posts. Give a person a fish, they will feed their family for a day. Teach them to fish, they will feed their family for a lifetime.

CruiserBruce: OP (me) only has a few over 800 posts - sure that is closer to 1000 than it is to 0, but still not to 1000 yet. Before I post a new thread I usually do a search first. You caught me one of the few times I didn't do a search. Should I have done that? Yes, but no need for you to be mean about it. This is a small world.... I may just be sitting at your table on your next cruise so you may as well be nice.

Edited by Wayfairers

CruiserBruce: OP (me) only has a few over 800 posts - sure that is closer to 1000 than it is to 0, but still not to 1000 yet. Before I post a new thread I usually do a search first. You caught me one of the few times I didn't do a search. Should I have done that? Yes, but no need for you to be mean about it. This is a small world.... I may just be sitting at your table on your next cruise so you may as well be nice.

Dont let a few cranky people turn you off. I don't mind if someone has asked something 1000 times. Sometimes people will have different answers. I haven't found the search to be bringing up that much lately. Did a search the other day and it only brought up responses from Aug. That's not helpful IMO. I hope you enjoy your cruise:).

Have to admit we never get excited about the Welcome Aboard Lunch. To us it just not a big deal to have lunch in the MDR...and in fact, we usually prefer to variety at the Lido lunches. But we do understand some folks wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle and relax in the MDR. As to the Mariners lunch, they always have it on a sea day and if the weather is nice we find it hard to get out of our deck chairs and change into decent clothes for lunch. We are 3 * (the 4th is coming soon) and I think we have only made it to one Mariners Lunch which was only because they asked us to come to get a medallion (good for covering holes in our wall). :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Because the OP has 1000 posts. Give a person a fish, they will feed their family for a day. Teach them to fish, they will feed their family for a lifetime.

And you sure taught them!!! Look, there's fish in the water (go get em).

Edited by Hobbsey

I have heard stories that the embarkation lunches are sometimes restricted to some upper star level but that was not my experience on either of my recent cruises as a 1-star. If they can find space to serve all the mariners on the Prinsendam, which has the highest repeat business of any HAL ship it should be possible on any ship. The embarkation lunch was great on both ships.

Roy

On the Prinsendam cruise in March, there was only room for 4-star mariners.:(

We had an Indonesian buffet in the MDR for all the B2B passengers on our last Noordam cruise(2010). The tables were set very nicely and we were able to serve ourselves from a small buffet setup. I think they did this on the lower level of the diningroom.

On our back-to-back cruises on the Ryndam October 2010 -- there was a cocktail party one evening for those staying on for the second cruise.

On the back-to-back cruises on the Nieuw Amsterdam November 2010 -- there was an Indodesian buffet on the first sea day. We were led to believe that it was for only for the back-to-back cruisers. But it was open to EVERYONE on the ship. So nothing special on that back-to-back cruise.