Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch/Champagne Brunch

Wayfairers

CruiserBruce: OP (me) only has a few over 800 posts - sure that is closer to 1000 than it is to 0, but still not to 1000 yet. Before I post a new thread I usually do a search first. You caught me one of the few times I didn't do a search. Should I have done that? Yes, but no need for you to be mean about it. This is a small world.... I may just be sitting at your table on your next cruise so you may as well be nice.

Dont let a few cranky people turn you off. I don't mind if someone has asked something 1000 times. Sometimes people will have different answers. I haven't found the search to be bringing up that much lately. Did a search the other day and it only brought up responses from Aug. That's not helpful IMO. I hope you enjoy your cruise:).

Agree -- don't worry about those people who keep telling you to use the Search Feature -- all too often it doesn't work.

There are quite a few of us who do not mind answering the same questions over and over since we know it can be frustrating finding the right answers on here.

Go and enjoy your cruise.

Agree -- don't worry about those people who keep telling you to use the Search Feature -- all too often it doesn't work.

There are quite a few of us who do not mind answering the same questions over and over since we know it can be frustrating finding the right answers on here.

Krazy Kruizers..I envision you sitting on the top of a mountain endlessly dispensing valuable cruise info to a long line-up of both novice and experienced cruisers.

If there ever was a cruise guru displaying such patience and knowledge, you are the one. Peter

On the Prinsendam cruise in March, there was only room for 4-star mariners.:(

That's not what HAL tells us. If that ever happens to me, you can be sure the Maitre'd will get an unacceptable rating for the cruise.

Roy

Dont let a few cranky people turn you off. I don't mind if someone has asked something 1000 times. Sometimes people will have different answers. I haven't found the search to be bringing up that much lately. Did a search the other day and it only brought up responses from Aug. That's not helpful IMO. I hope you enjoy your cruise:).

Thanks for the support! I have learned that two things are needed to survive in the world: not let people intimidate you (being a female in a male dominated profession taught me how to do that) and treat others the way you want to be treated (thanks to my parents for teaching me this one). I'm glad there are people like you guys that are willing to answer questions without the snarky comments. Thanks again!

We did a cruise on HAL in 2007 (TA of 16 days) and alot has changed since then. I would use the search if I knew what I was searching for :D We have booked a Christmas cruise and I just booked the Le Cirque dinner after reading about it here. Thank you all for answering questions again and again for us.

I'm glad there are people like you guys that are willing to answer questions without the snarky comments.

Some people see this website as Information & Referral. Others see it as a place to chat about cruising, and getting to know each other.

I'm in the latter camp. You really can't get to know someone if all you do is give them a link in answer to a question (although they do learn something about you. ;))

Some people see this website as Information & Referral. Others see it as a place to chat about cruising, and getting to know each other.

I'm in the latter camp. You really can't get to know someone if all you do is give them a link in answer to a question (although they do learn something about you. ;))

Interesting that you choose the latter - that must be why I always enjoy reading your comments on here! I'm with you - this place is to chat and help expand people's knowledge (including mine), not just fire off quick answers.

I hope you make it to the Embarkation lunch for Mariners. I went for the first time last cruise...we usually arrive too late but this time we were on time. For us it was much more relaxing not having to find a place to sit and juggling our plates cups and carry on luggage that I feel we can't part with.

We were given an invitation when we checked in. It was interesting though because when we asked one of the crew when we first got on board they told us the luncheon was pretty crowded and we might want to go up to the Lido. We ignored his advice and when we arrived at the MDR there was no line and not crowded at all. I am so glad we took the chance on the MDR.

I hope you make it to the Embarkation lunch for Mariners. I went for the first time last cruise...we usually arrive too late but this time we were on time. For us it was much more relaxing not having to find a place to sit and juggling our plates cups and carry on luggage that I feel we can't part with.

We were given an invitation when we checked in. It was interesting though because when we asked one of the crew when we first got on board they told us the luncheon was pretty crowded and we might want to go up to the Lido. We ignored his advice and when we arrived at the MDR there was no line and not crowded at all. I am so glad we took the chance on the MDR.

On my first embarkation luncheon, I travelled with my DMIL, her first HAL cruise. Upon landing on the deck, we were encouraged to go the Lido, however, I persevered and trudged along to the MDR where we were welcomed with open arms. This was a vast improvement over the Lido especially for an 88 YO woman. I always tell her, "Stick with me, Mom. I'll lead you in the right direction." LOL!

They do seem to like to steer people away from the MDR. I've heard that line more then once myself. I like the MDR because being around a lot of people is not optimal for me.

And all I have to say about this is -- WOW! All this for a simple question. On the Noordam we've had 2 buffets in the MDR on 2 seperate sailings. To tell you the truth I couldn't tell you what they were for, between the Suite invitations, Mariner invitations, and the this and that invatation I just can't keep track of it all. I do know that we eat very well no matter where it is on the ships and enjoy every cruise we've been on with HAL.

Double Digit Midget for the next cruise!

Edited by jackjoy1

• 4 years later...
I am just wondering about the logistics. Our check in time is 1pm and the lunch only goes until 1.30. We would have to be very fast to get there in time.

HAL almost always starts check-in much earlier than 1 pm.

11:30 starts embarkation in many ports so check-in usually starts at 10:30 am.

Of course this varies port by port. What cruise are you doing?

We are 3 star Mariners but we are taking the parents on our next cruise who have never cruised HAL. Can we take them with us to the embarkation lunch in the MDR ?

There is no longer an MDR embarkation lunch for Mariners. It is open to all passengers.

There is no longer an MDR embarkation lunch for Mariners. It is open to all passengers.

Where is this announced? I think it's good news if it's true. It will relieve some of the congestion in the Lido and every time I've gone to embarkation lunch in the MDR it's been almost empty!

Where is this announced? I think it's good news if it's true. It will relieve some of the congestion in the Lido and every time I've gone to embarkation lunch in the MDR it's been almost empty!

It wasn't announced officially on HAL site -- but about a year ago, suddenly the dining room was admitting everyone.

Quite a few times when HAL first started that the main dining room would only be open to Mariners, there were quite a few problems.

Some ships limited it to 4 Star Mariners. Then 4 and 5 Star Mariners.

Many of our cruises it was a mixed bag -- totally packed. No one accepted after 1 PM. And closed several times for special events.

Lots of complaints.

The official documents state check in from 1pm. We are doing a cruise on MS Noordam, Sydney to New Zealand and return.

In October, we boarded the Noordam in Sydney, lunch was not available in the Main Dining room.

We checked both levels of the dining room, the only activity was a steward setting tables for dinner, he was surprised that we expected to eat lunch in the dining room.

Maybe lunch will be available the day you board, if not the lido will have plenty of food to choose from.

Do you board at the OPT or White Bay?