Would not book a balcony again until...

peggy1

I am a non-smoker and I HATE cigaret smell. My husband, however, is a smoker.

Every since we got married (which was a long time ago) we made an agreement that he will not smoke inside the house or insider the car - which is not a small issue - we live in Minnesota where winters can be very cold. Once people start smoking in the house, hotel room, etc... it is very hard to get rid of the smell - it becomes part of the house.

Since my husband doesn't smoke in the house, it actually never occurred to him to smoke in the hotel room or cruise cabin regardless whether or not it was permitted.

But we do book a balcony in part so that he can smoke on it without going upstairs. I always remind him that he needs to be considered of other people when he smokes. However, it takes two of us to compromise - if he wants to smoke on the balcony I will not demand for him to stop so that I could enjoy the balcony, I will wait until he is done. On the other hand, if I am on the balcony he will not start smoking around me, he will wait until later time.

My point is that if majority of non-smokers did not feel like their rights are more important than those of smokers, the ones who smoke might become more considered.

As of January 15th, balcony smoking will no longer be permitted on Princess ships. Violations will be met with a $250 fine per incidence.

Since Princess is a Carnival Corp. owned cruise line, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually Carnival Cruise Lines adopts the same policy and smoking is banned from all balconies as well. I think that this "partial smoke ban" is just a prelude of things to come.

The only way that I don't see this happening is if Carnival Corp. has some hard data showing that their budget brand attracts more smokers, but I think that might open another can of worms...

now this would be very hard to do but one way they could make everyone happy the smokers and the non. Would be to make one side of the balcony non smoking and the the other smoking. But that would be a logistical nightmare so I don't see that happening any time soon.

It will never happen......a booking nightmare.

*shakes head* ...I will never understand that.

I am a non smoker and NEVER had any odor whatsoever in any cabin on any cruise.

The balcony is sometimes an issue.

If this was implemented because people (non smokers) complained, they totally screwed themselves (and me)...

To be honest, I don't think a cruise line makes any changes unless they are about money. I think it has more to do with the cost of keeping the rooms smelling so fresh after a smoker has been in there.....because whatever they did use to clean up the smell worked pretty freaking great.

Maybe it didn't come cheap and/or took too much time (which is money)?? I don't know. All I know is that I never had a complaint before.....

Starting January you can no longer smoke on balconies on Princess....I am interested to see if their bookings go down....

It all depends on what type of smoker you get next to you. My dh smokes and you wouldn't even know it......a family member that sails with us is a horrible chain smoker.......you can smell his smoke 2 cabins down.....so we always put him downwind from us:D

With change comes change and sometimes it's not the change people who wanted the change in the first place will like! For example: Since doing away with the Cigar Bar on the Conquest Class Ships I don't remember seeing so many cigar smokers on Lido and on their balconies. I guess before they used to pop down to the Cigar Bar, etc. I've been on three different Ships with the No-Smoking Piano Bars in the last months and since then the No-smoking policy has brought in the kids. That's great for those that want to bring in their children but not so great for the folks that would prefer the kids not there. As I said...change brings change! I'm not trying to start another debate on smoking (I think that has pretty much been played out)...just stating my observations!

Since Princess is a Carnival Corp. owned cruise line, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually Carnival Cruise Lines adopts the same policy and smoking is banned from all balconies as well. I think that this "partial smoke ban" is just a prelude of things to come.

So is HAL, but they will still allow smoking on the balconies.

they start the no smoking policy in staterooms and balconies. Any time we book a balcony, we are aggravated because the smokers use it as their private ash trays. It seemed like every time we went out to our balcony the people next door would rush out to smoke. Ridiculous! If you want to smoke go up on the upper decks provided for your habit. Meanwhile, I felt very badly for the baby who was with his parents in the balcony (sleeping in a crib) while his parents, rushed out to smoke while constantly hacking. We knew they were smoking in the room as well as you could smell it through the air ducts in the middle of the night. Disgusting for us and for their innocent baby. They are suppose to start the no smoking policy in Dec. 2011. We recently were on the Celebrity Summit and they have the no smoking policy, however there was one couple in a balcony smoking and after several days and the threat of putting them off the ship, they got the message and stopped.

I know smoker's will be outraged, but so be it, I'm sick of smelling your cigarettes!

By the way, we were on the Miracle!

I'm glad you didn't mention cigar smoke. One of the best things, for me, about a cruise is to enjoy my personal pollution device (a nice Macanudo Portofino) out on my balcony, which I paid my hard earned money for and which is not against the rules. I get a lot of compliments about how nice it smells. I think so too. Until Carnival bans such enjoyment, look for me out on my balcony.

I believe Carnival a non-smoking ship (the Paradise) a while back and it failed. You can always book an inside and enjoy your cruise in your little tiny vault away from such horror.

My point is that if majority of non-smokers did not feel like their rights are more important than those of smokers, the ones who smoke might become more considered.

Very well said! (although I think you meant considerate). I too an a non-smoker. Maybe it is because I am an ex-smoker, but I figure as long as the smokers are smoking in designated smoking areas, they are within their right to smoke. If I don't like it, I leave the designated smoking area.

I know when I smoked I tried very hard to be considerate of those around me and only smoke in designated smoking areas. But, I could get pretty ugly when someone would come to a designated smoking area, and do the fake hack and cough and ask us to put out the smokes!

I don't smoke and prefer not to have the smoke in my face, with that said I have more of an issue with smokers throwing their cigarettes over the side falling down in the balconies below. I like aft balconies but the trash from some people above almost makes us not want to book aft's anymore.

All cruise lines could make everyone happy - - One side of ship Smoking - one side of ship non smoking - - both cabins and balcony!

No, because then whenever the non-smoking side happened to also be the leeward side, you'd hear tons of whining about those inconsiderate %$#@! smokers on the other side of the ship ruining everything. :rolleyes:

Very well said! (although I think you meant considerate). I too an a non-smoker. Maybe it is because I am an ex-smoker, but I figure as long as the smokers are smoking in designated smoking areas, they are within their right to smoke. If I don't like it, I leave the designated smoking area.

I know when I smoked I tried very hard to be considerate of those around me and only smoke in designated smoking areas. But, I could get pretty ugly when someone would come to a designated smoking area, and do the fake hack and cough and ask us to put out the smokes!

Yes, I meant "considerate" (and probably should have corrected couple of more misspellings :D).

And yes, my husband becomes quite wound up when non-smokers behave in the way you described. When he encounters this kind of behavior, he feels compelled to "assert" his right to smoke in the smoking area. He says that while he understands non-smokers desires not to smell the smoke, he would like non-smokers to understand that since smoking is legal there should be some adequate venues for him to smoke. He feels that some (not all) activist non-smokers will never stop in their quest against smoking - as soon as they make it so it will be become against the rules to smoke on the balcony, they will fight for non-smoking ship.

they start the no smoking policy in staterooms and balconies. Any time we book a balcony, we are aggravated because the smokers use it as their private ash trays. It seemed like every time we went out to our balcony the people next door would rush out to smoke. Ridiculous! If you want to smoke go up on the upper decks provided for your habit. Meanwhile, I felt very badly for the baby who was with his parents in the balcony (sleeping in a crib) while his parents, rushed out to smoke while constantly hacking. We knew they were smoking in the room as well as you could smell it through the air ducts in the middle of the night. Disgusting for us and for their innocent baby. They are suppose to start the no smoking policy in Dec. 2011. We recently were on the Celebrity Summit and they have the no smoking policy, however there was one couple in a balcony smoking and after several days and the threat of putting them off the ship, they got the message and stopped.

I know smoker's will be outraged, but so be it, I'm sick of smelling your cigarettes!

The problem is, the balcony IS their own private ashtray. They have every right to smoke out there as much as they want. That's Carnival's policy. If we don't like it, we can go elswhere until Carnival decides people can't smoke on balconies. And for the record, I'm a non-smoker.

They need to limit their smoking cabins to one side of the ship or the other. That way, you can designate where you want to be. Every other form of lodging has Smoking/Non-smoking rooms, why shouldn't the cruise lines?

how many ships have walk ups?

Must be reaallyy hard on someone to be so perfect! To have never done or said anything to annoy anyone! To live such a perfect healthy life that everyone else is beneath them and should bow to thier every whim....

They need to limit their smoking cabins to one side of the ship or the other. That way, you can designate where you want to be. Every other form of lodging has Smoking/Non-smoking rooms, why shouldn't the cruise lines?

TOTALLY agree with this idea! good one!

All cruise lines could make everyone happy - - One side of ship Smoking - one side of ship non smoking - - both cabins and balcony!

See how many they sell!

I think this is a great idea. I don't know if it is practical, but a great idea none the less. Since there are more non-smokers than smokers I think it would be hard to fill up the smoking side of the ship. Then the non- smokers would whine that there are no non-smoking balconies left, only smoking and how that is not fair.

I kills me that people whine when others don't follow the rules (like smuggling booze, jeans in the dining room, etc) and then do whine when people do follow the rules (like smoking where they are allowed.)

TOTALLY agree with this idea! good one!

in an ideal situation this would be a good idea, but how many ships have you been on that smokers and non smokers are split evenly? what happens when the smoking balconies fill up first? or vice versa. will they turn away other smokers because there are no balcony rooms left on the smoking side. the ships almost always sail full.

Archived