Would not book a balcony again until...

peggy1

Wil be smoking my 2 or 3 a year cigar on a balconey on the Pride Nov 2012, if you are out and it bothers you just let me know and ill wait til your in your cabin to light up, but please shut off you balconey light so I can see the stars

MY SUGGESTION TO YOU: Stay on Celebrity.

they start the no smoking policy in staterooms and balconies. Any time we book a balcony, we are aggravated because the smokers use it as their private ash trays. It seemed like every time we went out to our balcony the people next door would rush out to smoke. Ridiculous! If you want to smoke go up on the upper decks provided for your habit. Meanwhile, I felt very badly for the baby who was with his parents in the balcony (sleeping in a crib) while his parents, rushed out to smoke while constantly hacking. We knew they were smoking in the room as well as you could smell it through the air ducts in the middle of the night. Disgusting for us and for their innocent baby. They are suppose to start the no smoking policy in Dec. 2011. We recently were on the Celebrity Summit and they have the no smoking policy, however there was one couple in a balcony smoking and after several days and the threat of putting them off the ship, they got the message and stopped.

I know smoker's will be outraged, but so be it, I'm sick of smelling your cigarettes!

By the way, we were on the Miracle!

Ah yes my dear smoker,but the grim reaper will enjoy your extra business.

The grim reaper gets everyone ..just some earlier than others...I prefer to smoke,drink, enjoy all foods, and whoopee..I like knowing a did the things that I enjoyed this lifetime instead of going through life with ..I'm going to live a long and boring life..ask Mr. Burns..

Same here :rolleyes: and I have been thinking of some sort of response, but these debates will always be just that with each side acting so self-righteous and there will never be any satisfaction until one side gets their way. My belief is that Carnival decides where you ARE allowed and NOT allowed to smoke. If you are smoking where you are "allowed" you should be able to do so, guilt free. Smokers will not be smoking in areas that are not allowed, however, if they are then you can complain and get them to stop. And as far as the comment about smokers not being able to afford balconies and/or longer cruises I find that comment absolutely ridiculous.

(I expect to get flamed, seems thats what happens on these boards lately if you are not in agreement with the masses)

Reading comprehension seems to be a weakness on these boards. No where did anyone say this.

Well, cigarettes sell for $50-$60 a carton. Prices vary according to state taxes, of course. At one pack per day, that's $150+ a month. For a year, that works out to $1,800+. Double that if it is a couple. For a habit that is more difficult to break than heroin (clinical fact) I can see smokers resorting to balconies when their inside cabins are no longer their option. Perhaps they will take one less cruise a year, or even shorter, less expensive cruises, but they will move to balconies. Just IMHO, of course.

I haven't actually seen any people on the Carnival boards, who are smokers, admitting to switching from inside to balcony. I don't read all these threads so I can be wrong. I would like to hear their comments. Maybe a week cruise, or less would not make such a financial impact on anyone's vacation budget but longer cruises would. I know that there was a lot of resistance on the Holland America boards because many of those people take longer cruises. It would be an interesting topic.

Nah if they forked out the money for a balcony they would have less to spend on their habit. If they had the money they would already be staying in balcony cabins IMHO.

Reading comprehension seems to be a weakness on these boards. No where did anyone say this.

Well, it sounded like it to me.

You folks just won't be happy until smoking is completely banned, will you?

Is it not enough that we are being driven out of our own rooms??? Maybe if all the outrageous and exaggerated claims of smelling smoke from INSIDE a room from next door or (I saw this claim once) that you can smell smoke from SEVERAL rooms away, you wouldn't force the smokers out to the balcony just a few feet away from you.

And anyone who claims they are "allergic" to smoke, nobody is allergic to cigarette smoke. It's a myth. Smoke is an irritant, and not an allergen. In other words... it irritates you. Get over it.

To the person who said smokers will not pay for a balcony I smoke I get a balcony for this reason. I do not smoke in the cabin ever so your wrong smokers do get balconies.

I usually try to catch my neighbors day one and ask them if my smoking will bother them when they are out if they say yes I either go up on deck to a smoking area or I wait until they go in simple as that.

Wil be smoking my 2 or 3 a year cigar on a balconey on the Pride Nov 2012, if you are out and it bothers you just let me know and ill wait til your in your cabin to light up, but please shut off you balconey light so I can see the stars

It wouldn't bother me. For some reason, I LOVE the smell of cigar smoke! Could be that my favorite uncle always had a cigar in his mouth. :)

And anyone who claims they are "allergic" to smoke, nobody is allergic to cigarette smoke. It's a myth. Smoke is an irritant, and not an allergen. In other words... it irritates you. Get over it.

Problem is, it can still throw asthmatics into full blown respiratory distress...my lungs don't really care if it is an allergen or irritant. That being said, I choose to cruise Carnival knowing the rules and set my expectations accordingly.

When you book a balcony you open yourself up to getting any kind of balcony neighbor. Would you rather have a quiet considerate smoker or a loud-obnoxious-non-stop-party neighbor?

My fiance smokes on our balcony -BUT- we are not loud, don't slam the door, don't leave the balcony light on all night, don't yell 4 balconies down to our friends and don't have all of our buddies over to throw a party. I would say that most smokers already know that they are in the minority and try their best to be considerate as possable with their habit. I say, pick your battles. JMHO :)

You folks just won't be happy until smoking is completely banned, will you?

Is it not enough that we are being driven out of our own rooms??? Maybe if all the outrageous and exaggerated claims of smelling smoke from INSIDE a room from next door or (I saw this claim once) that you can smell smoke from SEVERAL rooms away, you wouldn't force the smokers out to the balcony just a few feet away from you.

How about the ones that can smell cigarette smoke from the car a few cars away from them while sitting in traffic. A hundred cars running idle all around you, a couple of them tractor trailers or construction vehicles pouring out even more black goo. But *cough, cough cough " I smell a Marlboro.

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher . You cannot imagine how many people jump on a band wagon as soon as something gets out in the media.

"Oh my God I found white powder " "Oh God there is a dead bird in my yard ,we are gonna die of Ebola" "Help I can smell Carbon Monoxide in my house "

You can't walk outside in the big bad world with sneezeing , wheezing, coughing and sputtering, maybe its time for a plastic bubble or assisted living

The idea that smokers have all been huddling in inside cabins and can't afford a balcony because of their expensive habit is just flipping ridiculous. Many smokers have chosen Carnival balcony cabins for years, so they had a private place to smoke without getting the dirty looks, the coughing, arm waving and general hysteria that goes on when someone doesn't appreciate the smoke.

Some of us thought smoking on the balcony while the ship was moving was a very considerate way to keep the smoke away from folks that don't like it. How ironic, that now this is apparently the worst place you can smoke, when it is almost the last place you can smoke.

The lido area has been half smoking and half non-smoking for quite some time. Look around and see if you can tell which is which just by the numbers of people congregating on each side... I've never noticed that the smoking side was empty and the non-smoking side full.

I am cursed with "one of those noses" I can smell the smoke from a car several spots in front of me. My wife gets so PO'd because I can smell Pine Sol from out in the driveway. Trust me, she gives me an earful. SO smoking does get annoying. But everyone is within their rights and I remove myself from the area. Somewheres down the line they will be banned everywheres and then the price of liquor will double.

[quote name='MagSeven1413']Isn't that the truth![/quote]

i just don't understand why they aren't happy. they have most of the inside areas on the ship. and honestly, can someone explain the physics of smoke lingering while a ship is moving. still can't imagine it being anything like a closed in smoking area. in port , maybe there is a possibilty that it can linger a little longer.

another thing is exactly how clean do they think the air we breathe is? unless you live in a rural area that isn't built up and overrun with automobiles, then your air is polluted.

i used to smoke cigarettes, now i only smoke cigars. i really don't like the smell of cigarettes, but in all my years of cruising in balcony rooms, i have never once had smoke drift my way that was so dense that it made being outside unbearable.

it's to a point that i really don't care what the non smokers say anymore if i am following the rules. like it or not until they ban it completely, which i doubt will happen, i will continue to enjoy cigars on the balcony or any other place in this nation that has designated smoking areas. if i am following the rules, you have no right to complain. i adjust my vacation to suit mine and hubby's cigar habit, non smokers should make adjustments to theirs if they choose to vacation with a company that allows smoking.

[quote name='tnincy']i just don't understand why they aren't happy. they have most of the inside areas on the ship. and honestly, can someone explain the physics of smoke lingering while a ship is moving. still can't imagine it being anything like a closed in smoking area. in port , maybe there is a possibilty that it can linger a little longer.

another thing is exactly how clean do they think the air we breathe is? unless you live in a rural area that isn't built up and overrun with automobiles, then your air is polluted.

i used to smoke cigarettes, now i only smoke cigars. i really don't like the smell of cigarettes, but in all my years of cruising in balcony rooms, i have never once had smoke drift my way that was so dense that it made being outside unbearable.

it's to a point that i really don't care what the non smokers say anymore if i am following the rules. like it or not until they ban it completely, which i doubt will happen, i will continue to enjoy cigars on the balcony or any other place in this nation that has designated smoking areas. if i am following the rules, you have no right to complain. i adjust my vacation to suit mine and hubby's cigar habit, non smokers should make adjustments to theirs if they choose to vacation with a company that allows smoking.[/quote]

AMEN

And enough with "OOOOOOH smoking around the children. Most of the kids today are as big as a house because they eat fast food and microwave crap three meals a day and the only excercise they get is working the controller on the Playstation. But oh God not a whiff of smoke

[quote name='babyher']AMEN

And enough with "OOOOOOH smoking around the children. Most of the kids today are as big as a house because they eat fast food and microwave crap three meals a day and the only excercise they get is working the controller on the Playstation. But oh God not a whiff of smoke[/QUOTE]

Funny, very funny. True too.

[quote name='peggy1']That is a very mature response you posted. Talk of spying? Get a life? Really? That's what you come up with? I know cigarette production is a mainstay down in good old Reston Virginia but show some kind of class, and realize I said I would not book another balcony as I have every right to be able to enjoy my balcony and not have to smell smoke when I have paid good money for my trip TOO. I will make the choice, not you. I have to say after reading all the 4 pages of postings, not one person commented on the fact that these two passengers had a BABY in the room breathing in second hand smoke!!! I don't think it is good for their child (however, strictly their decision) and I don't want it for me and my husband. If you smokers are offended, too bad. So Blah, blah, blah to you. And all you Carnival lovers who think not going back on this line would be my loss, I will take that loss and enjoy Celebrity, Princess and RCCL and HAL. You can have Carnival all to yourselves. Enjoy![/quote]

Wow, bitter and paranoid much? And you surmise that I smoke because? I was simply commenting on the overdramatic rhetoric. The above is another example. As for spying, well, this is a public message board, hardly "spying." You put it out there for the world to see and comment on, deal with it.

BTW, geography lesson. Tobacco production is NOT a mainstay of Reston VA. Tech, government, government contracting, government security, and more tech, those are the mainstays of Reston's economy. Tobacco production is at least 100 miles from here in RICHMOND. And even that is not a mainstay there anymore.

Archived