Would not book a balcony again until...

peggy1

[quote name='windjammerB&C']What I have seen on these boards is NON SMOKERS have a BIG attitude on not just smoking but what ever they can find to rip about.They seem really uptight.Maybe they need to smoke something!:D[/QUOTE]Perhaps something other than tobacco. ;)

[quote name='babyher']AMEN

And enough with "OOOOOOH smoking around the children. Most of the kids today are as big as a house because they eat fast food and microwave crap three meals a day and the only excercise they get is working the controller on the Playstation. But oh God not a whiff of smoke[/quote]

I believe the op said that they were smoking inside their cabin with a baby that is more then a whiff.......2 wrongs don't make a right.

[quote name='StillPooh']Not necessarily. James Fixx (author of ''The Complete Book of Running'') dropped dead at 52. While running.

My little granny made it to 94 drinking Jim Beam and smoking unfiltered Camels.[/quote]

It's all in the genes.....but it has been proven that people die from a disease caused from cigs and has not been proven that people die from a disease caused from running lol!

[quote name='StillPooh']It will never happen. Never. There is WAY too much money in tobacco.

They will lose the smokers to all sorts of places.[B] Ever been to an AI in Mexico? Not only is the booze all you can drink :cool:, you can smoke pretty much everywhere. [/B]
I'd like to see some sources for your assertion that "most cruise lines right now are more restrictive than Carnival". HAL and Royal Caribbean still allow balcony smoking as well.[/quote]

We have been to 2 AI's in P.V. in the last year and both of them have been non smoking.....

[quote name='dolphiness']That's not likely to happen..do you know how much revenue the tobacco comp's bring in! Wouldn't "hold my breath" hahahaha[/quote]

not to mention how many people will be out of a job..........just don't see it happening anytime soon.

[quote name='peggy1']That is a very mature response you posted. Talk of spying? Get a life? Really? That's what you come up with? [B] I know cigarette production is a mainstay down in good old Reston Virginia[/B] but show some kind of class, and realize I said I would not book another balcony as I have every right to be able to enjoy my balcony and not have to smell smoke when I have paid good money for my trip TOO. I will make the choice, not you. I have to say after reading all the 4 pages of postings, not one person commented on the fact that these two passengers had a BABY in the room breathing in second hand smoke!!! I don't think it is good for their child (however, strictly their decision) and I don't want it for me and my husband. If you smokers are offended, too bad. So Blah, blah, blah to you. And all you Carnival lovers who think not going back on this line would be my loss, I will take that loss and enjoy Celebrity, Princess and RCCL and HAL. You can have Carnival all to yourselves. Enjoy![/quote]

Not trying to start a war here, but you've been misinformed...I actually live about 20 miles from Reston, VA and have also worked there. It's Richmond, VA, not Reston, VA (a suburb of D.C.) that is home to one of the largest cigarette producing companies, so cigarette production is NOT a mainstay of Reston.

[quote name='discjoker']I agree that banning smoking on balconies would be a great thing. My last cruise was on Celebrity where they have this policy and I never smelled smoke while enjoying my balcony.

However, Carnival allows smoking on the balcony so you can take issue with Carnival and not the smokers. The smokers are following the rules and are doing nothing wrong.

My suggestion would be that if you want a smoke-free balcony experience, pick a like where it is restricted. If you choose to sail in a balcony on a line that allows it, it is your problem and not the problem of the rule following smokers.[/quote]

Princess is also changing their policy to eliminate smoking on balconies. I don't think Carnival or Royal Cairbbean will be adopting similar policies for quite some time. We did get a spa balcony cabin on the Carnival Magic and it was worth it to enjoy going out on the balcony without smelling smoke. The included spa benefits are great too.

[quote name='hubofhockey']Princess is also changing their policy to eliminate smoking on balconies. [/QUOTE]Yes they are, as of 1/15/12. Which is why, for the following week, we chose a window suite over a balcony stateroom. Hubby gets to be a stone's throw from Churchill's cigar lounge, and I get 300+ SF plus a granite bathroom with jetted tub. :cool:

I believe the op said that they were smoking inside their cabin with a baby that is more then a whiff.......2 wrongs don't make a right.

i agree 2 wrongs don't make a right, but the op has no proof they were actually smoking inside. to quote the op ..."

" felt very badly for the baby who was with his parents in the balcony (sleeping in a crib) while his parents, rushed out to smoke while constantly hacking. We knew they were smoking in the room as well as you could smell it through the air ducts in the middle of the night."

what proof did they have other than smell. which could have come from anywhere around them.

i sincerely hope that a grown person would not subject a child to smoke in a closed room.

Yes they are, as of 1/15/12. Which is why, for the following week, we chose a window suite over a balcony stateroom. Hubby gets to be a stone's throw from Churchill's cigar lounge, and I get 300+ SF plus a granite bathroom with jetted tub. :cool:

I'm glad it worked out for you and that they are providing you places to smoke. I am also glad that we'll be able to enjoy a smoke free balcony on our British Isles cruise next July. Worrying about weather in that part of the world is enough. ;) I wonder if Princess' new policy will lead smokers elsewhere. I think their previous policy may have led them to losing customers to Celebrity. So maybe this just evens things off with that line. I think Carnival, RCI, and NCL won't eliminate balcony smoking because of their common passenger demographics of people who may smoke and none of them want to start losing passengers to the other lines.

We have had balconies next to smokers. We could smell their noxious fumes when we were in port. At sea, the 20+ mph winds carried the smoke away.

As to the future, I believe we will see phase 2 of the evolution of the smoking rules on Carnival next year at this time. We will see balcony smoking banned. We will see even more interior areas included in the smoking ban. Even European lines are now restricting smoking more and more. It is the inevitable wave of the future.

In two years, we will see the final step of the smoking rule changes. That will be a total ban on smoking on the ships. It will happen. It will happen soon.

Ah, but they will lose the smokers to ......................................................................................................... nowhere. Almost every place prohibits smoking now. Most cruise lines right now are more restrictive than Carnival.

Smokers, you are second class citizens and I really do not have a whole lot of sympathy for you. I quit when cigarettes hit 60 cents a pack. You can quit, save lots of money, and be healthier too.

Doc

Oh!!! "Second Class Citizens Now!" You are a piece of work! Hope your glass house is comfortable!

I am a non-smoker who does not like the smell of smoke at all. I have never been bothered by any smoke on the balcony or the public areas. Do I smell it some - yes....is it a major bother - no.

I have found most people to be respectful of others and since the ship is moving it does tend to blow away quite quickly.

Princess is also changing their policy to eliminate smoking on balconies.

Good freakin' luck enforcing that. I can just imagine some of the posters here running down to Guest Services or burning up the phone line to complain and then complaining that their complaint didn't result in the offenders termination on the spot.

It will be enforced with a $250 fine per incidence. Pretty sure that will get the job done. But I'll let you know after we get back.

Yeah, you need to CATCH a person doing it though. You think anyone's going to come to their cabin door with a light cigarette in hand if there's a random knock? You don't think the security officers are sitting at their high-tech super surveillance consoles looking for people smoking, do you? For one thing, surveillance cameras are passive security, and for another, the active security has enough trouble keeping people from having adult relations in the hot tubs to be running down balcony smokers. I'd imagine it'd be a lot easier to get nailed in port though.

Yeah, you need to CATCH a person doing it though. You think anyone's going to come to their cabin door with a light cigarette in hand if there's a random knock?.

As I said, I'll let you know. We'll be sailing the first week of the new policy. I would think it would be fairly obvious if people were smoking on their balconies. The smart move would be for security to go to the cabin next to the offender and just peek around the railing.

I have no cruise experience other than Carnival. If these boards are anything to judge by, though, Princess cruisers seem to be somewhat more potty-trained. I expect most will follow the rules.

As I said, I'll let you know. We'll be sailing the first week of the new policy. I would think it would be fairly obvious if people were smoking on their balconies. The smart move would be for security to go to the cabin next to the offender and just peek around the railing.

you think security can get there faster than room service? how does one know where the smell is coming from?

i agree 2 wrongs don't make a right, but the op has no proof they were actually smoking inside. to quote the op ..."

" felt very badly for the baby who was with his parents in the balcony (sleeping in a crib) while his parents, rushed out to smoke while constantly hacking. We knew they were smoking in the room as well as you could smell it through the air ducts in the middle of the night."

what proof did they have other than smell. which could have come from anywhere around them.

i sincerely hope that a grown person would not subject a child to smoke in a closed room.

You would think most would have enough common sense huh? Well evidently they don't or they would not have made it a law in Calif. that you are not allowed to smoke in your car with children........oh if only a perfect world existed....

It just amazes me. I think non-smokers have been brainwashed and conditioned into a phobic response to just catching a whiff of cigarette smoke. Does anybody react that way to ANYTHING else that stinks? Does any other stink completely RUIN things for you?

I have serious doubts that an asthmatic person is going to have a full-blown attack from catching a whiff of smoke while outside on a moving ship in the breeze on a balcony.

And no one is going to get cancer from catching a whiff of smoke while outside on a moving ship in the breeze on a balcony.

Seriously. Some of you sound like nuts.

P.S. I don't smoke.

You would think most would have enough common sense huh? Well evidently they don't or they would not have made it a law in Calif. that you are not allowed to smoke in your car with children........oh if only a perfect world existed....

Cali is the exception, land of fruits and nuts ya know... :rolleyes:

Smokers, you are second class citizens and I really do not have a whole lot of sympathy for you. I quit when cigarettes hit 60 cents a pack. You can quit, save lots of money, and be healthier too.

Doc

Wow!....a little judgmental, aren't you?...especially since you were one of the 2nd class citizens yourself

It just amazes me. I think non-smokers have been brainwashed and conditioned into a phobic response to just catching a whiff of cigarette smoke. Does anybody react that way to ANYTHING else that stinks? Does any other stink completely RUIN things for you?

I have serious doubts that an asthmatic person is going to have a full-blown attack from catching a whiff of smoke while outside on a moving ship in the breeze on a balcony.

And no one is going to get cancer from catching a whiff of smoke while outside on a moving ship in the breeze on a balcony.

Seriously. Some of you sound like nuts.

P.S. I don't smoke.

I'm hitting the "Like" button :D

Archived