Would not book a balcony again until...

peggy1

OP, I don't blame you. Smoke drifts. Period. You can't confine it to your balcony only. True that the wind will blow it away, but it will also blow it pass others on the way out to sea. For a non-smoker it can be rather alarming to suddenly be hit in the face with smoke no matter how briefly. It happens walking down the street or even on the highway if you have your windows down. Since all the smoking bans, I honestly think it's made non-smokers more sensitive to it b/c you simply don't encounter it as often. So yes, while both parties have paid for the use of a private balcony, if your smoke leaves your balcony area--you are now possibly disturbing others. Just as I wouldn't want another pax invading my cabin to nap on my bed, I don't want their smoke visiting me either.

i sincerely hope that a grown person would not subject a child to smoke in a closed room.

I assume at least some do....Do you recall how freaked out smokers were when they finally outlawed smoking in cars with young kids in them?????

OP, I don't blame you. Smoke drifts. Period. You can't confine it to your balcony only. True that the wind will blow it away, but it will also blow it pass others on the way out to sea. For a non-smoker it can be rather alarming to suddenly be hit in the face with smoke no matter how briefly. It happens walking down the street or even on the highway if you have your windows down. Since all the smoking bans, I honestly think it's made non-smokers more sensitive to it b/c you simply don't encounter it as often. So yes, while both parties have paid for the use of a private balcony, if your smoke leaves your balcony area--you are now possibly disturbing others. Just as I wouldn't want another pax invading my cabin to nap on my bed, I don't want their smoke visiting me either.

But...smoking on your balcony is allowed, per carnival. Guess that's the risk someone is going to have to take if you decide to book a balcony, knowing that "smoking IS allowed".

Yeah, you need to CATCH a person doing it though. .

Nope. Not true. They just need to find physical evidence.

You would think most would have enough common sense huh? Well evidently they don't or they would not have made it a law in Calif. that you are not allowed to smoke in your car with children........oh if only a perfect world existed....

We're thinking alike....

Cali is the exception, land of fruits and nuts ya know... :rolleyes:

You think it's nuts to prohibit smoking in a car with a child?????? :eek: :rolleyes:

and fwiw, California is not the only state the prohibits smoking in a car with a child.

It sickens me that people need rules enacted in order to keep their children safe because they don't have the sense to do it on their own.

People accuse non smokers of being selfish???? I see nothing more selfish than putting a bad habit above the health of your own child. There is no defense for that.

It just amazes me. I think non-smokers have been brainwashed and conditioned into a phobic response to just catching a whiff of cigarette smoke. Does anybody react that way to ANYTHING else that stinks? Does any other stink completely RUIN things for you?

I have serious doubts that an asthmatic person is going to have a full-blown attack from catching a whiff of smoke while outside on a moving ship in the breeze on a balcony.

And no one is going to get cancer from catching a whiff of smoke while outside on a moving ship in the breeze on a balcony.

Seriously. Some of you sound like nuts.

P.S. I don't smoke.

Of course.......I certainly would not want sewer smell drifting my way either......skunks now that would be another........stinky fish also for me lol! However smoke wouldn't.....

Until we can get the entire universe to be considerate to others there will always be an issue with this... I used to smoke... i dont now by my choice... my sister still smokes ... by her choice... it isnt illegal!

But what I will say is i can now honestly smell it when a car n front of us has someone smoking in it it drives me nuts :) but im not going to say that they cant smoke in their own car because smoking is not illegal...

When I was a smoker many people asked me to put it out or to switch sides and I did, I never gave anyone an attitude about it... I also before I lit up would look around and make sure kids werent near me...

I also dont bang against hotel doors when i walk down the hallway or play music really loud in my apartment when its late...

Its about being considerate...

I will say if I am out somewhere and someones smoking bothers me I simply ask them nicely if they would move... i dont make hacking noises and be all dramatic about it.. if its bugging you ask them nicely to stop... if htta doesnt work then its on them...

Good freakin' luck enforcing that. I can just imagine some of the posters here running down to Guest Services or burning up the phone line to complain and then complaining that their complaint didn't result in the offenders termination on the spot.

I had a spa balcony cabin cabin on the Magic. No balcony smoking is allowed on the two-deck area and nobody smoked. If that can work for Carnival, it can work for Princess. If people are bothered by these new policies, they can look to other cruise lines which are more smoker friendly.

Of course.......I certainly would not want sewer smell drifting my way either.....

hell yeah :eek: When you're on a ship that's having one of the 'sewer-odor-issues', tobacco smoke seems almost like a floral bouquet by comparison!! :p

You think it's nuts to prohibit smoking in a car with a child?????? :eek: :rolleyes:

and fwiw, California is not the only state the prohibits smoking in a car with a child.

It sickens me that people need rules enacted in order to keep their children safe because they don't have the sense to do it on their own.

People accuse non smokers of being selfish???? I see nothing more selfish than putting a bad habit above the health of your own child. There is no defense for that.

No, it's nuts that we need legislation for things like that...

We have reduced the effectiveness of natural selection with all these laws... :D

Its about being considerate...

I will say if I am out somewhere and someones smoking bothers me I simply ask them nicely if they would move... i dont make hacking noises and be all dramatic about it.. if its bugging you ask them nicely to stop... if htta doesnt work then its on them...

I believe in being considerate also and I could see that happening if you were in a place that had no designated smoking areas, but if a smoker is smoking in the designated area where they are "allowed" to be smoking, I am sure the smoker would take offense to being asked to move or whatever.

I agree with another poster that this is always going to be a debate that is never ending.

back to the OP and her thoughts bout not ever booking a balcony again.....

:confused:

Why would she not consider switching cruise lines??? I'll be darned if I'd avoid a balcony just to stay with CCL.

back to the OP and her thoughts bout not ever booking a balcony again.....

Why would she not consider switching cruise lines??? I'll be darned if I'd avoid a balcony just to stay with CCL.

It's the lower priced cruise lines that all seem to have similar policies. Are Celbrity and Princess (1/15/12) the only mass market lines that don't allow smoking on balconies?

I believe in being considerate also and I could see that happening if you were in a place that had no designated smoking areas, but if a smoker is smoking in the designated area where they are "allowed" to be smoking, I am sure the smoker would take offense to being asked to move or whatever.

I agree with another poster that this is always going to be a debate that is never ending.

A considerate smoker if in a group or sits down next to someone regardless if it is a smoking area would always ask "would you mind if I smoked". This is what my dh does.....and you will be surprised that there has never been anyone yet that said no. But if they did he would just scoot over to another table instead of blowing smoke in their face.......

In regards to asking a smoker to move in a smoking area that is just as inconsiderate......

Common courtesy is what is lacking in this world......this goes way beyond the topic of smoking...

I assume at least some do....Do you recall how freaked out smokers were when they finally outlawed smoking in cars with young kids in them?????

yes. and it's sad that some people still don't understand why they should not smoke around children. children can't just get up and leave. if its one thing i am most careful about when smoking in public is to make sure there aren't any children around. we make it a point to go to an area designated or away from others so it does not bother them.

Same here :rolleyes: and I have been thinking of some sort of response, but these debates will always be just that with each side acting so self-righteous and there will never be any satisfaction until one side gets their way. My belief is that Carnival decides where you ARE allowed and NOT allowed to smoke. If you are smoking where you are "allowed" you should be able to do so, guilt free. Smokers will not be smoking in areas that are not allowed, however, if they are then you can complain and get them to stop. And as far as the comment about smokers not being able to afford balconies and/or longer cruises I find that comment absolutely ridiculous.

(I expect to get flamed, seems thats what happens on these boards lately if you are not in agreement with the masses)

No flame here as you are absolutely correct.

A considerate smoker if in a group or sits down next to someone regardless if it is a smoking area would always ask "would you mind if I smoked". This is what my dh does.....and you will be surprised that there has never been anyone yet that said no. But if they did he would just scoot over to another table instead of blowing smoke in their face.......

In regards to asking a smoker to move in a smoking area that is just as inconsiderate......

Common courtesy is what is lacking in this world......this goes way beyond the topic of smoking...

Your husband is a gem. I have to say I'd be sitting there with my mouth hanging open in shock if I was to hear that from a smoker while sitting in a smoking section....this is because sadly, your last sentence is spot on.

The thing is, if people on both sides of this issue (or opposing sides on any issue) acted like your DH....there would never be an issue.

A little kindness/consideration can solve a lot of problems.

We have had balconies next to smokers. We could smell their noxious fumes when we were in port. At sea, the 20+ mph winds carried the smoke away.

As to the future, I believe we will see phase 2 of the evolution of the smoking rules on Carnival next year at this time. We will see balcony smoking banned. We will see even more interior areas included in the smoking ban. Even European lines are now restricting smoking more and more. It is the inevitable wave of the future.

In two years, we will see the final step of the smoking rule changes. That will be a total ban on smoking on the ships. It will happen. It will happen soon.

Ah, but they will lose the smokers to ......................................................................................................... nowhere. Almost every place prohibits smoking now. Most cruise lines right now are more restrictive than Carnival.

Smokers, you are second class citizens and I really do not have a whole lot of sympathy for you. I quit when cigarettes hit 60 cents a pack. You can quit, save lots of money, and be healthier too.

Doc

Ah yes, everyplace else ON LAND prohibits smoking...and the smokers can step outside (100 feet away from the door please) and have a smoke, then go back in. Can't do that on a ship....but then I guess the "first class citizens" would suggest they just "step off the ship" to have a smoke. After all, it would rid the world of a few more second class citizens.

Tell you what, if your holier than though attitude is the "norm" of first class citizens, then I (a non-smoker) will join the second class citizens anyway. Don't want to become a smoker, but will still turn in my resignation as a first class citizen.

Your husband is a gem. I have to say I'd be sitting there with my mouth hanging open in shock if I was to hear that from a smoker while sitting in a smoking section....this is because sadly, your last sentence is spot on.

The thing is, if people on both sides of this issue (or opposing sides on any issue) acted like your DH....there would never be an issue.

A little kindness/consideration can solve a lot of problems.

We travel to Vegas quite a bit and I have had smokers do the same thing when they sit next to me. I also know that when I tell them to go ahead I also know they will do their best to keep the smoke out of my face or they wouldn't even ask. Now on the other hand it pisses me off to no end when a smoker will just plop down and smoke like I wasn't even there.....I have relatives like that and when I ask them they look at me like I have no idea what I am talking about lol! Some people are in their own little world:D It's not about smoking it is about being considerate.....

You would think most would have enough common sense huh? Well evidently they don't or they would not have made it a law in Calif. that you are not allowed to smoke in your car with children........oh if only a perfect world existed....
Obviously coming from one of the few perfect posters in this thread.:rolleyes:

Archived