Would not book a balcony again until...

peggy1

My point was if there were no changes anywhere it wouldn't matter if you were only on a ship for a week......because it wouldn't be occassional.

Yes, it still would be. The medical evidence is scant - you know that whole thing about human test subjects - but it takes years of exposure.

Anyone with common sense knows an occassional whif will not hurt anyone........

Yes, but how many people do you know who have common sense?

OMG! Isn't this horse dead yet?!!

Some of you all really like reading your own posts, and others really like having the last word.

I'm no longer a smoker. Don't care if you do. You're on a cruise RELAX! ;)

Well said! :)

The way this thread has gone it's like smoking has never ever been allowed on balconies before and this is now the first time they are going to allow it :rolleyes:

Smokers, you are second class citizens

Doc

I'm not typically a flamer. When I read something I don't like or disagree with I will simply move on....HOWEVER....this one comment just PO'd me off in the biggest way!!!

So, for fear of getting booted off this board by telling you what I honestly think of your inane comment, I will ask you, Doc, to imagine if you will my hand in front of my face with the first three fingers pointed straight up....Now....READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!!!!

I'm not typically a flamer. When I read something I don't like or disagree with I will simply move on....HOWEVER....this one comment just PO'd me off in the biggest way!!!

So, for fear of getting booted off this board by telling you what I honestly think of your inane comment, I will ask you, Doc, to imagine if you will my hand in front of my face with the first three fingers pointed straight up....Now....READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!!!!

I have to agree with you that it was a very rude post.

You guys just won't let it alone, will you? The general environment of the world today is pollution. You just can't visually see it, and if you do, you say, okay, it's not cigarette smoke. Everything in the modern world is carcinogenic, but you accept it because it makes your life easier, provides you with things, makes you look prettier or smell better. All chemicals.

You're riding on a giant pollution machine that discharges fumes into the air and depending on who the wind is blowing can pollute every single balcony on the entire ship .... and you're worried about cigarette smoke, which is inconsistent and dissipates quickly.

Forrest from the trees ...

Seriously. You rabid non-smokers need to stay indoors, where your beloved whale tail won't be belching carcinogens on you.

Our aft balcony furniture had to be regularly wiped down for soot.

I don't think your neighbor's cigar should be your biggest concern!

I'll give your response a perfect "10" - LOVE IT!!! When I read that comment I couldn't believe that someone would actually stoop that low and refer to smokers, or ANYONE, as second class citizens. Then again, I can. I read a thread several months ago where someone went into great detail describing a nightmare Carnival cruise and the typical Carnival passenger and none of it was very nice - well, it was downright nasty. He got flamed, big time. :)

AMEN

And enough with "OOOOOOH smoking around the children. Most of the kids today are as big as a house because they eat fast food and microwave crap three meals a day and the only excercise they get is working the controller on the Playstation. But oh God not a whiff of smoke

Odd too that asthma is on the upswing in children, even though fewer adults smoke now- and yet the generation that is 40-55 years old was born to mothers that smoked, and had doctors telling women it was an effective way to keep from gaining extra weight during pregnancy.

Not advocating smoking around kids or when you're pregnant... just an observation.

Odd too that asthma is on the upswing in children, even though fewer adults smoke now- and yet the generation that is 40-55 years old was born to mothers that smoked, and had doctors telling women it was an effective way to keep from gaining extra weight during pregnancy.

Not advocating smoking around kids or when you're pregnant... just an observation.

What:eek: Someones chain was severly being yanked.......

Holy crap people. It is one thing to express your opinions, but some of you are going way overboard (pun intended:D). Calling people second class citizens or telling someone you cant wait to smoke your head off on your balcony..wow. :(

I wouldn't really say its the smell of the smoke, but rather the smoke takes my breath away. I would never ask someone else to not smoke on their balcony because of my problem. I would be considerate and respect that you cannot smoke in your cabin and that you should be able to enjoy your balcony too.:cool:

That being said, if you are smoking every single time I go out there, I am going to come away aggravated about it and I might even come onto Cruise Critic and fuss about it if I so desire. :mad:

Don't hate me because I'm a non-smoker. I just want to enjoy my space too. :p

You're riding on a giant pollution machine that discharges fumes into the air and depending on who the wind is blowing can pollute every single balcony on the entire ship .... and you're worried about cigarette smoke, which is inconsistent and dissipates quickly.

Ha! Best post in the thread!

Agree, this is the best post.

That being said, the perfect ones are keeping very quiet about this remark.Also they went silent about soot on balconies. There has been a number of posts talking about the soot.

Has anyone noticed the emissions from the smokestack (on the webcams) just before they set sail? If not, please tune in to a cam at sail time. That's a biiiggg puff of smoke! Oh, wait, but it's needed so I can cruise!!:eek:

I honestly have a hard time understanding this 10% smoker figure that makes up Carnival's cruise population. Ok... so maybe 10% actually smoke but how many non-smokers are traveling WITH this smoker...friends, relatives & kids who don't smoke. DH smokes and I don't. We always book balconies just for this reason - so DH has a convenient place to smoke...outside. Come on people - we are on a cruise and certainly are not going to spend it on our balcony smoking 24/7 as others have at times suggested. He never smokes in the cabin and always uses the designated areas.

An occasional whiff on a moving ship is realistically about all you're going to get. Afterall it's not like being confined in an airport smoking lounge (when you can find them) - even DH has issues with that.

I also have to agree with the observations that on the smoking side on the lido decks it was always very hard to find a seat/table whenever we were out there - non-smoking side there were always tables available.

LISTEN CARNIVAL! We have stayed with Carnival because smoking IS still allowed on the balcony and we actually have 2 future cruises with Carnival booked already and are looking at a B2B with one of them. We have cruised Princess before but if smoking is no longer an option on its balconies - Princess is no longer an option for us - as smoker and a non-smoker.

Oh - BTW - if DH is supposedly considered a "second class" citizen just because he smokes then I guess I'm extremely proud to be one too as a non-smoker. :) What a ...... (I'm a polite 2nd classy)

Agree, this is the best post.

That being said, the perfect ones are keeping very quiet about this remark.Also they went silent about soot on balconies. There has been a number of posts talking about the soot.

Has anyone noticed the emissions from the smokestack (on the webcams) just before they set sail? If not, please tune in to a cam at sail time. That's a biiiggg puff of smoke! Oh, wait, but it's needed so I can cruise!!:eek:

Never had soot on my balcony.....the emissions from the smokestack is where it should be up and out of the way.......I'm sure if the waletail was stuck inbetween balconies there would be a problem donchathink?

The problem with your comment is that you are thinking only as a smoker. No one is telling smokers not to entitlement of their balconies. Smokers are completely entitled to use the balconies and even smoke on them as long as they can figure a way to contain the smoke the spit out on their balcony. I wonder how smokers would feel if I took a drink of my rum and coke swilled it around in my spit it up in the air to land on whoever was close enough to get it on them.

Sorry you feel that way. As others have posted, smokers are (and will be Dec.1) simply following the rules. I'm not picking a fight (honest!), but rather than expecting the smokers go up on deck, why don't the non-smokers? Is one group more "entitled" to their balconies than the other?

You always have the option of booking a spa balcony or sailing another line. Can't offer many suggestions beyond that if you're looking for a cruise vacation.

Again, sorry you feel that way.

The way I understand it (at least for Carnival), the smoking policy will apply to the rooms only. This does not cover the balcony rooms. I think this will actually get smokers out on their balcony even more because they will not be able to smoke in their rooms.

There's always the Spa Balcony cabins. You are not permitted to smoke in the room or on the balcony of Spa cabins. That may be a alternative for you.

Bottom line - people are going to smoke on their balconies no matter what the rules say. Sad, but true.

Good points but if you have a smoker under your balcony, then even if your is a "smoke free" balcony (e.g. Spa cabin) you will smell it. So the only way to be assured of avoiding this problem, which will get worse on the balconies as smokers will have to be there in greater numbers then when they were once-upon-a-time in their cabins smoking, is too choose a non-smoking balcony ship.

No one is telling smokers not to entitlement of their balconies. Smokers are completely entitled to use the balconies and even smoke on them as long as they can figure a way to contain the smoke the spit out on their balcony. I wonder how smokers would feel if I took a drink of my rum and coke swilled it around in my spit it up in the air to land on whoever was close enough to get it on them.

Smokers are completely entitled to smoke on their balconies for as long as Carnival says they can. YOU are not entitled to assault people with your beverage but you ARE free to cruise another line. :rolleyes:

The problem with your comment is that you are thinking only as a smoker. No one is telling smokers not to entitlement of their balconies. Smokers are completely entitled to use the balconies and even smoke on them as long as they can figure a way to contain the smoke the spit out on their balcony. I wonder how smokers would feel if I took a drink of my rum and coke swilled it around in my spit it up in the air to land on whoever was close enough to get it on them.

Your analogy makes no sense at all.:rolleyes:

As much as the non smokers ( me) don't like it, smokers are allowed to smoke on their balconies.

It is not a big deal to either wait till they finish their cigs or go inside, do something else.

Toni

As much as the non smokers ( me) don't like it, smokers are allowed to smoke on their balconies.

It is not a big deal to either wait till they finish their cigs or go inside, do something else.

Toni

All true but it reduces my desire to book amother balcony on Carnival and also encourages us to look for alternatives for future cruises.

All true but it reduces my desire to book amother balcony on Carnival and also encourages us to look for alternatives for future cruises.

That's what makes it so great that non smokers can take their business to Celebrity or Princess.

But we are talking about Carnival and as of now, smokers can smoke on the balconies and non smokers that continue to book on Carnival knowing this, just have to deal with it or move on.

We like Carnival and while we don't like the smoke, we just deal with it.

Toni

Archived