Changes in Celebrity's Dining Room in September?

negc

Why do so many on this thread seem to think the change will be a bad change? :confused:

Because it seems to be coming from Van Staden - the man who has served up the deterioration of Celebrity food over the past 3 years.

I agree with you. In fact, I'm wondering which cruiseline will announce the FIRST fast food restaurant (ie, McDonald's, Burger, King, etc) at sea....

RCI has had Johhny Rockets on several of their ships for years already.

Because it seems to be coming from Van Staden - the man who has served up the deterioration of Celebrity food over the past 3 years.

I disagree; I think he has done an overall good job. The buffet area has been expanded at dinner, the coffee has been upgraded from syrup to grounds, the specialty restaurants are considered by many to be the best among the mass market lines, Blu was a wonderful addition for people who wanted to experience an upgraded dining experience without having to splurge for a luxury line and the food in the MDR has remained fairly stable the past few years (and is quite good considering the food budget they have to work with). I have been impressed with Mr. Van Staden.

If people want "stunning" high quality food for no upcharge, they are going to have to pay a considerably higher premium over current cruise prices. I love Celebrity's model of having more-than-adequate included food (for those who do not want to pay more or who are happy with the included food) and a variety of specialty venues for those who love dining out and are happy to pay a surcharge in exchange for an upgraded meal.

I agree with you. In fact, I'm wondering which cruiseline will announce the FIRST fast food restaurant (ie, McDonald's, Burger, King, etc) at sea....

As noted RCCL has Johnny Rockets. They also have Starbucks. In fact, you can use yuur preloaded (US) Starbucks card for payment.

M

I thought the idea of being able to order Specialty restaurant items in the MDR was plausable (albeit not one I subscribe to as I fear it would be the beginning of a very slippery slope). However, the argument against that is that the Specialty restaurants have their own kitchens. Without significant redesign of the whole concept, I do not think they could handle the volume this would create.

Call me negative if you want, but I fear a whole list of added price 'gourmet' choices to the main menu. Coupled with that would be a decrease in quality and variety of the non-priced items. I am not a negative person by nature - not at all - but Celebrity has been adding more and more 'for a charge' services, food venues, food items, etc., in recent years. I think the thought they would bring that thinking into the MDR is not negative; it's realistic. It would be positioned as a postive in that you would have more and fancier options. Some would even agree with that spin. I am not one of them.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, but the initial quote in this thread was "How passengers receive their meals will be completely different from other cruise ships. Our new main restaurant experience will be a trendsetter in the industry".

I would hope that would mean that this has nothing to do with starting to charge for a la cart items in the MDR, since multiple cruiselines have already tried that. In other words, it certainly wouldn't be a "trendsetter" if Celebrity did it too.

and Van Standen has also improved the presentation of the food.

Celebrity is our favorite line and despite cutbacks/changes over the years, we still think X offers the best food/service in its market niche. I would, however, have to disagree with your statement about Van Staten improving presentation, at least with respect to the MDR. When we first started cruising with X back in the early 90's, every plate that arrived at the table was a work of art; over the last couple of years, far less so. I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with the way plates arrive, but it appears far less attention is being paid to presentation than was under the tutelage of Chef Roux. JMHO.

My own feeling over the past couple of years was the food hasn't been as good in the MDR. I have to say that on Eclipse earlier in the year, but more especially Solstice in June the food was markedly better. It was well presented, tasty and I had something every night in the MDR that I really enjoyed. It restored my faith quite a bit.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, but the initial quote in this thread was "How passengers receive their meals will be completely different from other cruise ships. Our new main restaurant experience will be a trendsetter in the industry".

I would hope that would mean that this has nothing to do with starting to charge for a la cart items in the MDR, since multiple cruiselines have already tried that. In other words, it certainly wouldn't be a "trendsetter" if Celebrity did it too.

I think I've worked it out.

pie-in-face-300x195.jpg

Phil

I disagree; I think he has done an overall good job. The buffet area has been expanded at dinner, the coffee has been upgraded from syrup to grounds, the specialty restaurants are considered by many to be the best among the mass market lines, Blu was a wonderful addition for people who wanted to experience an upgraded dining experience without having to splurge for a luxury line and the food in the MDR has remained fairly stable the past few years (and is quite good considering the food budget they have to work with). I have been impressed with Mr. Van Staden.

If people want "stunning" high quality food for no upcharge, they are going to have to pay a considerably higher premium over current cruise prices. I love Celebrity's model of having more-than-adequate included food (for those who do not want to pay more or who are happy with the included food) and a variety of specialty venues for those who love dining out and are happy to pay a surcharge in exchange for an upgraded meal.

Van Staten has been better than the person that was there for a while before him but in my opinion he doesn't hold a candle to Roux. The dining room each night was what the specialty restaurants are now. I know that's long gone but gives me quite fond memories of cruising with Roux.

I have found that throughout the years each cruise is an experience of it's own. We took our first Celebrity cruise in 1994 and have many under our belts.

I would never agree that the dining room used to be like the specialty restaurants are now. Then, as now, there are some dining room experiences that are better than others. In general, there used to be more high quality ingredients in the main dining room, but the preparation can always vary depending on who the head chef is, the ingredients on that particular cruise and even the cook who happened to prepare your particular dish.

A good waiter can also make a difference by choosing his plates carefully.

I believe Ma Bell & dzcruiser both make valid points. We don't go back to 1994so I cannot use quite as long a history as Ma but we have noticed a definite drop off in the quality of the dining room food since our first X cruise which was in 2003. But having said that, the food on our 14 night Panama Canal on Millie in April 2010 was outstanding. Our last X cruise was on Summit in April 2011 and the food was good but certainly not great. It is most definitely true that the individual chefs & cooks on the ship for any given cruise will impact the dining room experience. Celebrity is still better than most of their competition, but in my opinion not what they used to be either. I will admit I am curious about what this "change" will actually be. I guess time will tell.

...It is most definitely true that the individual chefs & cooks on the ship for any given cruise will impact the dining room experience.

Recently, yes; but under Roux, quality, taste and presentation seemed to be held to higher standards that were consistent throughout the fleet. My guess is Van Staten is working within the constraints of a food allowance lower than Roux's, but consistency is about oversight and doesn't cost anything. Just MHO.

I have found the food to be very inconsistent ship to ship, and sometimes night to night. On the Solstice, which we sailed a couple weeks after she started, I thought the food was fair at best. On the Eclipse, which we sailed earlier this year, I thought the food was excellent on all nights but two (on which it was so-so at best). I also have fond memories of the food years ago, which I think overall was better and certainly more consistent than it is now.

So back to the main point of this thread - if not a 'pay-per-option' thing, what could it be? I haven't seen any really viable other thoughts yet, nor can I think of one myself yet. I am stumped. What could affect the 'delivery' of the food, or are we being way too literal in thinking he meant to emphasize that word? Call me negative, but as I said in an earlier post Celebrity seems to be adding pay for this; pay for that all over their ships as much as they can possibly think of. In my evil little heart of hearts I truly believe (but hope otherwise) that there will certainly be a new price tag somewhere/somehow connected to this fabulous change. :rolleyes:

I have found the food to be very inconsistent ship to ship, and sometimes night to night. On the Solstice, which we sailed a couple weeks after she started, I thought the food was fair at best. On the Eclipse, which we sailed earlier this year, I thought the food was excellent on all nights but two (on which it was so-so at best). I also have fond memories of the food years ago, which I think overall was better and certainly more consistent than it is now.

So back to the main point of this thread - if not a 'pay-per-option' thing, what could it be? I haven't seen any really viable other thoughts yet, nor can I think of one myself yet. I am stumped. What could affect the 'delivery' of the food, or are we being way too literal in thinking he meant to emphasize that word? Call me negative, but as I said in an earlier post Celebrity seems to be adding pay for this; pay for that all over their ships as much as they can possibly think of. In my evil little heart of hearts I truly believe (but hope otherwise) that there will certainly be a new price tag somewhere/somehow connected to this fabulous change. :rolleyes:

"Delivery of the food" -- could it have something to do with how the waiter gets the food to you ---- i.e. cart vs. tray? Vicki

"Delivery of the food" -- could it have something to do with how the waiter gets the food to you ---- i.e. cart vs. tray? Vicki

I guess so, but what about that would make it an announcement worthy change??? Don't have the answer; just the questions

Why do so many on this thread seem to think the change will be a bad change? :confused:

Perhaps for the same reason that some always see the glass as half empty and because their memories of the past are usually more nostalgia than reality.

I have been told that ordering your meals on an IPAD is already possible on Eclipse so there goes one suggestion out the window.;)

I have been told that ordering your meals on an IPAD is already possible on Eclipse so there goes one suggestion out the window.;)

Is that the method available in Qsine?

I believe it is not the standard throughout the MDR. :confused:

A new marketing tie-in...food to be delivered by Hooters Girls?? :p

Although they'd probably have to come up with another uniform for formal nights, or there'd be lots of complaints on these boards. :D

A new marketing tie-in...food to be delivered by Hooters Girls?? :p

Although they'd probably have to come up with another uniform for formal nights, or there'd be lots of complaints on these boards. :D

LOL! I need to book a few more cruises, then. My wife probably wouldn't go, though.

I certainly do not want to pre-order food early in the day. What I choose to eat depends on how tired I am, what I have eaten earlier in the day, etc.

One thing I don't like in the MDR is when a tablemate comes in very late and someone at the table has decided for all to wait for them...the them who might have decided to opt out that night!

I certainly do not want to pre-order food early in the day. What I choose to eat depends on how tired I am, what I have eaten earlier in the day, etc.

One thing I don't like in the MDR is when a tablemate comes in very late and someone at the table has decided for all to wait for them...the them who might have decided to opt out that night!

That's one of the reasons we want to be seated with our traveling companions at a table for four (and a table for four only). It has been requested and placed on our reservation. We know that it's possible we may not initially get it. However, if we don't have one assigned we will go to the maitre'd the first day after finding our assignment and request to be changed to one. :)

I don't like the idea of pre-ordering food either. There's an even bigger chance it will be even less fresh/hot when that is done.

This thread is going to be VERY long by the time the announcement comes...if it comes. :)

I'll chime in though...since the quote involved "receiving food" and something "new to the industry" (or trendsetting? can't remember) I started to think about what was done with dining on most cruiselines...most non-premium lines offer only two seatings, food is basically pre-made with a revolving 12-15 menus.

So, what could be new that applies to the quotes? It probably won't be a new fee-structure, as many ships offer that on "premium" items.

Maybe they are shrinking the menu, and doing more seatings or an all anytime dining with food made to order?

Archived