Huh? How would you feel?

dpump

Left me preface this with the fact I never use TA's any longer. The exception being our upcoming cruise. Wasn't familiar with Holland and wanted an SA category this trip. Called a cruise only TA and even have been in the office twice. She emails me to see if I have any questions, etc. I emailed her yesterday giving my first and last name. I receive an email back stating my name sounded familiar, but

she needed my booking # and departure date to look up my file. Huh? Am I not known by my name, only as DV***? (my booking number). Still scratching my head over this one. No wonder I don't use TA's.

Debbie, I only use internet TAs. When I contact them, I ALWAYS give them my name, ship name, sailing date, & booking #. Even though I have a very uncommon last name, I wouldn't except the TA to remember me. Plus, the computer system may be set up in a way that requires a booking # and other info before a name.

Just my opinion.:)

I'm not in love with any TA and don't need to be. They provide me a service and in our case it's simply to book the cruise at the lowest possible cost for the category of cabin we want. I'm not taking them out to dinner or having them over to the house and I don't particularly need to be their friend.

Left me preface this with the fact I never use TA's any longer. The exception being our upcoming cruise. Wasn't familiar with Holland and wanted an SA category this trip. Called a cruise only TA and even have been in the office twice. She emails me to see if I have any questions, etc. I emailed her yesterday giving my first and last name. I receive an email back stating my name sounded familiar, but

she needed my booking # and departure date to look up my file. Huh? Am I not known by my name, only as DV***? (my booking number). Still scratching my head over this one. No wonder I don't use TA's.

A good TA would remember, but she might be so good that she has an abundance of clients (maybe even on the same sailing). Or maybe you have a common name? Or maybe she was having an off day? Anyway, all she really should need is your first and last name and ship and sailing date to look it up in HAL's system. If you're uncomfortable about it, you should let her know. Ask why she needed all that and see what she says. Good luck and have a great cruise! :)

Maxine

I agree. Our relationship with our TA is strictly business. We do not want to befriend each other. She wants our business, we want the best price. When those two circumstances intersect, we have a deal.

It could be an agency rule. Perhaps there have been misunderstandings in the past with people who may have had multiple bookings on the same cruise line.

We always use a TA. The cruise line reps are fine but they are just that...employees of the cruise line and ultimately beholdin' to them for their jobs. We prefer the independence and the savings that we realize when dealing with a good TA.

We sail on several cruise lines. We want a TA who is not only familiar with some of those lines, but more importantly tells us about special offers. About a month ago we booked a mid Sept. Greek Isles cruise. We were looking at another cruise in the same timeframe on another cruise line. Our TA told us about a one day special on a competing cruise line, on a great ship that was about 35 percent less than we were planning to spend. We did the deal. Had we used a cruise line PCC we would of course not even know about this.

It could have been a secretary or assistant strictly following the rules and answering the email in your TA's name. To assure there are no mixups the official procedure may be that all id info is given and, even though your name is uncommon, the gal answering your questions followed the letter of the law. I wouldn't be negative about the TA because of this. Even if it was the TA herself, so what. She's a stickler for detail- a good trait.

How would I feel if my TA asked for my booking number? I wouldn't feel anything. I'd just give her the number and be done with it.

I have an unusual last name, and have booked about eight cruises and two non-cruise vacation trips with my TA. Yet when I sent him an email last year and neglected to give my booking number he confused me with another John. I didn't take any offense - maybe he was having a bad day. ;)

I would rather someone who is detail oriented and attempts to avoid error. The more information they have in front of them, the less room for error.

Had she said, "Oh yes, Hello Ms &&&&&&&,

Why don't you give me your booking number so I can call up your records."

Would you have felt more 'recognized'? Perhaps it's just her lack of charm and poor way she put it that is irritating?

Huh? How would you feel?

I would feel bad that I didn't provide my booking number. I have a pretty unusual name, and yet, there a many many people with the SAME name. At least one is a convicted murderer :eek: (When I found that out, I changed every bank account and credit card to include my middle name. I still hate having to deal with the police, because I always INSIST that they take my middle name and date of birth, and they never WANT to, and then.... ugh)

I would rather someone who is detail oriented and attempts to avoid error. The more information they have in front of them, the less room for error.

Had she said, "Oh yes, Hello Ms &&&&&&&,

Why don't you give me your booking number so I can call up your records."

Would you have felt more 'recognized'? Perhaps it's just her lack of charm and poor way she put it that is irritating?

I agree this is how the agent should have probably responded.

But question to the OP, if you were to go into a Dry Cleaners and drop off your cleaning, when you came back would you expect them to remember you and which piece of laundry you brought in:confused:

I know that is not a great comparison but if this is the first time you have dealt with this agent then I really think you need to give them some slack. If they are a fairly busy agency then that agent may talk to 20+clients a day. If you do not have an easy last name they may not want to ask you how to spell it and make them look bad so it was easier to ask for you booking number.

Once you become a frequent client you may receive that more personal service you want but give them a chance to get to know you.

I agree this is how the agent should have probably responded.

But question to the OP, if you were to go into a Dry Cleaners and drop off your cleaning, when you came back would you expect them to remember you and which piece of laundry you brought in:confused:

I know that is not a great comparison but if this is the first time you have dealt with this agent then I really think you need to give them some slack. If they are a fairly busy agency then that agent may talk to 20+clients a day. If you do not have an easy last name they may not want to ask you how to spell it and make them look bad so it was easier to ask for you booking number.

Once you become a frequent client you may receive that more personal service you want but give them a chance to get to know you.

Well actually our drycleaner registers everything by phone number - and my girl has ours memorized:) But I see her a lot more than I do a TA:rolleyes:

If I email my on line TA, I always include my booking number - it is the nature of the beast. Before my bricks and mortar TA retired, I never gave a booking number - but, times they are a changing:p

If you cruise with HAL why not use their PCC, Personal Cruise Consultants. We have had one for quite some time and she does an awful lot for us including booking, answering ?'s, etc. We are on a first name basis and I either email or call her if I have any concerns. She was very helpful in our last cruise out of NY to Bermuda during Irene.

Mike

Likely its a security thing. While she may well recognize your name emails are easy enough to forge.

I can understand you feeling a bit underappreciated or unrecognized, but I believe you stated that this is the first booking with this agent. If it happened to me, I would wonder what was going on,:confused: but then we have booked all but about 10 of our over 80 cruises with our current TA.

What I feel is most important is the level of service/expertise that the TA brings to the relationship. Familairity and or friendship (if desired) will hopefully come with repeated interactions. Give it an opportunity.

Ray in NH -- for ONLY eight more "Wake-Ups" :cool:

Archived