Ladies covering the gray on long cruises

DancingGypsy

On a b2b cruise do u ever bring hair dye to touch up roots? I noticed many ladies including myself being in the sun "my grays" seem to show more....I just wondering "how" a box of hair dye would hold up in the plane since my hairspray has blown up in the baggie....Lana

I've worked long and hard for my grey hair and I'm very proud of it. No dye for me.

I've worked long and hard for my grey hair and I'm very proud of it. No dye for me.

Its not grey hair - its platinum ;)

ROTFLMAO! When I retired, the first thing (after the pantyhose) that went into the trash was the hair dye. DH loves it -- he says I'm not going grey -- I'm going platinum blonde! :p

I either bring my own hair color and/or the 'root touch up' product (for shorter cruises). Just be sure and put in a couple of plastic bags and all that you need. Was in China once and forgot (of all things.........) hair spray. Went into a WalMart (that was a real experience) and tried talking through hand signals that I needed hair spray. Chinese do not normally use hairspray. After all that, I double check I have all those kinds of things.

We've never been on a cruise longer than 2 weeks, and I can get by without touch-ups for that length of time, but if (when?) we go longer, I will bring my own color and developer along in tripled zip-locks.

Luckily I got a small bottle of conditioner free with a purchase once, and my color bottles are very small. I'll mix them in a zip-lock and bring a pair of plastic gloves--see, I've got it all planned out! And, I'll just do the obvious touch-ups, not the whole head.

If we would go for months (doubtful) I'd just get it done on ship or in port--That might be an adventure!

Lucky enough that my hair has been going platinum blonde for a while now and am to the point I have not had to color in almost a year now and everyone compliments me on my beautiful highlights and sun-streaked hair:p Little do they know!

OTOH, I'm on vacation, ain't no way I'm spending that much time fussing with hair color. I just used to get it done right before we sailed and would be just fine for up to two weeks (3rd week would be a little dicey, but not too bad);)

It's something to think about if you want to cover the grey, highlight or whatever. I plan on doing it right before my cruise and hopefully it will carry me through, whether it's one or two weeks! With that being said, thanks for the reminder, but I also agree with all the ladies that have posted on this thread. My Dad always said "I'm just letting my hair go back natural". And he had the most beautiful grey hair, as did all of my aunts/uncles. I guess one day I'll do the same. But until then, I will say thanks to Clairol, Wella, or the like.

If I don't have time to cover the grey, there is always the "Roux" temporary color that comes in a bottle from the beauty supply. I always carry a small bottle of that with me when I travel - just in case! It's kinda like the old saying "it's better than sliced bread"....

Happy Cruising............

I gave up coloring my "silver" about 1 1/2 yrs ago and am happy I did , I actually like the change now, but not everyone feels that way , so if you are worried about hairspray or haircolor on a plane , what about stopping at a store before embarkation, we always arrive a day early and I go to Walgreens and get the little things I need there. Just a thought.

Cori

How on earth would you go about washing the hair color out? The sink is too small & I don't imagine you'd want it running all over your body if you got in the shower ...............:eek:

I once tried a "quick" shampoo by removing the shower spray from the handle & bending into the shower. I ended up getting much wetter than planned & know for sure trying to wash hair coloring out that way would be pretty darn difficult.

If you need a touch up, I strongly recommend a visit to the beauty salon onboard.

Depending upon where you are traveling, stop in a shop in one of the ports and buy what you need.

Or, let the roots show a bit. Probably no one but you will barely notice or particularly care if your roots need touching up.

I've never colored my hair in my life and truly plan to keep it that way.

Archived