General Strike in Greece

Tucruisers

We are scheduled to fly fro Heathrow to Athens to board Voyager next Wednesday 19 October. Unfortunately, this is also the date of a planned general strike in Greece which will mean no flights that day. Regent today confirmed rebooked flights to Athens on Tuesday and with hotel on the Athenian Riviera that night ( no cost to us) which does not garantee a trouble free trip but is really helpful. This is impressive as BA has not formally cancelled the flights so looks like Regent might be incurring big costs to look after passengers/customers and also presumably they have all the transatlantic customers as well as those disembarking to deal with.

Problems will always occur, in a way it is part of the travel experience, but probably a good idea to reflect on how travel companies handle situations as they arise. Top marks to Regent so far, but still nervous about whether we make it to the ship!

About 10 days ago we saw this coming and rebooked our flights (with Regent) to the Tuesday. It looks like we could have saved ourselves a bit of money but being the sort of guy who needs all his ducks in a row, I don't resent the extra money as it reduced our stress.

What I am impressed with is Regent taking this action to support its customers - very impressive.

One point : I believe most of the passengers from the USA will be travelling out on the Tuesday anyway and staying in a hotel overnight.

Let's hope we get passed the pickets around the port!

That is most impressive of Regent. They do look after the guests who have booked air travel with them.

It must be a nightmare for them and very costly, too, as they have the ground arrangements, (coaches, reps, etc) to deal with not to mention the enormous problems of incoming passengers and their needs. It is, I understand a two day strike so those disembarking will have to be accommodated. It will be hard for non-Regent Air people, I am afraid.

About 10 days ago we saw this coming and rebooked our flights (with Regent) to the Tuesday. It looks like we could have saved ourselves a bit of money but being the sort of guy who needs all his ducks in a row, I don't resent the extra money as it reduced our stress.

What I am impressed with is Regent taking this action to support its customers - very impressive.

One point : I believe most of the passengers from the USA will be travelling out on the Tuesday anyway and staying in a hotel overnight.

Let's hope we get passed the pickets around the port!

MV21 - Yes, we saw your original post and we were grateful to you for alerting us. Don't blame you at all for rebooking early. I hope Regent are able to get everyone out in time but I know they were having some problems about seat availability. I understand that the Air Traffic Controllers have now announced the strike for both 19 and 20 October, so maybe problems for those disembarking Voyager. If their air travel is booked through Regent I guess they might get taken to the Arion, which looks a very nice hotel.

Maybe a few adventures for us next week, dockers, customs officers, taxi drivers etc all planning to strike so fingers crossed!

Maybe a few adventures for us next week, dockers, customs officers, taxi drivers etc all planning to strike so fingers crossed!

My wife and I have decided to try and be laid back about it (easier for her than me!!!) but I'm trying real hard! :-)

We wonder if we may lose the first day as we may not be able to board until the Thursday which will be a shame as we really wanted to see the theatre at Epidaurus which is on the Thursday but ho hum mustn't complain too much as we figure we are lucky being on a cruise anyway.

I am just looking forward to finally getting into our cabin (sorry suite) and tasting that first glass of champagne - whenever it is.

we really wanted to see the theatre at Epidaurus which is on the Thursday

Did you see the travel programme on TV on Thursday night with Joanna Lumley exploring Greece? She visited the theatre at Epidaurus with Nana Mouskouri who sang Ave Maria unaccompanied. What an amazing place, such tremendous accoustics.

Regent secured the earlier flights just in time. I understand BA have cancelled all flights into Athens from this evening and tomorrow.

I also understand that the Greek Seamen's Union have barred all ships from the port. Voyager is due to dock at 0600 tomorrow. I hope that she manages it. We wait with baited breath!

next yr..seems lots of hassle for them,,,I,,for one will be choosing another cruise than planned,,wanted Black Sea,,but will choose line that leaves from Istanbul..

Perhaps,,,I could just get credit for Athens to Istanbul portion and start from there?:confused:

The trouble with that approach is that today it is Athens tomorrow anywhere in the world. Istanbul, perhaps. Trouble in New York. Rome anywhere.

Boy, I really wonder how the folks coming and going to Voyager today are doing. Sounds like today was pretty awful.

In fact the incoming guests had no problems, at least if they had opted for Regent Air. Voyager docked on Tuesday night and guests boarded and were welcomed as usual. Somehow they managed to beat the embargo and sailed away at just after 2200 hrs.

I don't know how the disembarked guests went on. Again, if they took Regent Air, I feel they would have been looked after.

Yes, sure , things could happen anywhere, but Athens seems lately to be a powder keg. And after they pass the latest round of austerity measures these kind of demonstrations will not get any better. There are many places to cruise to/ from. At the moment , for me, Athens joins other no go places like Egypt or mexico.

Yes, sure , things could happen anywhere, but Athens seems lately to be a powder keg. And after they pass the latest round of austerity measures these kind of demonstrations will not get any better. There are many places to cruise to/ from. At the moment , for me, Athens joins other no go places like Egypt or mexico.

I for one feel some sympathy with the many cruise lines (and passengers) which are currently booked in to start and end cruises - and restock the ships - in Piraeus; not easy to change plans at no notice. One suspects the Greeks are shooting themselves in the foot, as next year if things do not improve Athens will no longer be an important staging post for the lines and the lines will find somewhere else, probably not in Greece.

Jamie's narrative is an absolute classic. Every cruise passenger ought to read it so when things go wrong they know it could be far worse!

Yes, he puts it very well. The tone suggests that there may have been a few upset passengers but, to quote a well worn phrase, "what can you do?". No doubt there will be different perspectives but Regent does appear to have done a good job in all the circumstances.

Just to report that although every story may not have a hppy ending this one is going pretty well so far. Remarkably, all but 6 pax made it in time for departure, and as previously mentioned we were flown out 24 hours earlier than planned and put up at the Arion Hotel, a seriously nice place on the Athenian Riviera. We were told Hilary Clinton had been a recent guest. All the Regent people we spoke to were happy, some said the hotel was expensive for dinner. Maybe so, but we had a good dinner in a local taverna for 50 euro for 2 including wine.

Weather so far has been gorgeous, bright and sunny, seas flat. In Crete today and off to Rodos tonight. Don't want to cross-post, but no smell of tobacco from the computer room from where I am sending this.

In fact the incoming guests had no problems, at least if they had opted for Regent Air. Voyager docked on Tuesday night and guests boarded and were welcomed as usual. Somehow they managed to beat the embargo and sailed away at just after 2200 hrs.

I don't know how the disembarked guests went on. Again, if they took Regent Air, I feel they would have been looked after.

My husband and I were on this cruise, and yes, it was a great pity that the weather was so unkind, and yes, these were the roughest seas we have sailed, but having said that - we thoroughly enjoyed our time on board the Voyager. The way Captain McNeill, Jamie, and everyone else concerned handled the problems was commendable, and it distressed us somewhat to hear people complaining about the disruption to the itinerary. We had really looked forward to the Greek islands - particularly Santorini, but at least we will live to go again, which might not have been the case if the captain had not made such sensible decisions. We were taken to Athens for two days, which we decided would be a bonus on top of our 10 day cruise, and a bonus it was. The hotel was lovely, the weather was warm and sunny, and although our flights were not what we would have chosen, they were on time, and the transfers to the airport from Athens went smoothly. What more can anyone expect.

Archived