Does Celebrity have a Movies Under The Stars program like Princess?

hrmccoy

I was hoping to watch the Super Bowl out on the deck like we did on the Grand Princess 2 years ago. Didn't remember that MUTS was so noisy during the day as people have mentioned. I have read complaints about loud bands in the Lido. I am no Spring Chicken and usually prefer classical music, but these things don't bother me. I am not deaf either.

I hope they stay without that nonsense- I am also a peace and quite person. I even hate the constand background music on Board S- Class ships, esp. in Martini Bar and at the Pool- well that area is avoided by my anyway, I always look out for a nice and quite place, such as the Solstice Deck...well worth the stairs ones has to climb to get there.

We're planning to cruise Celebrity for the first time and I was just wondering if they had a program similar to Princess with outdoor movies at night. TIA, Heather

No, but when Royal Caribbean renovated Radiance of the Seas they added an outdoor movie screen to that ship and are planning to do the same with other ships in their fleet. Since Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are owned by the same company and Celebrity frequently adds a feature a few years after Royal Caribbean does, it is very possible that it will done in the future.

I love Movies Under the Stars and missed it on my Celebrity cruise. It's a great time to sit on deck on a beautiful night and watch a movie. Personally, I think Celebrity wasted a lot of space on the top, but I see they're reworking that with their new design. On Princess, there are other quiet freshwater pools you can enjoy if you don't like the pool where MUTS is.

Exactly my view

On Solstice last August the noise around the main pools was no less than the Princess ships I've been on. We therefore always went up on the Solstice deck for peace and quiet.

In the right location an outdoor screen would be an asset on a Celebrity ship

One of the things that Celebrity Cruises has going for it among the mass market cruise lines is that is still doesn't have the water parks, rock climbing walls, and 18-hour a day jumbo-trons showing music videos, commercials, and movies. If I want or need that kind of non-stop poolside stimulation then I can choose any one of the other 40 ships that do have them.

Sure, the poolside 'noise' on a Solstice-class may be at times a bit busy, but it's not non-stop for hours, and hours, and hours. At least there are quiet times. I can't imagine the cruise lines that have the jumbo-trons invested all that money to have them turned off for during daylight hours, evening hours, and port times when it could be running at all hours of the day.

Celebrity Cruises is better for not having them. They don't need to clutter up the resort decks of their beautiful ships with gigantic movie screens.

In the right location an outdoor screen would be an asset on a Celebrity ship

Nah, I don't think so. And apparently, so do most of the people responding to this thread.

Why stop with a screen? How about "In the right location a rock wall would be an asset on a Celebrity ship" or "In the right location a water slide would be an asset on a Celebrity ship" or "In the right location a zip line would be an asset on a Celebrity ship". If Celebrity starts adding the things that are unique to other cruise lines, they might as well change their name to "Princess" or "Royal Caribbean", or heaven help us, "Carnival".

Keep that stuff for the other lines. If that's what I wanted, that's where I'd go. Keep Celebrity a higher class experience than the others.

Nah, I don't think so. And apparently, so do most of the people responding to this thread.

Why stop with a screen? How about "In the right location a rock wall would be an asset on a Celebrity ship" or "In the right location a water slide would be an asset on a Celebrity ship" or "In the right location a zip line would be an asset on a Celebrity ship". If Celebrity starts adding the things that are unique to other cruise lines, they might as well change their name to "Princess" or "Royal Caribbean", or heaven help us, "Carnival".

Keep that stuff for the other lines. If that's what I wanted, that's where I'd go. Keep Celebrity a higher class experience than the others.

The zip line on the Oasis/Allure runs over the Boardwalk and unless you look up you wouldn't even know it is there. No noise at all except for the riders silently gliding by every minute.

The RCI rock walls are mostly on the sport deck far away from the pools. There is no noise.

The Jumbotrons on Carnival and Princess are flat in the middle of the pool decks and are LOUD and OBTRUSIVE. They impact my cruise experience in a big way. And don't tell me to move to a side pool, we like the big pool areas. The only moving we do is away from any ship that places these noisemakers smack dab in the middle of the ship.

We've cruised three times with Princess, and didn't really take advantage of MUTS. I realize there is always a place on a Celebrity ship to put an outdoor screen, a climbing wall, zipline, etc, but to me that isn't the point. It is the Line setting an overall atmosphere, that is what attracts me to Celebrity. Other Lines have good dining, good service and so on. Although I may find Celebrity's service and dining to be better, it isn't hugely better (it is much better then a few Lines I won't mention). But I find Celebrity has set an atmosphere throughout that is what I'm looking for: adult low key, treats me like I can decide for myself - no hairy-chest contests, or endless congo lines, much less hardsell and so on.

So yes, there could be places for this, but then you'd have venues that wouldn't be in concert with the concept Celebrity has set. The pick-from-column-a/b/c is not my idea of crusing. Other Lines are very similar, not in the Celebrity approach, but in setting a tone for their Line, whether it is family oriented with talking mice running around and endless "It's a Small World" being played, or lots of music, games, group activities, drinking contests and so on for the party-till-you-drop tone, or a Line that has many physical activities and distractions, so you feel you are in a vacation resort and barely know you are at sea......

Thats why you'll find this thread unjustly putting down other Lines and so on....it's personal taste. When I want to try the MUTS, I'll try Princess. But I Did love the popcorn being handy!

Den

Edited by Denny01

While Celebrity is by far favorite cruise line, I fail to see what is wrong with MUTS. Princess ships, at least the Crown, Emerald, & Caribbean Princes have FOUR pools, only one of which has MUTS. One is an adults only pool aft, one in the Sanctuary, & the other is pretty much the same as the MUTS pool, but without the MUTS. What is the big deal?? It's easy to never experience MUTS, just use another pool! If MUTS doesn't apppeal to you, then you never have to be exposed to it, & you have 3 other pools to enjoy.

While Celebrity is by far favorite cruise line, I fail to see what is wrong with MUTS. Princess ships, at least the Crown, Emerald, & Caribbean Princes have FOUR pools, only one of which has MUTS. One is an adults only pool aft, one in the Sanctuary, & the other is pretty much the same as the MUTS pool, but without the MUTS. What is the big deal?? It's easy to never experience MUTS, just use another pool! If MUTS doesn't apppeal to you, then you never have to be exposed to it, & you have 3 other pools to enjoy.

As Denny1 mentions in the previous post to yours, it's the atmosphere that Celebrity has built into their ships that bring many of us back. An in-your-face feature like MUTS is not in keeping with that low-key, relaxing, up-scale ambiance that Celebrity is known for. Even having a jumbotron type screen at only one pool would take away from the elegance Celebrity ships are known for. If you want the MUTS experience, go to Princess.

Edited by boogs

I love it in the Caribbean if they have a good reggae band playing. It covers over the noise of people screaming around the pool and snoring nearby and makes the experience a lot more tropical. I can get silence around the pool in our backyard :) I don't have an iPod and I'd be scared to swim with it anyway.

Tom

Thank goodness --- we hated the music around the pool during the day. Why can't we be left in peace --- if people want music then they have their own ipods ....

Sorry if we sound miserable but the peae and quiet was why we went with Celebrity and found that the Solarium (no sun though) and our aft cabins were the best retreats for our peace and quiet.

:)

I've never been on a Princess ship with this facility, but they did have a big theater on the Oasis and we loved it. It wasn't near the public pools, but it was a lot of fun to sit there to eat and watch whatever they had going on and it made the aqua shows a lot easier to see.

If it is only at night and set up for people to watch movies "under the stars" I think that would be pretty cool too. We're mostly inside during the night, but that might be enough to get us to venture out. I think so long as they didn't play it so loud that they bothered people inside. Nothing like hearing the sound from a movie you can't see.

Tom

We're planning to cruise Celebrity for the first time and I was just wondering if they had a program similar to Princess with outdoor movies at night. TIA, Heather

As Denny1 mentions in the previous post to yours, it's the atmosphere that Celebrity has built into their ships that bring many of us back. An in-your-face feature like MUTS is not in keeping with that low-key, relaxing, up-scale ambiance that Celebrity is known for. Even having a jumbotron type screen at only one pool would take away from the elegance Celebrity ships are known for. If you want the MUTS experience, go to Princess.

So sorry for having a different opinion than you. :rolleyes:I apologize. Can I please stay with Celebrity if I promise to be good?

If you want the MUTS experience, go to Princess.

According to this list there are 42 ships on 10 different cruise lines that they can go to.... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise_ship_poolside_theater

I believe a couple of the Holland-America ships also now have a large video screen on the back pool deck. Bleh.

It would be nice if there was at least one main stream cruise line that didn't have this 18-hr a day blaring annoyance. :eek:

According to this list there are 42 ships on 10 different cruise lines that they can go to.... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise_ship_poolside_theater

I believe a couple of the Holland-America ships also now have a large video screen on the back pool deck. Bleh.

It would be nice if there was at least one main stream cruise line that didn't have this 18-hr a day blaring annoyance. :eek:

Welcome to the Cruise Line that does (or more correctly doesnt do) exactly what you want - Celebrity.

And to Richsea, you can only stay if you agree with all of my posts! enjoy your next cruises whatever Line any of us choose - even us Celebrity diehards who do go on other Lines.

Den

And to Richsea, you can only stay if you agree with all of my posts! enjoy your next cruises whatever Line any of us choose - even us Celebrity diehards who do go on other Lines.

Den

OK, I promise. And as it happens, we will be on a Princess ship in a week or so, even though I sometimes feel like a traitor when I stoop to a line with MUTS.:D

But no fear, I'm sure we'll be back to Celebrity on our next cruise!

We were on the 12 night cruise from Barcelona on the Solstice Sept 29 - Oct 11 and on at least a couple of occasions there WERE what they called "Poolside Moonlight Movies". I am looking at our Celebrity Today for October 6th and they had "Eat Pray Love" 8:30 pm / Poolside 12 weather permitting. I think I recall several evenings they were advertised so I would advise that you check with Celebrity and specifically for the cruise you are considering.

• 1 year later...

This is way tooooo funny - not having MUTS makes you superior and more elgant - absolutly too funny to even reply to but hey that's what these boards are for - right:).

The fact that jeans are allowed in the dining rooms on non formal nights on Celebrity must really FREAK some people out - how dare Celebrity stoop to a Wal-Mart class ship.

Like some of the others who have actually been on a ship with MUTS there are plenty of full service pools away from MUTS but let me tell you something :) it was totally awesome to watch the superbowl under the stars in the middle (well not exactly the middle) of the ocean. AND Titanic at night FUN - getting up at 4 AM to watch Prince William get married cool. Life's too short to care about MUTS let alone think it makes one superior not to have it. Really - you like MUTS fine - you don't like MUTS fine I don't think it makes one brand better or worse than another just different from each other. I mean that rock climing stuff was started by RCCL who owens Celebrity.

We went on a Princess ship last year and went to one of the movies (I think it was Mission Impossible). We cozy-ed up under blankets and watched the movie and had a really good time. They brought us popcorn, coffee, and cookies.

I can't imaging why some would be so adamantly against this idea. If you don't like it just go to bed.

I wouldn't want to have it going all day, but I thought it was a fun late evening activity when we did it on Princess. The sound was good, the movie was fun, and we had fun as a family watching.

I would think it would be fun to have these on some nights on Celebrity. Especially on S class ships where there really nothing going on up on the grass at night anyway.

Tom

This is way tooooo funny - not having MUTS makes you superior and more elgant - absolutly too funny to even reply to but hey that's what these boards are for - right:).

The fact that jeans are allowed in the dining rooms on non formal nights on Celebrity must really FREAK some people out - how dare Celebrity stoop to a Wal-Mart class ship.

Like some of the others who have actually been on a ship with MUTS there are plenty of full service pools away from MUTS but let me tell you something :) it was totally awesome to watch the superbowl under the stars in the middle (well not exactly the middle) of the ocean. AND Titanic at night FUN - getting up at 4 AM to watch Prince William get married cool. Life's too short to care about MUTS let alone think it makes one superior not to have it. Really - you like MUTS fine - you don't like MUTS fine I don't think it makes one brand better or worse than another just different from each other. I mean that rock climing stuff was started by RCCL who owens Celebrity.

Wow back. This thread died 5 months ago. Why did you need to resurrect it? You like MUTS, not everyone does. Don't cruise Celebrity as it doesn't exist.

More importantly, don't dis those who could care less about MUTS.

Edited by Oville

I would think it would be fun to have these on some nights on Celebrity. Especially on S class ships where there really nothing going on up on the grass at night anyway.

Tom

We were on the Solstice in October and on most nights there was a hot glass show in this area. If they were to also offer movies at the same time it would take away from the ambiance as you wouldn't be able to hear what was being said at the hot glass show.

We went on a Princess ship last year and went to one of the movies (I think it was Mission Impossible). We cozy-ed up under blankets and watched the movie and had a really good time. They brought us popcorn, coffee, and cookies.

I can't imaging why some would be so adamantly against this idea. If you don't like it just go to bed.

I wouldn't want to have it going all day, but I thought it was a fun late evening activity when we did it on Princess. The sound was good, the movie was fun, and we had fun as a family watching.

Tom

For some of us the objection is not the opportunity to cozy up and watch movies at night. That is fine and doesn't really bother non watchers. The problem is the use of screens and noise during daylight hours. Totally obnoxious for large numbers of folks who want to use the pool and other attractions in the area of the screens. I will never cruise Princess again.