Would you like Celebrity to return to Casual, Semi-Formal, and Formal Nights?

OneNewTexan

We liked it better on Celebrity when the dress code was categorized as Casual, Semi-Formal, and Formal. After Celebrity made the change around 2008-2009, the average dress of those onboard at dinner time went down. Everything at home is casual. We like to dress up on cruises and wish Celebrity would step it up a notch.

How do you feel? Are there others that share our opinion?

We don't care what they say. We dress the way we want. My husband brings his tux for formal nights, and he still brings a sports coat which he wears to coordinate with my fancier outfits, regardless that every night is supposed to be the same. We have the clothes, why not wear them? I love getting dressed up, he doesn't mind.

So I guess my answer is yes, we liked it better when dressing up was an expectation, but no one is stopping your from doing it anyway if it's what you like to do.

We are willing to do either. If you like casual, semi-formal and formal evenings, you should try a Cunard cruise. Last Xmas holiday cruise on the Queen Mary 2 (15 nights), we had six formal, five semi-formal, and four casual nights.

It was great!:)

Kel

I like to dress up personally (I wear mostly suits for work but not much call for cocktail dresses in the library!!). I really liked that on our Summit cruise last year, most were dressed somewhere between smart casual and formal each night. Seems wrong for the waitstaff to be dressed better than the clientele...just my opinion. My biggest pet peeve, however, is baseball hats in any sit-down restaurant. At least if someone is wearing jeans, I don't have to look at them!!

personally - i think X is the best bang for the cruise buck or i wouldn't put up with the formal non-sense.... I'd go Azamara or Oceania.... but since i have three kids to put through college, I'll opt for the specialty restaurants to avoid formal dress.... Go casual!!!!

We much prefer the three categories even if it means packing an extra bag. We would never NOT take a cruise for a price difference of $150.00 so we just feel that a luggage fee is part of the cost of the cruise. I also think it's kind of strange that one can dine in a venue such as Murano (which I feel is more formal than the MDR) wearing Smart Casual on nights when it is Formal in the MDR. If a suit or a tux is uncomfortable then perhaps it does not fit properly.

Smart casual all the time=easy packing for me. We did a Regent cruise last May with an all-smart casual dress code. Heaven! On the Millie in September, we resorted to renting a tux for DH to avoid packing jacket, slacks, and dress shoes. I took evening pants and one formal top. Total= one suitcase between us. On the Silhouette next May, we are shipping our one suitcase ahead to our Venice hotel so we can travel through France for 5 days with just 2 wheeled carry-ons, my oversized purse, and our multi-pocket travel jackets.

I think we're unusual, though. If it weren't for the airline "liquid" restrictions for carry-ons and the need for very dressy clothes, we could do a 10 day cruise with just the luggage we are taking to France (and follow the dress code nicely). We would have to do laundry onboard, but for us, it would be worth it to just get off the plane, be first through customs, and just walk out of the airport into busses, subways, taxis, etc. without hassle. Sign me up for light packing and smart casual dressing :-)

We don't care what they say. We dress the way we want. My husband brings his tux for formal nights, and he still brings a sports coat which he wears to coordinate with my fancier outfits, regardless that every night is supposed to be the same. We have the clothes, why not wear them? I love getting dressed up, he doesn't mind.

So I guess my answer is yes, we liked it better when dressing up was an expectation, but no one is stopping your from doing it anyway if it's what you like to do.

We just came back from a 12 day Cunard Cruise on the Queen Victoria. A jacket is required every night, their idea of casual is a jacket no tie which is only okay on the first and last night of a cruise. The other 10 nights were either informal or formal. We enjoyed the cruise and atmosphere so much we booked two cruises this year on the QV. We did a 16 day TA in the spring.

We are booked on the Eciplse in March. Did not realize Celebrity dress code has changed. We last cruised in 2009. We like to dress and will take both formal, informal and smart casual when we do our next cruise.

We will dress up to please ourselves, after all it is our vacation. I suspect cruise lines are complying to limits on luggage set by airlines. It is tougher to take the clothes with luggage limits these days. We pay extra but not everyone wants to do so.

We liked it better on Celebrity when the dress code was categorized as Casual, Semi-Formal, and Formal. After Celebrity made the change around 2008-2009, the average dress of those onboard at dinner time went down. Everything at home is casual. We like to dress up on cruises and wish Celebrity would step it up a notch.

How do you feel? Are there others that share our opinion?

We are with you completely on this except I never particularly liked the "Casual" nights as I found it hard to understand how to dress. We now take consolation in the "... and above" part of "Smart Casual and above" and dress accordingly - black tie for formal nights and cocktail dress/lounge suit for smart casual and above night.

The opportunity to dress up was the main reason we took our first cruise and, although we now know that there are other reasons to cruise, we have been disappointed with the decline in the ambiance that has come with the decline in the dress code.

Smart casual all the time on Azamara does not reduce our packing because my husband insists on taking an extras suit in place of his DJ and dress trousers and many of my coctail dresses can weigh as much as my formal gowns.

Sue

Smart casual all the time=easy packing for me. We did a Regent cruise last May with an all-smart casual dress code. Heaven! On the Millie in September, we resorted to renting a tux for DH to avoid packing jacket, slacks, and dress shoes. I took evening pants and one formal top. Total= one suitcase between us. On the Silhouette next May, we are shipping our one suitcase ahead to our Venice hotel so we can travel through France for 5 days with just 2 wheeled carry-ons, my oversized purse, and our multi-pocket travel jackets.

I think we're unusual, though. If it weren't for the airline "liquid" restrictions for carry-ons and the need for very dressy clothes, we could do a 10 day cruise with just the luggage we are taking to France (and follow the dress code nicely). We would have to do laundry onboard, but for us, it would be worth it to just get off the plane, be first through customs, and just walk out of the airport into busses, subways, taxis, etc. without hassle. Sign me up for light packing and smart casual dressing :-)

Us also.

The freedom of travelling light opens up a whole new world of independent land travel bookending cruises.

Archived