A Reluctant Cruiser...

sarafinadh

July 13th 2012, Alaska Northbound inland cruise on the Celebrity Millennium. Family trip celebrating my In Law's 50th.

I am really struggling here. I am going on an Alaskan cruise next July. With an extended family group. For a week. And it sounds like torture to me. And everyone here sounds so happy about cruising.

I have a horrible attitude, I know, but when I think "Cruising" it sounds like a combination of Las Vegas, a Huge Shopping Mall, Chain Restaurants and a Big Hotel. All of which I avoid at all costs.

I love to travel, and my husband, college aged daughter and I have been on wonderful trips, all over the world. We stay in small apartments in residential neighbourhoods and walk and eat and explore endlessly and can happily amuse ourselves for days or weeks at a time. But we do not do the typical sightseeing, or the common venues. We don't have a schedule or even reservations except for lodgings. We don't "vacation", we travel.

A cruise sounds as if it is all about vacationing and very little about traveling. Like a sea based version of "If it's Tuesday it must be Belgium" with mad morning dashes off the ship thru crowded gangways and rushed afternoon returns trying to make it back by sailing time.

I have been reading all the interesting posts here and have read thru all the material I can find from the Celebrity site so I feel that I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I know that the ship will be just out of dry dock and very fresh, which I will appreciate very much.

We don't have a problem with dressing for dinner, The Spouse looks very handsome in his dinner clothes and my Daughter loves to dress up on occasion, as do I.

We are in our 40's and our daughter is 18, but we are happy mixing with all age groups and have no reservation on that count.

I am an avid sailor and can deal with seasickness, Love my patch, and ginger candies, and I'll have one for the Spouse as well since he succumbs very easily to mal de mere and for our daughter just in case.

I think that reserving the excursions ahead of time will be necessary. I plan on not using the cruiseline's trips, but instead using local businesses. I feel pretty stressed about figuring out ahead of time what all we should do, but the information on the Alaska board has me started in the right direction.

But what will I do on the boat? Hanging out in bars has no appeal to me. Not interested in karaoke, listening or doing. Not interested in reviews and shows of questionable quality. Folding napkins and towel animals is just not going to do it for me. We are foodies and from what I can tell the food will be (hopefully)acceptable but nothing that will excite us, The food service gets such mixed reviews and I confess that in this area we are as bad as any San Franciscan... I HATE cold weather so outdoor viewing of the passing scenery isn't very attractive to me either. Seen one tree, seen 'em all...

I guess I can just suck it up and hang out in the stateroom reading between ports.

I sound like such a snob, I know, but I am not, really, I just don't care for group activities and events. I feel I will have very little in common with most of the other passengers. And I know exactly what people will think of some wet blanket who is unexcited when everyone else is having a grand time.

My poor inlaws think they are doing such a Lovely Thing for us and have no ide that we have discussed endlessly how to divert them to anything other than this plan. The only other option was Arizona for spring training and lucky for me the other families wouldn't take their children out of school for a trip. Arizona? Baseball? That makes even a Cruise look better ; -)

I am not even sure what I am hoping for here... maybe advice from others, who cruise reluctantly, and how they stay happy for their companions sake?

Tips on what I might be able to do on board that are not readily apparent?

Suggestions on avoiding the worst of the herd mentality? I already get about trying to time your boarding and disembarking to avoid the crowds...

Dosages for mood altering drugs that will let me at least appear to be enjoying myself?

Assurance that once aboard I will discover that the cruise IS fun?

If so many of you love it there must be something to it I am missing. I don't want to spend 8 months (and my In-Law's investment) dreading a trip.

And what does your signature line say in your profile?

...ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...

Take your own advice to heart.

I think a lot of your concerns will come to nothing. Alaska is not particularly cold in July, and you may certainly find that it's warmer than San Francisco. You don't have to participate in any group activites; you can always find a quiet place to sit outside and read, while enjoying the scenery.

You certainly could give the gift to your inlaws of actually trying to enjoy this celebration. It can't be that hard, can it? They are doing a lovely thing for the family.

Stop worrying about it, plan your shore excursions and have a good time. No vacation is perfect, but no need to plan for failure. It's all in the attitude.

Edited by 6rugrats

You seem to have come up with a list of reasons you will not be happy on a cruise. Without a doubt if you try hard you can be miserable. Instead of concentrating on the negative, look for positives.

You will have days in port. What do you want to do pn those days? Figure it out and then find a way to do it. It may be on your own and involve walking ro a taxi or bus. It may require a tour guide and transportation. Find it. You may want to look at the ship tours. Not just to take, but for ideas.

You will have sea days. What do you want to do? The ship provides a variety of activities. You will get a schedule every evening for the next day. You go to ones you want and skip those you don't. If you are not joining a ship activity, you will have to find something to entertain yourself.

Cruising, like anything, is what YOU make of it. I thought I would detest Vegas...didn't want to go at all, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

Cruising may be the same for you....and you won't know til you try. There's plenty to do, even if you don't join in the activities (we don't, either!).

Cruising isn't "travel" in the real sense of the word. It's a vacation, and you will get the bonus of a taste of different places. Think vacation...not travel!

There really are no "herds" on the ship, except when the show lets out (just like anywhere!) and if you feel you must be on the 1st tender (at tendered ports). Otherwise, you'll never realize how many others are on the ship with you.

Relax, and try to do the things you enjoy on a vacation.

I sound like such a snob, I know, but I am not, really, I just don't care for group activities and events. I feel I will have very little in common with most of the other passengers. And I know exactly what people will think of some wet blanket who is unexcited when everyone else is having a grand time.

Believe me when I say, my DH and I are NOT "joiners" :) and we still manage to have lovely times on our cruises. Not sure why you think you'll have nothing in common with other pax -- there is a wide cross-section of people who cruise. Once you start talking to some of them, you may be surprised :)

Suggestions on avoiding the worst of the herd mentality? I already get about trying to time your boarding and disembarking to avoid the crowds...

Dosages for mood altering drugs that will let me at least appear to be enjoying myself?

Assurance that once aboard I will discover that the cruise IS fun?

If so many of you love it there must be something to it I am missing. I don't want to spend 8 months (and my In-Law's investment) dreading a trip.

There is something about cruising that soothes one's shattered soul :) and calms one's worries. And allows one to enjoy things you never thought you WOULD enjoy.

I gotta say -- Alaska itself is fabulous, despite your "seen one tree, seen 'em all" take on it right now :) Seeing whales, dolphins, eagles, in the wild, where they belong -- nothing like it.

As to avoid the herd, do things at "off" hours. Get up EARLY, grab a coffee and enjoy being outside. Find someplace that others haven't and use that as your place to be.

Going back to my DH, he'd never cruised, and had ZERO desire to cruise, until one day he said "okay, book us a cruise to Alaska". I was SHOCKED, and pleased. A couple of days after boarding, we went back to the cabin, and he threw himself on the bed with a HUGE grin on his face, and said "This is the PERFECT way to vacation".

Even on a cruise, you can choose to be a tourist or a traveller ;) Get away from the dock, avoid the jewelry shops, and find some funky stuff like the Totem Heritage Center in Ketchikan to enjoy. Talk to people in coffee shops. If you see locals sitting around, chat with them. Ask about their lives. Do some research, find something about Alaska that DOES excite you and go prepared for an amazing time.

Sounds to me from your description of what you like that you are taking the wrong kind of cruise. Cruising, like land holidays, can come in all shapes, sizes and experiences. You sound like a small-ship adventure type cruiser. Alaska has those, and the experience would be very different from the big mass market cruises. There are also many destinations that lend themselves to adventure-style cruising -- Galapagos, Antartica, Norway, New Zealand -- in addition to Alaska. There are also medium and small ship cultural cruises that offer indepth educational and experiential type trips.

So please put this cruise experience in perpsective. I hope you enjoy it for what it is. But please don't paint the entire cruise industry based on one style of cruise line or destination, any more than you would a hotel stay. And PS, there is a lot to like about a Celebrity cruise to Alaska if you shape the experience around what matters most to you.

I agree with the previous posters. I'd like to think that you'll end up finding out that cruising is not only "not that bad," but is actually enjoyable. However, some people just don't like it, that's all there is to it. But you are almost guaranteed not to like it if you go into it absolutely dreading it.

My husband was not all that keen on cruising, but he gave it a shot for me last year. We both enjoyed it so much that we booked our second cruise while we were still on the ship. We aren't terribly social, but we found that you can be as social as you like or you can easily skip all the things you don't like. There were plenty of things to do, just the two of us. It depends on the ship and cruiseline of course, but there may be some cooking classes, various tastings and things like that, which you may enjoy.

I do hope that you all end up enjoying it. It would be a shame for such a lovely gift to basically be a waste or just tolerated.

Happy Sailing!

Bring a board game to play with the family in your quiet time. You can find a quiet area to set up and have a few laughs.

I understand what you mean about the "trees". I grew up in Vancouver and just laughed at my co-workers when they said "wasn't the trip up to Alaska beautiful". I asked them if they had ever taken the ferry over to Vancouver Island and ate on the way. Same thing sailing up the BC coast looking out the window. A tree is a tree.

That said, you have the glaciers in Alaska. They are amazing. I would highly recommend you take a helicopter trip that lands on top of one. Of all the shore excursions we have ever done that is in the top 5 for experiences.

The shops in Alaska are like "small town USA" shops. Nothing to write home about but they have different souvenirs. A quick look couldn't hurt.

Look for things that aren't the same - like the Lumberjack Show. Fun to watch. Or, like others have said, just walk around and check out the locals. You say you do that on other trips, this is no different.

My brother lived in Alaska for a few years and yet still took the Alaska cruise when the extended family went. His thoughts were - it's about family, not the destination.

Instead of concentrating on the negative, look for positives.

you will have to find something to entertain yourself.

And what does your signature line say in your profile?

Take your own advice to heart.

That is actually why I am here on the forum, trying to find out how best to plan the shore days and how best to get thru the sea days. We are good at entertaining ourselves and plan on bringing a supply of books. I enjoy journaling on trips and will bring along my art supplies for that.

I will be exploring the restaurant options in the ports in hopes of finding some great places for lunches, in addition to things to see and do. The dog mushing sounds as if it has possibilities, I have always been fascinated by them. Our daughter wants to see whales, dolphins and otters so we will try to find a good boat trip for that.

I am sincere in my dislike of cold however. I could have much more easily wrapped my brain around a southerly cruise to warm water and diving opportunities. If it's below 70 I will want an indoor location. My Spouse and daughter are happily, much hardier and will be fine in the cool. I am taking my foulies for the outdoor excursions.

Cruising isn't "travel" in the real sense of the word. It's a vacation, and you will get the bonus of a taste of different places. Think vacation...not travel!

Relax, and try to do the things you enjoy on a vacation.

Ok, no laughing at me, but truly, I have never taken, as an adult, what I would call a vacation. As a girl I had plenty of opportunity to experience spas, resorts and Las Vegas, vacation style. It's just not something that appeals to me. All of our trips are to somewhere to do or see or try something. I am sort of trying to envision just viewing the cruise as days to relax and do nothing. That's hard for me to do.

But you are almost guaranteed not to like it if you go into it absolutely dreading it.

I do hope that you all end up enjoying it. It would be a shame for such a lovely gift to basically be a waste or just tolerated.

Happy Sailing!

I know that you are right. I expect that with a bit of time I will be better able to feel calmer about the trip. Right now, after having read the email with the travel arrangements and the pre tour in Vancouver I am struggling to not weep it sounds so stressful.

Sounds to me from your description of what you like that you are taking the wrong kind of cruise.

And PS, there is a lot to like about a Celebrity cruise to Alaska if you shape the experience around what matters most to you.

Amen Brother... We actually suggested that one of the little ships would be fun, but that was shot down. Far more demanding members of the family refused because they would be bored with nothing for their kids to do on a smaller ship... no shopping was one of the complaints I remember...

We are actually being the good kids on this one and just agreeing to what ever the folks plan. It's their anniversary and their show.

If I were planning an Alaska trip it would be a train trip to Vancouver and across to Lake Louise before hand and then one of the 100 passenger cruises up to Alaska and then a week in Alaska out in the back country.

I am hoping that with help from experience people like you to do just that with this trip, shape it so we can enjoy it for what it is.

Not sure why you think you'll have nothing in common with other pax -- there is a wide cross-section of people who cruise. :)

There is something about cruising that soothes one's shattered soul :) and calms one's worries. And allows one to enjoy things you never thought you WOULD enjoy.

I gotta say -- Alaska itself is fabulous, despite your "seen one tree, seen 'em all" take on it right now :) Seeing whales, dolphins, eagles, in the wild, where they belong -- nothing like it.

As to avoid the herd, do things at "off" hours. Get up EARLY, grab a coffee and enjoy being outside. Find someplace that others haven't and use that as your place to be.

Get away from the dock, avoid the jewelry shops, and find some funky stuff like the Totem Heritage Center in Ketchikan to enjoy. Talk to people in coffee shops. If you see locals sitting around, chat with them. Ask about their lives. Do some research, find something about Alaska that DOES excite you and go prepared for an amazing time.

I guess I figured that people who thought taking a cruise was cool would not have much in common with people who don't so much. Maybe that's superficial and the cruising is more incidental than I thought. I will say that my reading here over the last day or so has cheered me on occasion. There are plenty of interesting folk here who love to cruise.

Your description of cruising as soothing is so far from what I imagine I can't even, well, imagine! What is it you find relaxing? We all have shattered nerves that need tending ; -)

The Spouse laughs at my one tree one mountain mentality. I will enjoy the wildlife, birding if that is a happening thing where we will be, and seeing wildlife. I am a bit unsure of how much time we will have realistically, given the plans;

We will also take a pre-cruise tour package from Celebrity in the Vancouver area, including a day trip to Whistler Mtn.

The day when we will all be flying to get to Vancouver is Tuesday, July 10. Happy Birthday, Matt!

More details will follow, but here's a quick summary of the pre-cruise tour part:

Sea to Sky Pre-Cruise Adventure Package Includes:

Hotel Room And Tax, Meet & Greet, Transfers, And Tours

3 night accommodations at:

Ramada Inn & Suites

1221 Grandville Street

Vancouver, BC V6Z1M6O

Tour Includes:

Vancouver Attractions City Passport and Discount Book

2 Day Gray Line Double Decker Attract Loop Tour

Gray Line Mountains and Vistas Tour (Grouse Mountain, Skyride, Theatre in the Sky and Refuge for Endangered Wildlife - Admission Included)

Capilano Suspension Bridge and Treetops Adventure - Admission Included

Capilano Fish Hatchery

Lions Gate Bridge Full Tour Commentary

Gray Line Whistler Resort Coach Tour Including Scenic Return

Motorcoach Tour to Whistler from Vancouver

4 Hours of Free Time in Whistler to Explore Village Attractions

Whistler Gondola Ride - Admission Included

Stop at Shannon Falls - Fully Commentated

All Transfers To/From All Hotels/Resorts

All Airport, hotel, povincial and federal taxes

Day 1-

Meet on Arrival at Vancouver Airport

City Passport, Visitor's Guide and Discount Book, Transfer to Ramada Inn & Suites for 3 nights stay

2 day Hop on / Hop off Buss Pass

Rest of the day at your Leisure

Day 2 -

Pick up at your hotel for the Mountains and Vistas Tour of Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain Skyride for spectacular scenery (admission included). Rest of the day at your leisure.

Day 3 -

Pick up at your hotel for all day Bus Tour to Whistler Resort (location of the 2010 Winter Olympics). Rest of the day at your leisure.

Day 4 -

Transfer from hotel to cruise ship terminal.

Arrives in Seward, AK, on July 20. When we debark there, we'll take a train ride of about two hours to Anchorage to get on planes to return home.

We will only have the port calls in Alaska. Some of the interesting things to do call for more time than that I think. I am going to have to sort that out over on the Alaska board.

Are there places on these big ships that won't always have people around. Outside really prolly will not be an option, but indoors? quiet? comfortable? I was figuring if you didn't want to be pool side or in the bars or resturants there was only your stateroom.

I had to chuckle at your final suggestion; The Totem Heritage Center in Ketchikan

It's already on my list! Along with the Denali Eileson visitor center.

I really appreciate the time you all have taken to advise. Thanks.

Well, I could have written this exact 'dreading' feeling. I HATED mass type cruising and dreaded going both times. And, both times, when standing on the deck, looking at the shore line thinking to yourself, "I think I can swim that distance"...well, yah, certified hater of cruisers.

(But then i went high end (Silversea) and it was a whole different ballgame, but I'm not here to discuss this because you're not going high end.)

In a nut shell, you will likely hate the cruise and you will likely have your skin crawl with all the shenanigans and crowds. With that said...it is your in laws 50th anniversary. Do it for them. Don't think of it as a vacation for you, because it wont be. Put on your smiley face, suck it up and do what everyone wants you to. It's only 7 days and the joy that it will bring to your inlaws in their (advanced) years will be worth the sacrifice you make.

Take the time on the ship to research your next LAND vacation (or another cruise, high end, which I promise you, will be a totally different experience), learn another language, enjoy time with your family. Just accept that it will be 7 days of 'not your cup of tea' but also know that you are making 2 people really really happy.

I'd sign off saying, "have a good trip" but I know you wont. How can you...so I'll say, "good for you for making the 50th anniversary an event for them to remember". Enjoy your NEXT trip!

A

>SNIP<

The shops in Alaska are like "small town USA" shops. Nothing to write home about but they have different souvenirs. A quick look couldn't hurt.

Look for things that aren't the same - like the Lumberjack Show. Fun to watch. Or, like others have said, just walk around and check out the locals. You say you do that on other trips, this is no different.

If your cruise takes you to Skagway, do your best to go to the hardware store. It's great, and very "small town" -- a little of this, a little of that.

As for talking to the locals, one of my BEST memories from one of my Alaska cruises is the time I spent talking to my Tsimshian (sp?) guide at the Totem Heritage Center. She was very open and we found a lot to talk about, beyond the totems ;)

I am also a traveller (mostly in Europe), and was reluctant to try a cruise. I loved it!

There are always quiet areas, with few people on a ship. Indoors and outdoors. The stars from deck are wonderful, as there is no light pollution! Booking private excursions will be good. Explore the ports here in the Ports of Call area. Just keep reading, and the best tour operators will become apparent.

I don't shop, and was questioned last time that I had written $10 on my Customs Form, for how much I had spent. I just told the customs man "I don't need more stuff", and he gave me a big smile, agreeing with me.

I usually avoid crowds on a ship, and it is easy to do. Bring an ipod, and use the walking track outside, or the gym inside.

Have fun!

Do you have a camera? Do you have a laptop?

Think about taking pictures of everything. The ship, your family, the sights.

I take tons of pix. Download them to my laptop. Put together slide shows.

Did a review, posted it here (in my sig).

The ships are so amazing. You should find everything about the ship magnificent in so many ways. We had great shows and entertainment. Casino, trivia contests, dining, or just wandering around and getting lost or getting away from everyone and everything.

Want to hang in the cabin, order room service.

And the ultimate joy is being with people you love and participating in the great times ........ with memories that will last a lifetime. Take pictures.

I have been literally all over the world on cruise ships. For me, and for many others, it's the only way to experience the entire world in a safe, concise manner. I've done land trips of 30 days and more in places like Asia and Australia, but for me, cruising has been a great way to experience different cultures and ways of life.

First, if you're a foodie, IMHO Celebrity has the best food of any of the mass market lines---I've been on more than 25 Celebrity cruises and 65 cruises overall. Here's a suggestion, bite the bullet and dine every night in one of the specialty restaurants. I've cruised on the big four of luxury lines, and I've found that the dining experience in Celebrity Millennium's Olympic Restaurant, rivals the likes of Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal.

I guess you really have no idea how huge cruise ships are. If you want a quiet place to be, there are many places tucked here and there. For reading, I suggest Cosmos, on the Resort Deck. It's a night club at night, but during the day, it's a wonderful place to read and watch the scenery. It has floor to ceiling windows, comfortable chairs and is a really nice place to be. I suggest taking the time to walk around the ship and find the nice places, outside of the pool area, for your quiet times. Also, most of the public lounges are very deserted during the day and can be a nice place to sit and read.

As for the sea days, chill out, with all due respect. It's NOT going to be that bad !!!! I mean, I can think of a lot of things that I wouldn't want to do in life and cruising is not one of them. Just the scenery alone is spectacular. And, believe me, you're not going to be sloshing through snow in July. The three times I've been to Alaska, the temps were near 80 degrees. Just don't sequester yourself in your cabin, pouting about not wanting to be there, and just try and enjoy yourself. Do you like wine? Celebrity has great wine tasting events---at least 3 a cruise. Do you dance? There's dancing every night. Do you like music? There are different music venues all evening. I take it you don't like things like trivia. That's too bad because it could be a fun, family activity.

As far as shore excursions are concerned, you can do things like kayak, mountain biking, dog sledding (not on snow but on dry land), hiking, whale watching, eco tours, helicopter tours and many other activities that might not allow you to get bored. You seem concerned about time restrictions on the tours. You're in a port usually from around 8am until 5 or 6pm. That's really a lot of time for shore tours. It's not like you're going to be in the Med where 8 hours is enough time to see Rome or Athens. These are small towns and a few hours is really enough time to see the best things.

But I must say, if you've already convinced yourself that you're going to hate it, that the other passengers won't be up to your personal standards, that you're going to be miserable, you probably will. The mind has a weird way of making things happen if you think they WILL happen. So, I guess since you seem so totally convinced that you're going to hate cruising, maybe everyone is wasting their time trying to convince you that you'll have a great time. After all, cruising isn't for everyone.

Edited by kitty9

I would start to read about Alaska including the ports of call you will visit. You can do so on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

One of the Captain's we sail with often often say "If you want to have a good time you will and if you don't you won't."

My advice is to make the most of this opportunity and approach it in a positive manner. After all, if you do this, it might turn out that you have a wonderful time. I hope you do.

Keith

But I must say, if you've already convinced yourself that you're going to hate it, that the other passengers won't be up to your personal standards, that you're going to be miserable, you probably will. The mind has a weird way of making things happen if you think they WILL happen.

Exactly; attitude follows behavior, behavior follows attitude.

Edited by 6rugrats

All of us went on a first cruise sometime. I think it is safe to say we all had some reservations before it. For most of the people here, the pluses way out weighed the negatives. Sure, cruising is not perfect. There are drawbacks.

To me the biggest drawback is the short time in ports. We overcome that a little by planning cruises that start and/or end in or near places we want to spend more time in. We leave several days early or stay several extra days.

We plan long in advance. We take three trips a year. We finished booking 2012 trips and the first 2013 trip about June 1. This gives us lots of time to plan our pre cruise time and to find private tours.

There are always quiet places on the ship during the day. There will be at lease four lounges/bars that are underutilized before evening. You can always find a quiet place to read or do needlework. On a couple of my last cruises, there was an informal gathering of needleworkers in the morning, where we brought our own projects and worked on them while sharing ideas. In one of the bar/lounges. My sister could always find a place to hide away with her Kindle. There will probably be a naturalist onboard to talk about Alaska, and point out where there is wildlife. On my Princess cruises in Alaska, he spent a lot of time on the bridge, and would come on the intercom to point out whales, eagles, bears...otters. Don't discount the shows until you have seen them. I love them, even if some are better than others. There is a two level library on Millie, which is always a quiet place. EM

You mention you like journaling and art. If you also like to take pictures you can make yourself the unofficial photographer for the family trip.

Since it is a trip for your in-laws 50th anniversary, and it sounds like a large group of family members will be attending, if you focus on taking pictures of the family throughout the trip then you can put together a 50th anniversary photo album or scrapbook for your in-laws after the cruise is over as a surprise. I'm sure they would probably adore it.

Plus, you would be doing something that you mentioned that you enjoy instead of stressing over being forced to do something you don't enjoy. I bet if you focused on doing something that you enjoy, even in the middle of a 7 day trip you may not enjoy you would have a relatively good time. It may not be the best 7 day trip of your life, but hopefully it won't be miserable.

Obviously, if you don't like creating photo albums or scrap books as part of your journaling and art then this idea isn't any good, but hopefully there is something else that you can focus on.

Most people do feel good when they are doing something that they know will make other people feel good---it's kind of like buying Christmas presents. I find much more joy in giving the gifts then in getting them.

Edited by BigZfan

:rolleyes: I would do as others suggest and use it to plan "your type" of vacation for later. THAT SAID, I really hope that you do not have to "suck it up" but find ways to enjoy what could be a very pleasant surprise. ;) If being/ getting cold is a concern for you, check out thin layering clothes. You really do not have to be cold. They make remarkable pieces that will keep you quite toasty!

It has taken us 40 years of being married to take a cruise--like you to Alaska next year but on Princess. We wanted to sail the Inside Passage and see the glaciers but could not afford a smaller National Geographic-like adventure. Like you I had lots of negative perceptions mostly about life on-board. I have read, researched, chatted with wonderful folks on the roll call and am having a blast making this into the type of trip that I want it to be. Our usual travels are like yours and this will be different! The advanced planning of excursions is something I have never done before but is essential with limited time in a location. I have scheduled with independent companies so smaller groups of folks --that has been a huge stress reliever for me. I have researched our ship and know where the best viewing places are. On sea days I plan to indulge myself and ignore anything that will interfere with my enjoyment while being considerate of others. I am collecting books that I need time to enjoy. I live in southern NM but grew up in the UK so I am collecting layers in case it is chilly for part of the day. Our land trip is unique to us and the way we like to travel. I cannot wait to explore the parts of Alaska that we will visit by land or by sea. Somewhere on CC is a thread regarding books to read before a cruise--fact and fiction--maybe that would be a place to begin your change of focus to Alaska instead of your worries.

Edited by Alaskanb

OP, you said:

I guess I figured that people who thought taking a cruise was cool would not have much in common with people who don't so much. Maybe that's superficial and the cruising is more incidental than I thought. I will say that my reading here over the last day or so has cheered me on occasion. There are plenty of interesting folk here who love to cruise.

Your description of cruising as soothing is so far from what I imagine I can't even, well, imagine! What is it you find relaxing? We all have shattered nerves that need tending ; -)

Yes, I think you are being superficial by thinking that anyone who likes to cruise cannot have anything in common with you. I hope your onboard experiences and interactions change your perceptions. We've met people who have trekked all over South America, people who have spent 1000s of days cruising, heard fabulous stories of times spent in Egypt, met university professors and scientific researchers and fishermen and hotel workers and newly-married newspaper editors and rock musicians and a pair of ladies from Mexico City whose bucket-list included seeing blue ice, and spent delightful times with all of them. Not gonna marry any of them, or invite them for dinner necessarily, but nonetheless have spent enjoyable time in conversation with them.

As for what I find so soothing? Hmmmm, stepping out onto the Promenade Deck at 6 am, the sun is rising, and there's a humpback blowing a spray that hangs in the air like a cartoon caption balloon. The no-need-to-be-anywhere that settles in onboard after the first day. Having a glass of wine in my cabin as DH and I get ready for dinner. The simple pleasure of being the first one out on the aft deck, drinking my coffee and seeing whales. Taking pictures of everything. Watching the ravens perch on the rails as we approach a port. Chatting briefly with people I'd never encounter in my "real life". Showering with the wonderful bathroom amenities HAL provides, and feeling the shower floor moving ever so gently. The look of the cabin when we return, with soft lighting and the bed turned down. Little things, that added all together, are soothing.

Alaska is amazing. It has touched my soul in ways I cannot describe. It helped me change my life. It keeps calling me back. I can't get enough of it, the people, the land, the ports. I hope you find something on your cruise that touches you, too :)

I found I could spend unlimited time just standing at the rail, listening to the sound of the water against the hull. If you head to the rear of the ship, you will have protection from the wind, and there's nothing quite like just watching the wake trail along behind the ship.

I've always lived in the Pacific Northwest, we've got lots of mountains & trees around here, but the scenery in Alaska is beyond words. If your port calls include Juneau (and most cruises do), there is great whale watching there.

Temperatures in July, as others have said, shouldn't be too cold. I was there in May, and we had 75 degree temps in Juneau.

Enjoy the trip & spending a special time with your family.

Edited by Sandi3667
Hit 'enter' too soon