Free Email

raz455

This has been posted before but from the emptyness of both the Internet Cafe' and Future Cruise area I saw on our recent cruise on the Crown, I thought of reminding cruisers of a nice way to send information to landlocked family and friends. It is called an e-postcard and is completely free! I sent them from both my iPad and laptop (in my room using the ship's wifi) as well as from the ship's computers in both of the above mentioned areas. I sent updates on the weather, the condition of the sick ship, as well as flight information to our son who lovingly agreed to pick us up from the aiport. While you can't get replies to your postcards, it is still a nice way for Princess to let us communicate (ok, and also do a little bit of bragging about being in the warm Caribbean while they dealt with freezing weather and rain/snow).

We usually spent a half hour on the computer before retiring to our cabin for the night. There were always plenty of available stations and lots of sanatizing wipes to clean off the keyboard and mouse.

Of course, in both of the ports we visited there were free wifi places, so if one needs to communicate in a more normal fashion, those places make it possible. Just ask any crew member where they are!

Happy cruising to all -

raz455

The ecards are a lifesaver! When the internet cafe is at a standstill and people are up in arms in there, we head to the future cruise sales computers and send out ecards. While in the Baltics/British Isles this September we had virtually no internet. So everyone appreciated the ecards and we got the message out at no cost to us. Besides, they're cute! :)

The ecards are a lifesaver! When the internet cafe is at a standstill and people are up in arms in there, we head to the future cruise sales computers and send out ecards. While in the Baltics/British Isles this September we had virtually no internet. So everyone appreciated the ecards and we got the message out at no cost to us. Besides, they're cute! :)

I dont understand this does this mean you can send outside the ship on the FREE Princess site? even when the internet is down (obviously it goes in a queue) Is this the site where without using your minutes you can investigate future cruises etc?

I dont understand this does this mean you can send outside the ship on the FREE Princess site? even when the internet is down (obviously it goes in a queue) Is this the site where without using your minutes you can investigate future cruises etc?

Yes, the free postcards are on the free Princess site. You don't log in at all and you are not using your minutes.

I agree with using the free post cards, they are cute and the folks I have sent them to thought so too. Only thing to remember when using these....unless I am wrong, is you have to know the email address of those you are sending too. I am very spoiled with just typing in the first couple of letters and the computer "knows" who I am sending email to.

This has been posted before but from the emptyness of both the Internet Cafe' and Future Cruise area I saw on our recent cruise on the Crown, I thought of reminding cruisers of a nice way to send information to landlocked family and friends. It is called an e-postcard and is completely free! I sent them from both my iPad and laptop (in my room using the ship's wifi) as well as from the ship's computers in both of the above mentioned areas. I sent updates on the weather, the condition of the sick ship, as well as flight information to our son who lovingly agreed to pick us up from the aiport. While you can't get replies to your postcards, it is still a nice way for Princess to let us communicate (ok, and also do a little bit of bragging about being in the warm Caribbean while they dealt with freezing weather and rain/snow).

We usually spent a half hour on the computer before retiring to our cabin for the night. There were always plenty of available stations and lots of sanatizing wipes to clean off the keyboard and mouse.

Of course, in both of the ports we visited there were free wifi places, so if one needs to communicate in a more normal fashion, those places make it possible. Just ask any crew member where they are!

Happy cruising to all -

raz455

What a great idea! Do the e-post cards go to individuals? Is there a limit on how many you can send at a time? Can they be sent to FB, so you can "catch" a bunch of your friends at once?

OK, so how do we access these cards on our lap top? Or do we have to use the ships computer.

I may be wrong but as I recall on the ship's sign-in page from my netbook using WiFi there was the option to go the free Princess site & the e-cards without signing in & using paid minutes but not positive.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I may be wrong but as I recall on the ship's sign-in page from my netbook using WiFi there was the option to go the free Princess site & the e-cards without signing in & using paid minutes but not positive.
On the log-in page, in the upper right is a box, "Free Zone." There are several links in this box, one of which is Princess.com. When you click on any of the links in this box, you bypass the log-in and don't use any of your minutes.

On the log-in page, in the upper right is a box, "Free Zone." There are several links in this box, one of which is Princess.com. When you click on any of the links in this box, you bypass the log-in and don't use any of your minutes.

Thanks Pam, I am going to try it when we sail on the Grand in April.

Happy cruising to all -

raz455

Never knew this, thanks for the heads up.....:):):)

Bob

Never knew this, thanks for the heads up.....:):):)

Bob

When you are signing on, to the right side of you of the screens is a list of the things you can do for free. In addition to the eCard, you can go to Princess.com, and several other things.

At this very minute...Princess is scheming a way to now charge for these. ;)

I sent out a lot of e-cards on my Nov. cruise. It would be a shame for Princess to fool with this. Princess is getting a lot of free advertising with cards with Princess ships pictured and named.

Sali

Can you add your own message or is it just a standard card determined by Princess?

We'll be having our Renewal of Vows on the Ruby in March and want to send the date and time to family and friends in advance so they might be able to catch it on the chappel-cam but we won't know the time until we're on the ship....