Do End-Of Cruise Comment Cards Change Anything?

Just wondering how much thought y'all put into your end-of-cruise comment cards and if you've seen anything change that you complained about in the past.:D

I know that Royal takes those comments seriously. Comments about a crew member do have an effect, and the crew members get to see those comments.

I do not know how much changes based on the cards, but I wish they would change the system.

currently, comment cards are in prior to disembarkation. So any good or bad occurrences on the last morning are not included in the feedback. sometimes an individual gives superior service the last am, other times one encounters bad attitudes the last morning, sometimes disembarkation is awful, sometimes it is great...management does not get this feedback. as the final impression of the trip, I think the last morning is very important. Also, having a day or two to reflect on the experience may improve the quality of the feedback. and finally, why should guests use part of their vacation time doing comment cards?

NCL sends out surveys via email shortly after the cruise. I like that system much better and can score based on the entire experience on my own time.

Royal Caribbean definitely reads the cards. I'm not sure that they will be making fleet-wide changes because of comments on a few cards but if enough people mention the same thing, I'm sure they will look into it. The crew members do benefit from praise on the cards.

I do not know how much changes based on the cards, but I wish they would change the system.

currently, comment cards are in prior to disembarkation. So any good or bad occurrences on the last morning are not included in the feedback. sometimes an individual gives superior service the last am, other times one encounters bad attitudes the last morning, sometimes disembarkation is awful, sometimes it is great...management does not get this feedback. as the final impression of the trip, I think the last morning is very important. Also, having a day or two to reflect on the experience may improve the quality of the feedback. and finally, why should guests use part of their vacation time doing comment cards?

NCL sends out surveys via email shortly after the cruise. I like that system much better and can score based on the entire experience on my own time.

I agree!!! I could be wrong but I don't think that embarkation is even listed on the comment cards. We had a very bad one on the Liberty and I looked (but not too well) on the comment card and thought that it only included onboard events.

They do have a comment area for embarkation (terminal and service staff). I always use the comment card to highlight crew members who have gone above and beyond in service. I have been told that this helps them with better assignments, promotions, and also incentives (free special tours, extra time off, etc).

An assistant waiter on his last week on the ship before vacation was not extended a new contact based on our comments about him.

One ship is now testing a program to only use certain plastic carafes for hot water and others for coffee. There is nothing worse than having a slight coffee taste to your tea or cocoa because they use the same carafes for both.

I know good comments help with promotions for the crew.......

I just wish there was more room to write on those cards..........I use every square inch front and back!:p

That's my issue too...i even stuff more paper into the comment card! I wish they'd make more room to write!

Yes they are read, yes they help. The ship gets copies of all written comments within a couple days....ships sailing from Miami and FLL get their comments before the next sailing departs, or shortly thereafter (as in the same day you get off, your comments may get to the ship...)

I have written several suggestions and it seems, with Disembarkation in Bayonne, they've taken them....(with regard to having elevator operators and dedicated 'wheelchair' elevators...)

It is taken seriously....and anyone getting bad comments can find themselves in a heap of trouble.....likewise, the crew that gets recognized loves it! I've had crew come up to me and tell me that letters I'd written mentioning htem were read at department meetings, etc!

An assistant waiter on his last week on the ship before vacation was not extended a new contact based on our comments about him.

One ship is now testing a program to only use certain plastic carafes for hot water and others for coffee. There is nothing worse than having a slight coffee taste to your tea or cocoa because they use the same carafes for both.

What on earth did he/she do, or not do, that was so bad he/she lost their job? I think I'd feel pretty crummy if I was responsible for someone losing their job...................... Was the complaint really worth his/her job to you?

What on earth did he/she do, or not do, that was so bad he/she lost their job? I think I'd feel pretty crummy if I was responsible for someone losing their job...................... Was the complaint really worth his/her job to you?

That is why I really think about what I say.....any negative comment can cost them their job...........if its something like they didn't smile enough or forgot my water,I won't mention it on the card(but hold back on a good tip)...

of course,if it is something really bad,I would say something..and that would be AFTER I went to management first and they didnt do anything about it.

Yes it was. I was in no way responsible for this person losing their job, they were.

Agree with that and hope the "test" gets enough negative comments from tea/cocoa drinkers to not continue it.

I have my own Mr. Coffee for my hot tea and everyone in my house knows to not even think about using it for coffee. More than once I have had to abandon hot tea when it has a coffee taste because of cross use of the carafes at eating establishments.

However, I don't know how a cruise line could ever make sure that a carafe for water is only used for that vs. one for coffee.

Tucker in Texas

However, I don't know how a cruise line could ever make sure that a carafe for water is only used for that vs. one for coffee.
By labeling them as such. No guarantees, but the person who took the suggestion is a dedicated tea drinker and has the ear of the higher ups. I know the test has been initiated, but no idea of the results as of yet.

Agree with that and hope the "test" gets enough negative comments from tea/cocoa drinkers to not continue it.

I have my own Mr. Coffee for my hot tea and everyone in my house knows to not even think about using it for coffee. More than once I have had to abandon hot tea when it has a coffee taste because of cross use of the carafes at eating establishments.

Tucker in Texas

They can easily color code them just like they do to differentiate between regular & decaf coffee.

I'm not sure the negative comments get taken that seriously. I've made comments and included my home phone number and e-mail address. Never was contacted by any one from the cruise line. I think only superlative comments are used for employee time off, promotions, and assignments. I have made favorable comments when service received was superior. I've commented to head waiters and the Hotel Director about great service from waiters, assistant waiters, and room stewards during the cruise.

To be fair...some of us also need to remember that certain staff members we encounter may be on their first few weeks in their position.

For example, our assistant waiter this go around (just off the Voyager) was not the best we've ever had but it was only his 3rd week in his position. What he lacked in experience he did make up for in his attitude, willingness to learn, and overall work ethic. If he had been doing that for 3 years, then yeah he might not be in the right position. But 3 weeks? Some folks needs time to grow into their position before they get sent packing.

I to like NCL's survey better, but on the other hand they also do not give you enough room to write/type very much.

I made sure I commented on my disappointment in reguards the Vini' Protofino wine and diner being cancelled due to not enough interest. I also suggested they advertise it more as we ran into a few people who said they would've done it had they'd known about it. They advertise coke, the buy the wine package and etc... they should advertise that more. Put it in the compass, or have someone mention it outside the buffet.

They ran into the same prob with the reg wine tasting. It was listed in Compass but no announcements made to remind people and we only had 7 of us and they almost cancelled that. Now, I did like the low announcements and agree every 10 min is annoying but a few a day will be fine to help people remember something is going on, just in case they snoozed too long by the pool or etc...;)

I asked several times on past cruises on the comment cards if they would please get those annoying art auctions out of the Centrum area. Well, they are gone on many ships or , at least, moved to a a lounge which can be closed off. Did my comments (along with others, I'm sure) cause this change? Who knows? Maybe? ............:)

I know what you are saying but I wonder how much of a response they get from those surveys as opposed to the ones that are filled out and turned in at the conclusion of the cruise, when everything is fresh in our minds. If the percentage is, as I believe it probably is, much lower then the value of those surveys might not be as great. Certainly in the grand scheme of things the time required to fill out the card is minimal and not that much of an inconvenience. If something stands out on the last day of your cruise, there is nothing to prevent you from sending a brief note about it (good or bad) to RCI when you get home.

I'm not sure the negative comments get taken that seriously. I've made comments and included my home phone number and e-mail address. Never was contacted by any one from the cruise line. I think only superlative comments are used for employee time off, promotions, and assignments. I have made favorable comments when service received was superior. I've commented to head waiters and the Hotel Director about great service from waiters, assistant waiters, and room stewards during the cruise.

that's a bummer, as i've been called and/or emailed after any negative i've mentioned in a comment card or letter.....and for good things as well....

it is good that you've told management about great service on the ship though..:)

EVERY cruise line reads the comment cards but the ratings are what is most important to them.

Comment cards get nit picky and of course, are subjective. Two people can eat the same meal and one will find it fabulous while the other might think its the worst meal they've ever eaten.

So the ratings are what they take most seriously when evaluating their product.

I asked several times on past cruises on the comment cards if they would please get those annoying art auctions out of the Centrum area. Well, they are gone on many ships or , at least, moved to a a lounge which can be closed off. Did my comments (along with others, I'm sure) cause this change? Who knows? Maybe? ............:)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the art auctions went away because of the lawsuit that wound up proving much of the art sold were fakes.

I don't remember the particulars of this, but I'm pretty sure that is why the auctions are no more.

Anyone know?

Archived