Diamond before Oasis or Allure?

Basman

When we were on the Freedom last October, my table mates pointed out that after that cruise I was only 4 points away from being Diamond. Currently I am at 76 points. Having worked my way up the food chain of ships, next on the list would be the Oasis or Allure. Since we only cruise once every couple of years this would be a major vacation for us.

My question for you is, should I pick up a short 4 or 5 day cruise before going on the Oasis or Allure? Since we live in Nevada it would mean going to Texas or Florida if we were to do it in 2012. Unfortunately there are no short cruises out of California anymore.

Appreciate your thoughts,

Bob

If it were me I would, we sailed Oasis and noticed the nice location of the diamond lounge overlooking the Royal Promenade, we are fortunate to be be sailing on two TA cruises next year totalling 29 nights so when we sail the Allure in 2013 we will be Diamond, I should point out though, that Oasis is such a fantastic ship you will have a ball whether you are diamond or not.

I would opt for becoming Diamond prior to sailing on this ship...I have one more cruise to become D+ then I will sail Oasis or Allure..when you get that close best to wait and enjoy all it has to offer...;):)

I would not. Unless taking a cruise before another cruise resulted in me receiving a free cruise... otherwise I wouldn't consider it.

From a purely monetary standpoint I would doubt that the perks you will receive being diamond on your Allure/Oasis (including balcony discounts, etc) will come close to covering the cost of flights and a 4-5 night cruise.

And from a practical standpoint I vacation based on where I want to go, do, and see. Cruising just to achieve that next-level status doesn't make sense to me. Since you only cruise every couple of years why not just cruise as Emerald on Oasis or Allure? Other than the lounge and some beefed-up coupons my guess is your C & A status will have zero impact on your vacation on these amazing ships!

Any excuse to take a cruise is a good enough reason to me:D! To get a 4 or 5 nighter you would have to come to Florida as that's the only place where that itinerary is offered, (they may sometimes have a 5 night to Bermuda out of Baltimore but those usually aren't that cheap). The Liberty out of FLL and the Jewel out of TPA are both doing 4/5 nights in 2012 through April. After that you will have to wait until about November when the shorter itineraries will resume. Galveston and New Orleans only offer 7 night cruises.

Unless you are really big drinkers and get really cheap flights, I do not think you recoup the cost of flights and short cruise by gaining D benefits onOasis or Allure. If you want an excuse to take a short cruise, go for it. But Oasis or Allure will be great even without the D benefits.

It just depends ... I've taken "bump status" cruises, but only also because I love cruising and it was a personal justification (note that I didn't say "good" justification) to take an extra cruise I might not otherwise have gone on. You do get a few perks with being Diamond on Oasis/Allure ... the biggest physical perk is access to the Diamond Lounge with 24-hour specialty coffees from a machine (espresso/cappuccino) and a nightly cocktail session (generally held in Blaze). Are these perks "worth" the upgrade ... from a purely money standpoint, probably not. Are they nice? Yes, if you would use them.

I would not. Unless taking a cruise before another cruise resulted in me receiving a free cruise... otherwise I wouldn't consider it.

From a purely monetary standpoint I would doubt that the perks you will receive being diamond on your Allure/Oasis (including balcony discounts, etc) will come close to covering the cost of flights and a 4-5 night cruise.

And from a practical standpoint I vacation based on where I want to go, do, and see. Cruising just to achieve that next-level status doesn't make sense to me. Since you only cruise every couple of years why not just cruise as Emerald on Oasis or Allure? Other than the lounge and some beefed-up coupons my guess is your C & A status will have zero impact on your vacation on these amazing ships!

Unless you are really big drinkers and get really cheap flights, I do not think you recoup the cost of flights and short cruise by gaining D benefits onOasis or Allure. If you want an excuse to take a short cruise, go for it. But Oasis or Allure will be great even without the D benefits.

I agree with these posts completely.

Sure! Why not? I'm always looking for an excuse to do another cruise. Of course the naysayers are right, you won't recoup the cost of the extra cruise from the Diamond perks but it's not like you're getting nothing for your money on the extra shorty and the Diamond perks will be great when you book the Oasis or Allure. Life's to short. Go for it and enjoy. ;)

I wanted to thank you for your responses to my question. It helped to put into perspective the actual diamond benefits. And now I can make a more informed decision.

Since a 4 day cruise on RCI is more complicated (and expensive) since they've pulled out of the west coast, for me, it probably makes the most sense to just take the Allure/Oasis cruise when we can. At that point we will become diamond and we can use that further down the road, maybe when the project Sunshine ships come out.

If they still had the Monarch out here, it would have been a different story. I would have taken a "bump status" cruise. Guess I am paying the price for not taking advantage of what we once had out here.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's observations and happy cruising.

Most likely it would cost less money to stay hope and get drunk rather then opting for another cruise.:eek:

Jimbo:)

Do it Do it....

It's fun to climb that C&A ladder... some folk will call you silly. How you spend your vacation dollors is your business!! If getting to Diamond makes you happy and makes you feel special while on the ship GO FOR IT!!!

Your certainly not alone..... many of us have spent tens of thousands of $$ getting to the various C&A levels. It's fun and rewarding reaching the levels!!!

Two year ago we took an extra cruise just to get to Diamond plus....do not regret it one single bit!!!

I wanted to thank you for your responses to my question. It helped to put into perspective the actual diamond benefits. And now I can make a more informed decision.

Since a 4 day cruise on RCI is more complicated (and expensive) since they've pulled out of the west coast, for me, it probably makes the most sense to just take the Allure/Oasis cruise when we can. At that point we will become diamond and we can use that further down the road, maybe when the project Sunshine ships come out.

If they still had the Monarch out here, it would have been a different story. I would have taken a "bump status" cruise. Guess I am paying the price for not taking advantage of what we once had out here.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's observations and happy cruising.

Take a short cruise and then hop on Oasis/Allure as soon as you get back to port. Ex: Take a Majesty 4-nighter. That itinerary comes back on a Friday. Take a taxi to Fort Lauderdale and get a nice room on the beach for a night or two. Then sail again Sat or Sun for Oasis/Allure. I am sure the Loyalty person on the short cruise can help your Diamond status kick in immediately for the following one on O/A.

That would save you major airfare costs.

Take a short cruise and then hop on Oasis/Allure as soon as you get back to port. Ex: Take a Majesty 4-nighter. That itinerary comes back on a Friday. Take a taxi to Fort Lauderdale and get a nice room on the beach for a night or two. Then sail again Sat or Sun for Oasis/Allure. I am sure the Loyalty person on the short cruise can help your Diamond status kick in immediately for the following one on O/A.

That would save you major airfare costs.

SmileyPerry, thanks for that idea, I hadn't thought of that. It is a great out of the box solution.

SmileyPerry, thanks for that idea, I hadn't thought of that. It is a great out of the box solution.

Do it if you have the time.

We paid $400 total for our Monarch cruise this month. We figure each of us got 4 glasses of wine a night (normally $10 a glass with tip), four nights, we saved $320 that we would have normally spent on a bar tab.

That on top of what we would have spent on groceries and utilities at home, the cruise came out just about as cheap as staying home, plus we got 8 Cruise Points!

Cutting down the bar tab on your 7 night cruise could easily come close to paying for the short cruise!

I'd try anything to get to D status before your Allure/Oasis cruise. Having a nice happy hour is a big benefit. Having access to a quiet place for breakfast with specialty coffee is enjoyable. Having access to a conceirge especially on a 7 night sailing who can help you with so many entertainment venues if you need it. And I find the Oasis and Allure are two ships that if a D or above books an inside cabin, they are often upgraded to an inside CP balcony.

my wife and i are diamond plus and yes it is worth it we was on the oasis in dec 11 and we used the concirge lounge all the time we had cooked breakfast some days also a very good hot lunch with free drinks (beer etc)

i dont know how put a new thread/post on so hopefully some one will tell me

Archived