rafinmd

Should there be a Miscellaneous thread on the HAL forum  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a Miscellaneous thread on the HAL forum

• Yes, let's do it
    • No, it would be a wast of time
    • No, I don't think it could stay on the HAL forum

From the "Whoa.... A LOT of Posts" thread

I'd like to see a thread titled "Miscellaneous"... where Members could just check in each day and write about anything, without being restricted to the topic at hand... obviously, it would be cruise related...

Because this HAL thread is so "homey" to so many people...

Just my opinion.:)

I think this is a crackerjack idea. My primary family on CC is over on the Crystal board but this is like my second family. I believe this really belongs on the HAL board because the relationship between people helps make the overall forum more productive and would hope that the hosts who were so generous to us on that thread would agree. What do you all think?

I would also like to see us mothball the "Lot of posts". We could resurrect it for 40 million, 100 million, and our grandchildren for a billion posts. The title has that flexibility in it.

Roy

From the "Whoa.... A LOT of Posts" thread

I think this is a crackerjack idea. My primary family on CC is over on the Crystal board but this is like my second family. I believe this really belongs on the HAL board because the relationship between people helps make the overall forum more productive and would hope that the hosts who were so generous to us on that thread would agree. What do you all think?

Roy

Roy, click on the red triangle at the top right of your post and suggest it in the box that opens up. Make sure to sign it with your CC name.

I also would like to see it as a sticky for our boards:) But do not know how many would use it. I know that I do not visit the Float Away Lounge so to me that is a waste of Boards, though I am sure the others who use it would strongly disagree with me:)

Joanie

I think it's a nice idea too Roy - When we did the 'Whoa - a lot of posts', I have to say that those that partook had a lot of fun. It was a fun thread, no bickering and lots of camraderie. Would be nice to see that carried throughout the New Year in all of our threads:)

No!!!!! Not another "sticky"! :eek: We have more than we need now. If everything suggested as a "sticky" became a "sticky", then the threads wouldn't start until page 2---or three---or more!

There should be a rule---for every new "sticky", at least one "sticky" must be "unstuck".

We've all seen ancient threads resurrected. It will be easy enough to bring the 30,000,000 post thread back if/when the time comes.

No!!!!! Not another "sticky"! :eek: We have more than we need now. If everything suggested as a "sticky" became a "sticky", then the threads wouldn't start until page 2---or three---or more!

There should be a rule---for every new "sticky", at least one "sticky" must be "unstuck".

I agree. I don't see why we still need two on AYWD ... and there's a couple of others that I would eliminate if it was up to me!

I think even with a miscellaneous sticky people would still start threads that aren't cruise-related, or HAL-related, OR it would turn into a HAL-forum floataway thread that wouldn't get read any more than the current floataway forum.

I agree with Ruth -- there are way too many "stickies" on the HAL section. We don't need another one.

The "number of posts" thing was actually started on "Ask A Cruise Question". It really didn't catch on.

The one on the Carnival board was moved to the Floataway Lounge -- anything you post there does not count towards a post count.

The one started on the HAL section was nice at the beginning -- then there was some snide remarks about posting good posts, etc. From there it just went to a bunch of junk posts -- I quit posting on it.

We've all seen ancient threads resurrected. It will be easy enough to bring the 30,000,000 post thread back if/when the time comes.

Agree completely.

MHO happens to be that there's already too much Misc. on this forum so more isn't neded. Since you asked just sharing my opinion. :)

Excellent idea to unstick the stickies. First on my list would be the As You Wish Dining sticky with 1962 posts going back to 2007. Get rid of it. It must be full of misinformation and obsolete information and it doesn't keep people from asking about fixed vs. anytime dining anyway.

Completely, absolutely agree. People come here for info on cruising, not miscellaneous - there are other boards for that.

If the mods allow us to have a 'Misc.' thread, I don't see any need to 'sticky' it. I think as long as people are interested in posting, it will stay on the first page. If it falls too far behind it just shows the lack of interest.

If the mods allow us to have a 'Misc.' thread, I don't see any need to 'sticky' it. I think as long as people are interested in posting, it will stay on the first page. If it falls too far behind it just shows the lack of interest.

I agree completely. If there isn't sufficient interest to keep it fresh (and the poll results seem to suggest that) then it should die a natural death.

With regard to stickies, I think there is a misconception. At least on my system, the stickies do not count against the number of threads shown on a page. In my browser, I get 40 threads per page. Any stickies are in addition to those 40. They don't reduce the number of active threads shown, but they make the page longer. Not necessarily a better side effect but still a different one.

Roy

I agree with Ruth.

NO more stickies. And there are a few that may have outlived their usefulness IMO

I don't think I would visit a Misc thread very often. It's fine and fun for a very occasional thing but I don't think it's a great idea for permanent.

JMO

Agree. There are way too many stickies as it is! If 2/3 of them went away, nobody would even notice. I'd love to see some of them become "unstuck".

I agree with Ruth.

NO more stickies. And there are a few that may have outlived their usefulness IMO

I don't think I would visit a Misc thread very often. It's fine and fun for a very occasional thing but I don't think it's a great idea for permanent.

JMO

I agree that the "Lot of Posts" thread was fine and fun but I don't think a miscellaneous thread is a good idea for a permanent thing.

If people want to post miscellaneous things, use the Floataway Lounge.

I know posting there doesn't increase an individual's post numbers, but I've never understood why the number is important anyway.

I agree that the "Lot of Posts" thread was fine and fun but I don't think a miscellaneous thread is a good idea for a permanent thing.

Agree, though can't help but note that there are already lots of miscellaneous topics that appear frequently on the HAL forum including recent ones that come to mind like which books to download to kindle, how big the Oasis is and a sunset. All are valid topics of discussion but not IMHO on the HAL forum, though I can expect and accept not everyone may share the same view.

I know posting there doesn't increase an individual's post numbers, but I've never understood why the number is important anyway.

It doesn't add to your post count? Interesting.

Archived