Half Moon Cay - not that impressed!

potsie57

I was so looking forward to our visit to Half Moon Cay based on all the positive reviews on this board. I was really not that impressed! There was wall to wall people, maybe we should have moved way down the beach. The weather wasn't great either but, that is not why I wasn't crazy about this small island. The chairs are all on top of each other, the food was below average....Just my opinion....

I was so looking forward to our visit to Half Moon Cay based on all the positive reviews on this board. I was really not that impressed! There was wall to wall people, maybe we should have moved way down the beach. The weather wasn't great either but, that is not why I wasn't crazy about this small island. The chairs are all on top of each other, the food was below average....Just my opinion....

That's what we do and always have a great time. The loud party scene around the waterpark area is not for us. But there are literally miles of beach there, so you should be able to find a place that works for you.

You are entitled to your opinion. Many will disagree with you.

Question - have you been to a beach resort before that had nicer sand and less crowding? We haven't. Just curious what you are comparing it to.

Yes, Akumal and Tulum have nicer sand and less crowding! And so does Punta Cana in the DR.

Sorry that you did not like Half Moon Cay.

There was a time when we used to stay quite a while on HMC.

But we have gotten into the habit of going over for a short time -- having a cocktail -- then returning to the ship for lunch.

Be thankful you weren't there when 2 ships visit the island.

Sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience. This port was by far the favorite for my family. We had a cabana, plenty of space to be in the water alone and just enjoy a beautiful day. I also found the people that work there to be as friendly as those on the ship, which is nice after a few rough patches in other ports.

I agree, we are not big sun people and just don't really get into the HMC scene. We will usually still go, do a little snorkeling and then head back to the ship.

Potsie, was Nieuw Amsterdam there alone, or was she sharing the island? It can make a HUGE difference in the experience. The only problem I've found with the food is that by the time you wander through the dining pavilions and find a place to sit, it's often cold.

If you shared the island, give it another chance when there's only 1 ship there!

We were there on Christmas Day and loved it. Purchased a claimshell for shade between cabanna #4 and #5 which seemed to be a good location. Close to the pirate ship, and close to the food pavillion for lunch.

We took a walk to the far end of the beach, less people, same sandy beach with the clear,turquoise blue waters. There we were able to watch a group horseback riding along the beach.

HMC is a nice, relaxing day.

Lunch was ok, nothing too special. Only complaint is that I couldn't use my beverage card on the island. It was our final full day of the cruise and I would have used up the balance of a $100 card that day if I could have.

Cheers!

Gary

PS ... what happened to the Packers!!! I was counting on them going to the Superbowl again this year!

Of course I will give it another chance! There was one other ship in port also. I think our mistake was not going to the end of the beach where there were less people. Next time I know to keep walking!!

When we went, we definitely wanted to avoid the crowds so we headed to the far end of the beach and got loungers near the last cabana. There were others where we were, but it was not the least bit crowded and there was plenty of space. I also took a walk down to the far end of the beach where you can't go any further due to the rocks and it looked like a post card. There were only a few others down that far (four or five other people) who were snorkeling near the rocks (they later told me it was decent snorkeling). I'll attach some pictures so you can get an idea of what this area looks like in case you ever get back.

View of beach from our loungers

100_6776.jpg

View from our loungers toward the busy part of the beach. It was still early when we arrived there (lack of crowds in the picture), but it got very crowded in the area near the cruise center quickly.

100_6780.jpg

These next two pictures are down past the last cabana where I walked the beach.

100_6823.jpg

100_6826.jpg

The rocks at the end of the beach

100_6800.jpg

I think we were there at the same time. We planted ourselves at about the last cabana and that made a huge difference. We walked the full length and the crowds closest to the entrance would have driven me insane. Two ships definitely were too many! However, we were often the only people in the water in front of our loungers. I thought the sand - like talcum powder - and water were fabulous!

I too was very disappointed in the food (cold and overcooked) and the rain during lunch didn't help the situation. Though the rain did send a lot of people back to the ship, so the afternoon was lighter from a crowd perspective. I was also disappointed that they were burning trash, both from a visual and smell perspective. I put that comment on the survey.

We had rented a clamshell (which I would do again), protects from rain and sun ;) However, I think next time I would go over as early as possible, beat the crowds and then head back for lunch on the boat.

So for me, mixed reviews. Lesson - to avoid the crowds, just walk a ways!

Archived