Have you tried Seadream and how did it compare?

Naveron

2013 will be a cruise year for us and after 3 happy cruises on Seabourn, we are debating about whether to try Seadream next winter (Caribbean). The itineraries seem a little different so I have to admit I am tempted. My husband points out that since we have been so happy with Seabourn and they get such high ratings, it would be a no brainer to go with Seabourn again. Just wondering if any of you have tried Seadream and what did you think? THanks

2013 will be a cruise year for us and after 3 happy cruises on Seabourn, we are debating about whether to try Seadream next winter (Caribbean). The itineraries seem a little different so I have to admit I am tempted. My husband points out that since we have been so happy with Seabourn and they get such high ratings, it would be a no brainer to go with Seabourn again. Just wondering if any of you have tried Seadream and what did you think? THanks

In our experience Seadream is more casual, passengers somewhat younger, food and service not quite up to Seabourn. Eating on deck most nights (Caribbean cruise) was very nice.

All in all, however, we prefer Seabourn---quieter, more elegant---but not snobby.

-Barry

In our experience Seadream is more casual, passengers somewhat younger, food and service not quite up to Seabourn. Eating on deck most nights (Caribbean cruise) was very nice.

All in all, however, we prefer Seabourn---quieter, more elegant---but not snobby.

-Barry

I'll agree with Barry, although my experience on SD was stellar. The only "drawback" I see with SD is that the ships get chartered at the last minute sometimes, and because of its size, you throw the dice with the dynamics of the other passengers.

Host Dan

I've been on SeaDream in the Caribbean twice, though I have yet to try Seabourn. I love SeaDream, mainly because of the wonderful staff and casual ambiance. I hate having to get super dressed up and like the more laid back and less crowded conditions I always find on SeaDream. I have pre-booked a third cruise for sometime in 2013.

I will warn, though, that if you are very prone to seasickness or must have your own balcony, SeaDream may not be a good fit. The bathrooms are small and the windows in the cabin don't open. Also, I think it's fair to mention that in the Caribbean, it can be hard to escape the sun. That's an issue for me, since I burn easily!

Still, every time I get off a SeaDream cruise, I start planning for the next one! It takes me weeks to come down after a SeaDream cruise! You may want to ask your question on the SeaDream board too, since there are several regular posters there who have also cruised on Seabourn.

above posters comments about cabin,small bathroom and no balcony.Plus, its just too small a fit for me.No entertainment,one dining venue,,had to book ahead of time to eat outside for dinner.Food and service WERE excellent..but just love big cabin and room service for breakfast,shows to go to at nite and Seabourn,Regent,style ships.

We were charmed by a SD itinerary in Fall 2010 so decided to cringe and pay up considerably to try it. We were not impressed in general, though the staff WAS GREAT, with a few exceptions. Several of our fellow shipmates were regulars and had noted that the furnishings were "tired" and that wine and food quality had become significantly restricted.

Furthermore, our complaints and criticisms after the cruise were never acknowledged. To me, that is a bad sign, especially after they got us to try it once. They lost us as future travelers. We are staying with Seabourn, with occasional ventures on other small ships based on itinerary.

Tried Seadream three times. Personally we much prefer Seabourn, but a lot depends on you and your likes and dislikes. SD is excellent for the youngish and active (hiking and biking trips ashore etc.); in lovely weather as the pool and top deck are lovely, but not good in poor weather, and in our opinion the wines were mostly poor and they did not want to give you a choice. However, food in the evenings was delicious. I agree with a previous poster that they would not welcome any complaints, as I feel they are overly fond of themselves (talking more about Head Office than the staff on board). The average passenger will be from the US, and probably in their forties or at most fifties. We are older, and from the UK, and find the ambiance of SB preferable. Hope this helps with some indication of the Seadream style.

Seadream January 2010, Caribbean 9 days; Seabourn Spirit, Feb 2012, Australia to Singapore, 12 days.

My thoughts.

Cabin: we were upgraded to a verandah cabin on SB. Fabulous, sleeping with the French windows open and hearing the sea swoosh past. SD has no balconies.

WC etc: SB cabin had bathroom you could sit on "the throne" in without having the bathroom door open, as in SD. SD shower was fab, but no tub.

Storage: Walk-in wardrobe on SB excellent.

Layout. SD had lounge area inside cabin door, then bed next to hull. SB the reverse. Thought this might give a problem with noise from corridors, but didn't. There is a recess to the cabin door and the walk-in wardrobe and bathroom seperate the bedroom from the corridor too.

Entertainment: never found the lack of evening "activities" a loss on SD, but also enjoyed the evenings on SB. Did have a great British cruise director.

Dining: SD def less formal. Never had a problem eating outdoors, which we love. On SB, we ate outdoors at the back almost every night too - even when "booked" the staff still found us a table. Wines similar, food on SD was more European and to our taste - especially sweet things, such as desserts and pastries.

Other facilities: SD has a lot less indoor space - wouldn't want to be aboard in bad weather. SD much nicer outside space. Pool on SB is yuck!

Overall, SB is quite a bit less expensive than SD.

Looking at SB for a cheap week or two off season in the med. Although I know many of the places, would spend most time ashore.

SD for the Caribbean. Love being outdoors on it.

Horses for courses.

We found Seadream a different style of cruise. Seadream use the term yachting........ we just felt that was a great way of getting away with casual but pleasant service. The previous posts have mentioned tiny bathrooms, small cabins, windows etc......but what got us was it was just not as professionally managed in our view. Used glasses and trays were not cleared from the Library for hours, we were served tea without a lid on a teapot, regularly incorrect room service and a host of other minor details relating to standards. A general casual approach seemed to be the norm throughout the ship. I must say how pleasant the crew are, the food especially at night is excellent but we just felt that there did not seem to be any management that really monitored standards. You could sum it up by saying that there seems to be a bit of a "manana" culture throughout the ship.

For us the two products are just not comparable, Seabourn's ships are in a different league, more comfortable, larger staterooms, some entertainment and very professionally run.

I am sure most people including ourselves enjoy Seadream but for us we feel Seabourn offers so much more as a complete vacation package.

• 6 months later...

After 5 cruises with Seabourn and after hearing great things about Seadream from other passengers on Seabourn we decided to give it a try.

There are of course pluses and minuses for both lines. We found more pluses for Seabourn and decided to go back for are 6th cruise and we have now booked our 7th.

The rooms, food (it was hit or miss on Seadream), staff diversity, entertainment, gym, room service and tender service (Seadream has 2 tenders but only put one in service making it very long) are far superior on Seabourn.

The thai spa, daily open marina and relaxed dress code were the pluses for us on Seadream. Both lines say that it's yachting not cruising, however on Seabourn the men must dress as though they are going to work in order to dine in the MDR on most evenings. We missed not having the formal nights while on Seadream, but those WAY TOO FREQUENT - no bend the rules - elegant casual evenings on Seabourn were not missed at all.

If this was a perfect world, we could have the best of both, but until then we must read through different posts and figure out what aspects are more important to our individual needs.

Good to hear you liked Seadream. To us the jacket required nights on the larger ships are not a problem, as we also like eating in the Colonnade or patio grill if he doesn't feel like dressing up a bit.

To me, the only real downside on Seadream (and being a bit older and not so active it is not really my style anyway) is that you really wouldn't want to risk it if it was likely that the weather would not be good; it is really only suitable for warm dry weather cruising. A point to consider if you were thinking of Norway, for instance. A real lack of indoor space and things to do in bad weather.

We have sailed SeaDream numerous times in the Med, Mexico, and the Caribbean. I have to say, I do not disagree with anything said here. Host Dan is right though when he says the passenger makeup is very important. SeaDream is getting more "family friendly". We have been on board with numerous children and it really messes up the feel. The owner and his entourage can have much the same effect. If you get lucky, SeaDream can be wonderful. For locales, I would chose Seabourn in Europe as the weather is more changeable and SeaDream is all about the outdoor spaces. Conversely, I would chose SeaDream in the Caribbean as the open deck/pool areas are much better than on the Little Sisters and the SeaDream ships are more suited to small Islands than the Big Sisters.:D

Being "older" and a "platinum Seabourn" but also a 5 plus tripper with SeaDream let me ditto most comments above. The warm Caribbean is a must. I will note re: the comment about sun...SeaDream is great in that umbrella's are set up around the poor and I (who also cannot take sun bathing) have never had a problem. The casual atmosphere is a lovely change from the more formal Seabourn but we have always met a more "continental" passenger mix. Scotland, Denmark, Bermuda for example have been represented.

Archived