Crown Review - 2/4 norovirus cruise to nowhere

Brig273

I'm glad that you're home safe and sound. I just like being out to sea so missing the ports wouldn't have mattered much to me. However, that being said, I would have liked to been to one port just to put my feet on the ground.

Cruising is the best and I'm glad you made the best of it!!

Lynne

I was on this cruise as well. I totally agree with your review of the food though. I had heard Princess was a step up from RC, but honestly.. it was nothing to talk about. I did love the Fettucine Alfredo as well.. probably the best thing I had from the MDR.

At least we got our money back.. and I'm sorry your birthday wasn't exactly how you thought it would be.

Heard about the poor bride to be who was to get married in one of the ports. Family was there waiting for her.. she was on the ship. I felt so bad for her and had heard she had paid a wedding planner $5,000. Not sure if this is at all accurate as I'd been told from another cruise member but how awful for her.

Ah ok. Yeah, for an airport hotel should be less than 5 minutes (except for the Econolodge and Ramada). I assumed you meant one of the closer city hotels..

There is still a minimum fee from the airport:

"The minimum fare including the egress fee for any trip starting at an airport cabstand at the Philadelphia International Airport shall be $11.00.

If the fare goes over $11.00, a $1.50 egress fee must be added. "

If he hit you for $11.00 the drive time didn't matter. Any more than that was a ripoff.

Did he try to charge you the

Our hotel was at the airport. I know they have a flat rate to center city. Trust me, the guy ripped us off. Que sera, sera!

Wow. The next time I read a review of how someone's cruise was ruined by poor coffee quality or torn carpet, I think I'll refer them to this review! The OP should be commended for having such a positive attitude!

Pretty much nails it, right there! Pretty hard to compare "not getting enough escargot" with "not being able to keep Saltines down".

Do you have any info on the crew? Do they really keep the sick crew away from work? I hope you have a great next cruise.......

There were a few staff memebers that we saw and then they were gone becasue they were sick. So they did quarantine the staff as well. They were also using untrained staff in areas that they weren't familiar with. I felt bad for the girl in the dining room one day, she was trying to seat us and had her map of the tables out. Her name tag said "buffet". They did their best!

Heard about the poor bride to be who was to get married in one of the ports. Family was there waiting for her.. she was on the ship. I felt so bad for her and had heard she had paid a wedding planner $5,000. Not sure if this is at all accurate as I'd been told from another cruise member but how awful for her.

How sad for them - they will always remember their missed wedding! I wonder if her insurance will be able to help her with that. Must be a first for that - I guess it's one thing that you can't have a backup plan for.

Do you have any info on the crew? Do they really keep the sick crew away from work? I hope you have a great next cruise.......

I was on the 1/28/12 Crown cruise. They tried to keep the crew members who were sick away from the rest of the crew. Our assistant waiter room mate was sick. He said they removed the sick crew member from his room and cleaned their cabin. But the assistant waiter who shared the romm with the sick crew member was still able to work.

Wow. The next time I read a review of how someone's cruise was ruined by poor coffee quality or torn carpet, I think I'll refer them to this review! The OP should be commended for having such a positive attitude!

I so agree :) Review was a good read....the OP has a knack of writing a good, informative, funny and interesting review and I am sorry it was cut so short. I look forward to reading her next review....but want it to be of a full length 7 day cruise ...she deserves it :)

OMG, you had the same cabin following us. We were on there 1/21 and 1/28. Loved the cabin and balcony. The only problem was if we were going south or north with the wind across the balcony. We will book it in a heartbeat next time. The only time Club Fusion bothered us was one night when we tried to go to bed early. 10-11 pm. But not for long.That will be our cabin from now on. We had no problems with the noro. Also, wasn't Michael, the room steward the best? Just a couple of extra requests at the beginning and we never had to ask him again. So glad you didn't get sick either. We can't wait to go on another cruise again. I'm ready for next week. We became Platinum members this cruise. Like the extra wifi minutes. Guess I'm rambling,by for now.

OMG, you had the same cabin following us. We were on there 1/21 and 1/28. Loved the cabin and balcony. The only problem was if we were going south or north with the wind across the balcony. We will book it in a heartbeat next time. The only time Club Fusion bothered us was one night when we tried to go to bed early. 10-11 pm. But not for long.That will be our cabin from now on. We had no problems with the noro. Also, wasn't Michael, the room steward the best? Just a couple of extra requests at the beginning and we never had to ask him again. So glad you didn't get sick either. We can't wait to go on another cruise again. I'm ready for next week. We became Platinum members this cruise. Like the extra wifi minutes. Guess I'm rambling,by for now.

Yes, this cabin and Michael are the best!!! We have this cabin booked on Sapphire next May for a CA coastal. There's no going back now!

I'm sailing on the Crown on the 18th and I'm now very nervous. I hope I'm able to make the best of it if worse comes to worse :(

We found this information helpful:

http://www.simmons.edu/hygieneandhealth/Norovirus%20Infection%20in%20Home%20and%20Community%20Settings.pdf

We washed / sanitized our hands religiously and avoided elevators and standing extremely close to people as much as possible. No sign of illness yet - we figure if we last until tonight, we're probably ok.

I'm sailing on the Crown on the 18th and I'm now very nervous. I hope I'm able to make the best of it if worse comes to worse :(

Go on your cruise and have a great time. Keep your fingers out of your mouth, nese and eyes. Wash your hands. You will be fine. We will be on Ruby 3/4/12. We are not going to stop taking a cruise vacation. My husband is still sick with a bad chest cold, but he will not give up our Ruby cruise either.

If you look at the total number of all the people who cruise in this world only a small amount of people get sick. I would not want to be one of them, but if I was (like my husband and friends who got sick) I would sitll cruise!

I'm glad you made the best of it and did not get sick. We were on one of the December cruises of the Crown with a noro outbreak--and were also fortunate enough not to catch it. We had traditional dining and thought the food was great--better than our most recent Princess cruise on the Island the year before. Perhaps it was a shortage of staff in the galley that made it not as good for you.

Thanks for your review. I heard about the Crown turnaround and wondered how pax felt about it. Sounds like you made the best of a less than optimal vacation. Kudos to you! Funny thing, I've been on 18 Princess cruises and never had them serve me something I did not order in the MDR, it happening to you and your DH a couple of times on a 5 day cruise just amazes me. But it sounds like you enjoyed it nonetheless, I'll be sure to try the granola next cruise.

Archived