Should I be Flattered or Furious?

Froufie

Tbh, I would think that they might have asked you beforehand as well,, and I would be a little put off in that sense.. BUT, at least they only stole pictures, & not your ID..(social security number, etc.)

Ahh,, gotta love the Internet. And some of the ppl that use it. :rolleyes::cool:

So I check out someone else's travel blog (on the same cruise as I was on) and notice an eerie similarity in some of the pictures? The individual was of course on the same cruise and visited some of the same spots but still?

I go and check my pics/review and lo and behold I now notice the pics are not just similar but IDENTICAL - down to the same parked cars and people on the street in the same spots wearing the same clothes....well you get the idea!

Looks like someone has 'borrowed' a few of my pics, posting them in their own bllog making it look as if they took them?

Now those that know me know I am a pretty relaxed and 'go with the flow' kind of a person - and I'm sure if someone had asked nicely if they could use my pics, or given credit I would not bat an eye.....

But the idea of using someone else's pictures and passing them off as your own are foreign to me (yes friends are commenting on the blog about HER review and pics :) )....

I have 'posted' and mentioned this to the offender with no response yet???:rolleyes:

So would you be flattered or furious?

I think that's creepy. :eek:

I can't imagine ever even having the thought to steal someone else's photos...just wrong.

i dont see why you care either way. its a blog that nobody cares about in the end. if they were commercial photos used for your financial gain, i could see being upset, but otherwise i wouldnt care if someone used my pictures as long as me and my family arent in them.

This reminds me of the story of an American family that posted their picture on line, and it got picked up by a Czech Republic supermarket. The picture ended up plastered on the side of a building as part of an ad!

Here's the story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/11/smith-family-photo-czech-advertisement

I honestly don't think it would bother me. If I have posted pictures that I've taken and someone else were to copy them, I would know they liked them I guess. Now if I took a photo that was highly unique I would put my name on it, or some sort of mark, so they either couldn't be copied or at least my name would be on it. But just your every day run of the mill photos that anyone else could take too, wouldn't bother me.

So I check out someone else's travel blog (on the same cruise as I was on) and notice an eerie similarity in some of the pictures? The individual was of course on the same cruise and visited some of the same spots but still?

I go and check my pics/review and lo and behold I now notice the pics are not just similar but IDENTICAL - down to the same parked cars and people on the street in the same spots wearing the same clothes....well you get the idea!

Looks like someone has 'borrowed' a few of my pics, posting them in their own bllog making it look as if they took them?

Now those that know me know I am a pretty relaxed and 'go with the flow' kind of a person - and I'm sure if someone had asked nicely if they could use my pics, or given credit I would not bat an eye.....

But the idea of using someone else's pictures and passing them off as your own are foreign to me (yes friends are commenting on the blog about HER review and pics :) )....

I have 'posted' and mentioned this to the offender with no response yet???:rolleyes:

That has happened to me on a number of occasions and it really is irritating. One of the entities that used my pictures is well known on this forum.

Those images are yours... despite the fact that they're displayed publicly they're still yours and other people don't have rights to use them and you don't need to go through the process of a 'formal' copyright or the use of a copyright symbol. Registration is purely optional.

If I were you I'd notify the person using your images and have them removed...

Hum, I'm not sure. I've made websites and have used pictures from websites on those and even school projects and didn't ask for permission. I don't take pictures from peoples blogs or photo galleries though.

However, if it's a review I would think you would use your own pictures. That happened to me on this forum, I did a review of my Fascination cruise and then a few months later someone did a review of their Fascination cruise with my pictures. I wasn't mad, but I always thought if you were reviewing "your" cruise or "your" experience on anything you would use your pictures.

Unfortunately anyone can find pictures that you've uploaded and placed on the internet. My husband and I discovered cruise critic and photobucket by going to Google Images and typing in the name of the ship we were looking for and sometimes using specific search terms if we were looking for anything in particular so if you name or label your pictures using anything related to the cruise or the ship then anyone can find them by doing a simple search.

Try doing as a few others have metioned and add a watermark or your name across the entire pic for a little while and see if they keep the images. Make sure you have an original copy of the pics saved in a folder on your computer and a folder with the changed pics and swap out the ones you've uploaded with the new pics with your name across them so it shows all over their review :D Make sure you keep the same names on them when you swap them out so it will still have the same address and will work

Froufie ... on one of those sites that people here tell others to look at the cabin pictures.

Someone borrowed my pictures I posted on CC and sent them in. I blame the site too.

I guess there is no way to know who took the pictures. and others told me once you post the pictures, they are public, not yours.

who is right?? seems wrong to me to steal my pictures.

I will add that everyone on CC said I was in the wrong to object, that once you post the pictures they are common property. I call it stealing and wouldnt ever recommend that site and will call them that they stole my pictures. Its one thing if I choose to send them in ..its another if they come here and steal the pictures. For all I know the site itself is the one who stole them.

Froufie...I think you should go out to the blog's public comment section and say something like: "Glad you had a grand time and my pictures captured your moments. Let me know if you need more of my photos to enhance your other trips." That might shake up their 'web creed' a bit and make them thin twice in the future. Or not. But unless you watermarked and copyrighted your photos, nothing you can really do about it legally.

Froufie ... on one of those sites that people here tell others to look at the cabin pictures.

Someone borrowed my pictures I posted on CC and sent them in. I blame the site too.

I guess there is no way to know who took the pictures. and others told me once you post the pictures, they are public, not yours.

It is wrong, but I think if the person post on their site that they aren't their own photos that it's ok. At that point, I would be flattered. But I would never try pass some one elses photos off as my own.

Truthfully, in spite of everything said about the internet not being secure I would be furious if someone tried to pass off my pictures as their own.

This used to happen to me all of the time on eBay. 12 years ago, when hosting digital images was somewhat of an unknown concept, I would often have my item images hijacked. The beautiful part was that the hijackers would link directly to my image. That would allow me to replace the image with another! I had a lot of fun messing with eBay sellers who thought they were selling a hard drive and instead showed a picture of a pirate, with a word bubble that said "Would you buy from someone who steals images?"

Doesn't quite sound as much fun in the retelling as it was when it happened!

Kevin C

That has happened to me on a number of occasions and it really is irritating. One of the entities that used my pictures is well known on this forum.

Those images are yours... despite the fact that they're displayed publicly they're still yours and other people don't have rights to use them and you don't need to go through the process of a 'formal' copyright or the use of a copyright symbol. Registration is purely optional.

If I were you I'd notify the person using your images and have them removed...

I take pictures of a lot of my cabins. The site that stole my pictures is also well known on here. It seems the wrong way to grow a site to have to steal pictures posted on CC.

This used to happen to me all of the time on eBay. 12 years ago, when hosting digital images was somewhat of an unknown concept, I would often have my item images hijacked. The beautiful part was that the hijackers would link directly to my image. That would allow me to replace the image with another! I had a lot of fun messing with eBay sellers who thought they were selling a hard drive and instead showed a picture of a pirate, with a word bubble that said "Would you buy from someone who steals images?"

Doesn't quite sound as much fun in the retelling as it was when it happened!

Kevin C

That's GREAT!! Love it ;) :D

who's pictures are in everyone's signature in their countdown clocks, as well as the op's countdown clock? :confused:

i see no credits anywhere.

Covered by the terms of use of the countdown clock website.

I will add that everyone on CC said I was in the wrong to object, that once you post the pictures they are common property. I call it stealing and wouldnt ever recommend that site and will call them that they stole my pictures. Its one thing if I choose to send them in ..its another if they come here and steal the pictures. For all I know the site itself is the one who stole them.

Pictures you take are covered by the copyright laws just as much as any taken by a professional photographer. Someone using your pictures without your permission is violating that law, especially if they are using your pictures for commercial purposes.

Legally, the pictures are yours, protected by copyright, unless you gave up those rights when you posted them online originally. You'll have to check the terms of the site that's hosting your pictures to determine that.

Practically, unless this is a commercial site, I wouldn't make a big deal about it. If someone is trying to make money off his travel "expertise," directly or indirectly, I would say something about it. If it's a howdy to his friends and this is what I did on vacation, I'd let it drop and pat yourself on the back for being an inspiration.

That's wrong of them.

If someone downloads a picture and uses it as their private desktop, that's one thing. But to charade the pictures in their public travel blog and pass as their own, that's just wrong.

Watermarks and signatures are the way to go.

Thanks for all the comments and 'ideas'! Some are pretty funny!

Pics are not 'linked' in any way...in fact I posted a link to my review (with these pics) and then the 'offender' posted a link to her blogs on the same thread with links to her blog) right below mine!!!

I agree that 'asking' would have been the right thing to do - and yes these are just 'scenery' shots and not personal - that would have been a different story.

I have 'called' her out in a nice way (using the word 'borrowed' :) )....but no response yet... Yes, as mentioned I am considering posting on her actual blog - that might be fun! :D:D

In the end it's not such a big deal - I was just shocked I guess to see my photos on someone else's travel blog/review....but sounds like I am not alone and this has happened to others as well!

I do agree that in principle it's not a nice thing to do without asking first!

Archived