Should I be Flattered or Furious?

Froufie

I have friends who all blog for large wedding sites as their official bloggers and their Code of Conduct is more or less that they have to give credit where credit is due. So if they pull a picture from the interwebz under it they have to say "Image via (link to the website)" and if it's on a website, but taken by a photog they have to say "Image via (link to website)/Photography by (link to photographer's site).

I have friends who all blog for large wedding sites as their official bloggers and their Code of Conduct is more or less that they have to give credit where credit is due. So if they pull a picture from the interwebz under it they have to say "Image via (link to the website)" and if it's on a website, but taken by a photog they have to say "Image via (link to website)/Photography by (link to photographer's site).

This is a great point. Whenever a site like Rock N Roll Bride or Style Me Pretty or Offbeat Bride uses our images (or anyone elses), they always get permission from the photographer and credit them with a link to our/their site.

When they use an image as inspiration for a themed wedding or an awesome dress they found, they link to it and credit it (although they often cannot ask permission for this as it's impossible to locate/find the original photographer if there is no credit on the image.)

If a bride submits the photos, the bloggers get the bride to tell them who took the photos and to get permission from them.

Again, this is on the professional scale but it's all within the realm of the law regardless of professional or personal.

Edited to add: The lines often become blurry when wedding coordinators post inspiration photos and they don't say "we didn't coordinate/plan event". Like, they'll make a post talking about how awesome ostrich feathers are as centerpieces complete with loads of photos of them (none of which are from events that they actually coordinated.) However, since they don't say they didn't coordinate the event and the photos are on their page, it leads consumers to believe that it's their work. This is what ticks me off with image use in general when people steal photos. If you really want to show them off that bad, then credit the proper people and be done with it.

I don't know the OP of this thread very well but from her history here on CC, I tend to believe they are her photos (not the other posters).

I would be angry if someone was posting my pics on their review and saying they were their pictures. I have had people copy some I have posted and noticed them saying- marshhawk posted this pic, and I have no problem with that.

I read far too many reveiws that IMHO were written by people who never EVER have been on the cruise they are writing about, now apparently they are using someone else's pictures and story lines to create the cruise-IN THEIR DREAMS:eek::rolleyes:

After looking at both reviews, my question is who used whose pictures? Both reviews had well over 200 photos and 3 of them were the same. I thinking OP is making way too much of nothing.

Wow - never thought anyone would question this - and why in heaven's name would I even call attention to this if I was the actual 'thief'! :D:D

As mentioned if you search enough you will find the posts/blog in question (I purposely did not wish to post the links in question)....and yes no response yet from the blogger!

And special thanks to all those (esp italian femmy) with the copyright info and support. To be quite honest I am not super upset and would not press charges or anything - at this point I would simply appreciate an apology and offer to remove said pics - esp since they are only street scenes and tourist spots!

I do understand those that do this profesionally would obviously need to protect themselves from those who have no scruples and 'steal' online pics for their own purposes! :eek:

Haha. I am hardly a celebrity. You can feel free to talk to me anywhere including in my review. :-) I still cannot believe that 3 of them were using the same photo. I wonder if any of them even knew! How embarassing! lol.

The average price point there for a good photographer is 1k? Or is that a starting price for your run of the mill photographer? Our rates start significantly higher than that and for the amount of work I do, I cannot imagine charging less regardless of what market it is. I wonder if it's the norm for your area? I hope you were able to find someone fantastic to document your big day! I wish I'd been to that bridal expo you went to - I'd have walked up to them and been like "Excuse me, is this really your image or is it xyz's image on aisle 4, booth 12? Or how about abc's image on aisle 2, booth 6?" Haha.

The packages START at $1k. And that's fine, but, like I said, I know some of these people. I know them personally, and I know they haven't done enough to ask for that much money. You have loads of experience and your work speaks for itself. You're also from Florida, right? Everything's more expensive in Florida, at least that's what my friend who photographs her soup tells me. She was smart and moved there last year. :D

Well to be honest after looking at the blog in question I do think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. When I first read your post I thought that someone had literally copied your photo album and passed it off as their own. But in looking at the blog in question it's clear to see that the vast majority of the photos depict her own family and are different from yours. I'm guessing the three photos in question she borrowed from you depicted things they saw on their tour but neglected to photograph. It happens. Now she should have asked, but really, I don't think I would be so upset about the use of three borrowed photos in her entire blog. And I don't think I would have publicly called her out on a Cruise Critic thread. That just seems a little mean spirited.

Well to be honest after looking at the blog in question I do think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. When I first read your post I thought that someone had literally copied your photo album and passed it off as their own. But in looking at the blog in question it's clear to see that the vast majority of the photos depict her own family and are different from yours. I'm guessing the three photos in question she borrowed from you depicted things they saw on their tour but neglected to photograph. It happens. Now she should have asked, but really, I don't think I would be so upset about the use of three borrowed photos in her entire blog. And I don't think I would have publicly called her out on her Cruise Critic thread. That just seems a little mean spirited.

It's not mean-spirited. She holds intellectual rights to those three photos. It doesn't matter the ratio of her photos to theirs. Copyright laws are strict. People get kicked out of some universities for even paraphrasing someone's words out of a book without giving appropriate credit. I think it was good that she mentioned this on Cruise Critic because most people DON'T know about basic copyright laws unless they're in the writing or design/arts industry. People should be aware of this, as lots of Cruise Critic-goers double as bloggers and reviewers who often supplement their work with photos.

It's not mean-spirited. She holds intellectual rights to those three photos. It doesn't matter the ratio of her photos to theirs. Copyright laws are strict. People get kicked out of some universities for even paraphrasing someone's words out of a book without giving appropriate credit. I think it was good that she mentioned this on Cruise Critic because most people DON'T know about basic copyright laws unless they're in the writing or design/arts industry. People should be aware of this, as lots of Cruise Critic-goers double as bloggers and reviewers who often supplement their work with photos.

I don't disagree about the rights, however, if you look at the blog in question it is pretty clear that she likely just borrowed those three photos to fill in where she might have missed getting a couple of shots during their vacation. The blogger in question is really focusing on her family and her little girl and their personal experience. I'm sure she didn't intend to be malicious and perhaps didn't even realize what she did was wrong. I just think it might have been better to have addressed the matter privately through the email address on her blog as opposed to publicly humiliating her on Cruise Critic.

I'd be mad. So many people don't understand copyright. Just because you put a photo on the Internet does not mean anyone can steal it for their own personal use. It would be nice if she had asked you first for permission. Even without asking for permission, though, she should have given you credit or at least not mislead people into thinking she had taken them.

Froufie- assuming the blog is an actual website not a blogspot blog or something you can get their contact info by doing a Whois on the domain. Go to Whois.net and put the domain name in. Unless they have paid to make it private you will get name- email- address and phone number. There should even be an abuse email address. I would contact them by email or phone if needed and tell them to take them down.

This happened to me with a bunch of concert pictures. I posted the pictures on Facebook and someone I know took a good 30 pictures of mine and mixed them into her album which her pictures were obviously poor quality. I'm not a photographer or anything but it kinda ticked me off. It wasn't a big enough deal to call her out or anything.

Froufie ... on one of those sites that people here tell others to look at the cabin pictures.

Someone borrowed my pictures I posted on CC and sent them in. I blame the site too.

I guess there is no way to know who took the pictures. and others told me once you post the pictures, they are public, not yours.

And those people are wrong.

who is right?? seems wrong to me to steal my pictures.

I will add that everyone on CC said I was in the wrong to object, that once you post the pictures they are common property. I call it stealing and wouldnt ever recommend that site and will call them that they stole my pictures. Its one thing if I choose to send them in ..its another if they come here and steal the pictures. For all I know the site itself is the one who stole them.

You are right. They are your pictures... even if you post them. Simply because someone posts something on the internet does not make it "common property" (whatever that is.)

Rats- just found your post with the offending blog and see it is blogspot :(

Actually I believe I have found the offender's email address - but in reality and as mentioned don't want to make a federal case out of this (pun intended? :D)....

I know it's only a few pics but I do think it was inappropriate to pass them off as your own on your personal blog including family vacation pics etc...yes credit should have been given or permission granted! :mad:

Perhaps I should just email her a link to this thread? :):eek:

Well to be honest after looking at the blog in question I do think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. When I first read your post I thought that someone had literally copied your photo album and passed it off as their own. But in looking at the blog in question it's clear to see that the vast majority of the photos depict her own family and are different from yours. I'm guessing the three photos in question she borrowed from you depicted things they saw on their tour but neglected to photograph. It happens. Now she should have asked, but really, I don't think I would be so upset about the use of three borrowed photos in her entire blog. And I don't think I would have publicly called her out on a Cruise Critic thread. That just seems a little mean spirited.

How is she making a mountain out of a molehill? If you ask me, she's taking this all very well! She was curious if people would be upset or flattered. She's said she wouldn't take any legal action to get the photos removed. She was put off by it and rightfully so but she's handled this all very rationally. I might add, she's handled it much more rationally than I would have.

Mean spirited? Your post telling someone they blow things out of proportion and then calling them mean spirited seems rather mean spirited and blown out of proportion to me.

Nobody is saying that the woman knew what she was doing was wrong. We're just saying that it IS wrong. We're saying that the OP is protected by copyright law should she choose to enforce it.

I think the OP asking this here is going to benefit a lot of people who maybe had no idea that this was even illegal. It brings awareness to an issue. Period.

P.S. The OP DID contact the other person and nicely asked for them to be removed and no action has been taken by the other person to remedy this situation which is a PROBLEM. And P.S.S. I don't care if you think I am mean. :D

Archived