Special Moments on the Holland America Line

RevNeal

We can all recall wonderful events aboard ship. Sometimes they're private, sometimes they're with our family and friends, and sometimes they're when we get to be present and participate in a special time for someone else. I've had the joy of being part of many such events aboard the ships of the Holland America Line, but few match the amazing thrill that I had back in November 2011 aboard the Noordam when I was honored to baptize a 1 year old angel name Magdeleine.

baptism03.jpg

Magdeleine's parents and grandparents live on multiple continents, so they don't get together often; but, when they do, they like to recognize the special moments in their lives. That was the case when it came to the baptism of their newest born girl. The only time they'd come together since the girl's birth was aboard the Noordam for this transatlantic cruise. So, when the family contacted me to ask if I would baptize little Magdeleine, it was my pleasure to say "yes." We met on several occasions to discuss the meaning of baptism, also called "Christening" by some Christian communions, and of the duties and responsibilities of the parents, grandparents, and Godparents. And, on the day appointed, we processed to the Noordam's bridge, where Captain Scott had made all the preparations.

It is an long-standing tradition that baptisms at sea are performed using the ship's bell as the baptismal font. To prepare it for this purpose the Captain had the ship's bell cleaned and painted on the inside. He also had the remains of a broken deck-chair crafted into a frame to hold the bell upside down, and water was poured into the bell for the service.

baptism01.jpg

We gathered around the Bell, with the Captain and the Guest Relations Manager and several other officers of the watch, and we first blessed the water and then baptized little Magdeleine Amber in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

baptism02.jpg

I then provided the family with a Baptismal certificate on which I had the ship's navigator write down the coordinates of the Noordam at the time of the baptism.

baptism05.jpg

The next day the Captain had the bell cleaned of its inner coat of paint and then Magdeleine's name and the date of her baptism inscribed on on the inside of the bell for all time.

baptism04.jpg

Forever, this little angel will be a part of the Noordam. And, it was my joy and humble honor to participate in the event.

You can find Captain John Scott's report on this on the Holland America Blog HERE.

What wonderful occasions and events have you been blessed to be a part of aboard the beautiful ships of the Holland America Line?

What a beautiful Baptism, ceremony, tradition and everlasting memory.

Rev. Neal thank you for sharing this beautiful story and Holland America ritual and Rites at sea with all of us. Precious.

We are so Blessed is our Main Event.

Wow, that is absolutely wonderful! Thank you for sharing the event and the photos. I appreciate the reminder for us to think of the spiritual moments we can have while sailing the seas. They happen frequently, right? We just have to be aware of them. Thanks again, RevNeal for what you do.

coka

Some of our very best moments on board the HAL ships were times we shared with the pastors and priests. Last year on the Rotterdam as we were headin for Peru the CD (think his name was something or other 'James'..he was quite the best, btw) thought it'd be neat to see if he could get a bunch of couples together on the midships pool deck to 'reaffirm' their wedding vows. This 'ceremony' was held on valentine's day. I always said I would never partake in this type of ceremony...never. Well, the protestant minister talked me into it. Along with dozens of other couples, the wife an I solemnly exchanged vows, again. Hard to express what this meant to me and my wife. After 40 + years of marriage. Was so overcome could not get the words out. Anyway, thanks HAL for providing this very meaningful service to your customers. And a special thanks to all the men and women willing to serve as our ministers during their vacations as well!

Greg-of all the special moments you have had on HAL ships, this had the be the most special of all. I know it is the one I will always associate with you, even though I wasn't there. It is a true memorable event for all who were present.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. :)

I was there in 2006 when someone we all know was involved in the "Blessing of the Bell" ceremony......;)

You were there? I wish we'd met. We actually got to meet Rev Neal (Greg) and Brian (besfp) which was wonderful. :)

What a wonderful story. We will be on the Noordam on Monday and maybe Capt. Scott will let us see little Magdelene's bell. Thank you.

Go to the bow and you will see Noordam's beautiful bell in place. It is always on the bow of all HAL ships. We always visit every ship's bell when aboard HAL ships.

RevNeal, thank you for sharing that lovely story. I was on the Noordam TA with you last fall and I remember seeing those two girls around the ship and hearing the captain talk about celebrating his first baptismal service at sea. So nice to hear about it from those involved. It looks like it was a beautiful and very special ceremony.

Thank you, Rev. Greg, for sharing the beautiful story of Magdeleine's baptism. How wonderful to hear the rituals and traditions of the sea.

And I will never board another HAL ship without seeking out the ship's bell on the bow.

Thanks again!

Archived