Pricing

FreesiaE

• 1 month later...
WOW, this means a 5% to about 12% increase in cruise fares for many of us who get TA rebates. Just looked at the prolific TA's website and absolutely nothing posted regarding this apparent price increase for Regent and Oceania which goes straight to the TA's pocket.

Doesn't say how it might apply to cruises already booked but, appears to mean after May 1 if you cruise, you won't be gettting the expected rebate check. Should be interesting to see how TA's handle already booked cruises with agreements to rebate money vs. Regent promising financial issues to TA's who rebate??

The only thing that the new Regent rebate policy really says is that a Travel Agency can not advertise or promote giving a rebate to the general public. So what the agency and the customer agree to in booking a selected cruise is not effected really, as long as the customer pays the base price set by Regent at final payment time.

The structure of the agency we have used for a long time changed last year, so I have been looking. After talking with Regent and now five other travel agencies about a future cruise, I found that there is base price and it is the one Regent, after all the "2 for 1 and other "discounts" are subtracted but before the "free extras", the ones you can get credit for...hotel, air, visas, are added. Everyone wants me to pay about the same amount, but some are adding really nice OBC up to about 6% plus cash back that reduce the price to me in the end.

We don't use a TA in planning our vacations...just for setting up and doing a cruise booking. So a good deal on any given cruise, an agent who is easy to reach by phone and one that does what he says he will do, is my driving force. I can read the Regent or any cruiseline website and booket for ship informartion and after 30 years know what to look for in the right cabin for us even on a new ship. CC is just the icing on the cake!

As a "newbie" to Regent, can someone explain what the most common uses are for "spending" Onboard Credits (OBC) if most everything is "included" anyway? Non-complimentary booze? Cigars in the Connoisseur Club? Internet minutes (if you don't already have "free" Internet)? Non-complimentary excursions?

Secondly, How does one actually "earn" these OBC's? Can you only get OBC's if you book your cruise through a TA? Thanks for the info. Regards to all.

In terms of the platinum card, it has to be the Amex "branded" rather than an Amex card through a company like Costco. In addition to receiving $150/person OBC on Regent, holders of this card are able to visit several airport lounges. The benefits are great if you are a traveler. The card cost is $450/year (unless it has gone up recently), so if you only cruise once a year, the price may outweigh the benefits.

In terms of the platinum card, it has to be the Amex "branded" rather than an Amex card through a company like Costco. In addition to receiving $150/person OBC on Regent, holders of this card are able to visit several airport lounges. The benefits are great if you are a traveler. The card cost is $450/year (unless it has gone up recently), so if you only cruise once a year, the price may outweigh the benefits.

I'm not sure if this is general knowledge but it was new info to me. If you are a Plat Amex holder, you can extend your benefits to others traveling with you. I think they must put their fare on any Amex to be eligible. I'm sure there is a limited to the number of cabins that can take advantage of the benefit.

I'm not sure if this is general knowledge but it was new info to me. If you are a Plat Amex holder, you can extend your benefits to others traveling with you. I think they must put their fare on any Amex to be eligible. I'm sure there is a limited to the number of cabins that can take advantage of the benefit.

Can you still get the AMEX OBC even if you don't use their agency to book the cruise?

In the past, I had an agent give me the same amount as I could get from AMEX, but it was just because the other agency wanted the booking. Of course, I still used the card to pay for the cruise, so were they just passing along something I was already entitled too being a card holder?

Can you still get the AMEX OBC even if you don't use their agency to book the cruise?

In the past, I had an agent give me the same amount as I could get from AMEX, but it was just because the other agency wanted the booking. Of course, I still used the card to pay for the cruise, so were they just passing along something I was already entitled too being a card holder?

Yes, you don't even have to put the deposit on the platinum amex, you can put it on any amex. For us, on our next two cruises, the amex benefits are above and beyond what the agent is offering.

I've always gotten $300 OBC for using the Amex Plat card. Recently, however, our TA has become affiliated with the "Signature" group, which offers $400 OBC, but not to be combined with the Amex credit, so you have to pick one or the other. On its face, the choice is not difficult, but I don't quite understand what is going on.

I've always gotten $300 OBC for using the Amex Plat card. Recently, however, our TA has become affiliated with the "Signature" group, which offers $400 OBC, but not to be combined with the Amex credit, so you have to pick one or the other. On its face, the choice is not difficult, but I don't quite understand what is going on.

That is the same thing that happened to us. I also think it is why my TA is not as generous as before. A couple of times AMEX has been the better deal all the way around, maybe? because the TA group wasn't offering anything on that cruise.

I believe the confusion stems as to where the OBC is coming from. A TA consortium or AMEX credit for that matter may be coming from the cruiseline, not the TA. If so, the cruiseline will most likely not allow the combination.

Host Dan

I believe the confusion stems as to where the OBC is coming from. A TA consortium or AMEX credit for that matter may be coming from the cruiseline, not the TA. If so, the cruiseline will most likely not allow the combination.

Host Dan

Thanks Dan,

That makes sence based on what has happened on the last three cruises, two of which have had consortium OBC. We haven't been able to get OBC from Amex on those.

Of course, now that AMEX points don't transfer to United, there is not the push to use that card for the big purchases.

Host Dan

Thanks for clarifying!

We also like the Platinum cards for the benefits give in addition to the Cruise bennies. You get a $200 of airline fess refunded from the airline you select (e.g. lounge cost, food or drinks on the plane, gift cards). Also, we both got the Global Entry added to our passport, AMX-P refunds the $100 fee. Now, the best offer for the AMX-P card is 25,000 MR points (worth about $250) when you get approved for the card. For lounge access (American, Delta) when flying with them, US Airways (whether you fly with them or not. Moreover, the AMX-P cardholder is also give a Priority Pass card which gets you into over 600 airport lounges throughout the world. For example, on return from Barbados last year (priority pass gets you in the lounge--no Admiral club or Sky Club in Barbados) We also got access to a very nice priority pass lounge in Istanbul in April.

In sum, the $300 SBC, $200 airline fee reimbursement, global entry refund ($100), priority pass and 25K MR points (value, $250) make this card a must have in each of our wallets and for us worth a couple of hundred dollars more than the $450 annual fee.

It's no longer a must for my wallet, the Canadian version. The fee when I renew in August has risen to $699. They have a once-a-year $200 rebate for travel purchases, but it must be booked through Amex Travel. And it appears that they have abandoned the cruise OBC's in favour of more extensive hotel loyalty programs. I'm out. I liked that I could convert my rewards to my FF program, I liked being able to bypass security lines at Canadian airports, and I loved the Plaza Premium lounges, again at Canadian airports.

I read that the benefits in Canada decreased but am a bit surprised that the fee went up so dramatically. Does not seem that Amex is looking for new customers in Canada. We also use our card for our Gobal Entry passes -- one of the best ways to bypass the long lines when you arrive in a U.S. airport.

In my experience, UK TAs do not seem to offer rebates at all and only a few offer OBCs and then only on some cruises.

But, despite trying for 3 years now, I cannot find a deal from a US-based TA that gives a lower bottom line (even with rebate + OBC) than the best quote from a UK TA - irrespective of forex fulctuations.

Presumably the explanation lies in the way commissions are structured - but if so why the differences?

Just wondering whether other UK residents or other non-US based CCers have the same experience?

What about the bonus discount, Seven Seas Society discounts, and early booking discount Regent's agents provide? Can a TA provide those too? I've also received emails touting a cheaper fare but it does not include air. If we don't take air, we get discount from Regent. I've always booked with Regent agent because of those discounts and her good service. It sounds as though I should find a TA who specializes in Regent and get OBC, rebates, or other incentives. Thank you.

What about the bonus discount, Seven Seas Society discounts, and early booking discount Regent's agents provide? Can a TA provide those too? I've also received emails touting a cheaper fare but it does not include air. If we don't take air, we get discount from Regent. I've always booked with Regent agent because of those discounts and her good service. It sounds as though I should find a TA who specializes in Regent and get OBC, rebates, or other incentives. Thank you.

Yes -- TA's take care of all the discounts including the on board discount. After booking onboard, the booking (with all the discounts) gets transferred to your TA. I can not think of a reason not to book with a TA.

Yes, you can go direct to a TAgency/TA and get the exact same discounts that the Regent person is giving, every one! You do not need to book with the Regent TA frist. I have just checked that out with several different TAs and the Regent TA. The air upgrade or discount for not using it and the "free" Hotel are the same discount if you opt out. Everyone I talked to is offering nearly the same "cruise only" base price after all is subtracted.

The difference is the good TAs are offering OBC and maybe the rebates. The Regent agent offerred no OBC credit. You just need to check around if you want a better deal than Regent direct.

Archived