Will PRINCESS change their loyalty program?

KruzPrincess

I remember when it was unlimited Internet access for platinums and elites before Princess limited the number of minutes.

Now I don't even use their stupid free minutes, okay -- maybe 10 minutes worth on the last cruise.

The only perk I truly like is priority boarding. Outside of that, they can strip all the rest of the benefits away. I'll probably never make it to the Elite since I keep trying too many other cruiselines.

It's kind of hard for me to remain loyal to Princess when they keep taking away more and more things that I used to like. There is still a lot to like, but there are other cruiselines that are slightly better.

Quite frankly, Princess bores me these days. Maybe by next year I will have changed my tune, at least when the Royal Princess debuts

I remember when it was unlimited Internet access for platinums and elites before Princess limited the number of minutes.

Now I don't even use their stupid free minutes, okay -- maybe 10 minutes worth on the last cruise.

The only perk I truly like is priority boarding. Outside of that, they can strip all the rest of the benefits away. I'll probably never make it to the Elite since I keep trying too many other cruiselines.

It's kind of hard for me to remain loyal to Princess when they keep taking away more and more things that I used to like. There is still a lot to like, but there are other cruiselines that are slightly better.

Quite frankly, Princess bores me these days. Maybe by next year I will have changed my tune, at least when the Royal Princess debuts

Priority boarding, depending on what itinerary your sailing, can be in name only. Last October (Ruby T/A) there were so many platinum/elites (plus suites), they ran out of priority boarding numbers. They gave out high numbers they said were priority numbers. This created massive issues as non-priority passengers with lower numbers were getting upset that higher numbered boarders before them. We were sorta early, and it still took over an hour to board (platinum status).....

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Priority boarding, depending on what itinerary your sailing, can be in name only. Last October (Ruby T/A) there were so many platinum/elites (plus suites), they ran out of priority boarding numbers. They gave out high numbers they said were priority numbers. This created massive issues as non-priority passengers with lower numbers were getting upset that higher numbered boarders before them. We were sorta early, and it still took over an hour to board (platinum status).....

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, I know what you mean -- we've been on 13 Princess cruises and have never had an issue with the priority boarding since cruise number two, due to being in a suite on cruise number two, kept our docs from cruise two to priority board on cruises three and four and finally reaching platinum on cruise 5 or 6? At any rate, you could say we've priority boarded for all but our first princess cruise. one cruise last year had at least 1,500 elite/platinums combined and it took a good 20 minutes of calling elites before they boarded platinums. At any rate, it was still much quicker than having had no priority status. Guess we've been lucky. I have heard of cruises with majority platinums/elites, so you're right, the perk really isn't that much of a perk I suppose, regarding pre-boarding.

Sorry the perks don't make you happy. At the Platinum level, the only real financial benefit is the internet credit which you don't use. Not sure what benefits you mean have gone away. Yes, Princess changed from unlimited internet to a limited amount, but it is well over 10 minutes for even the shortest cruise.

I just went by days it takes (100) to go from Platinum to Elite. It was just to show it takes a lot of cruises to make up the days if not going on long cruises. 7 day cruise X 14 cruises = 98 days. I can't take advantage of the program because I live in the Midwest & airfare for a short cruise would be ridiculous.

I actually don't know now what point I was trying to make. :o I was just disheartened reading all the posts from Elites who want the program changed because some people who live on the west coast or in Florida may make it to Elite by taking short cruises.

I don't see why it matters so much to them? To keep their Elite-ist group more exclusive? Very discouraging there is such an attitude.:(

Okay, I see where you got your numbers now. I thought you were going from the first cruise to elite.

I do not and have never lived in an area to take short cruises to get to a higher status quicker. Our upcoming Alaska cruise will be the shortest cruise we've ever taken.

I believe I have an interesting idea about change to the Princess loyalty program. I have read a lot of chatting here among Elite level travelers. Anyway, since Elites have attained such a high level, it seems that Elites are accustomed to cruising with Princess. It may make more sense for Princess to improve the perks for Gold and Platinum members. Cruisers in these groups are just beginning to show their loyalty so it may make more sense to sweeten the perk pool for these travelers. Elite travelers have already shown that they are loyal to Princess.

Another thought comes to mind. I am with an airline loyalty program that limits the recognition of loyal travelers. There are only a limited number of seats on any particular flight by class of service that can be used by cashing in frequent flier miles. Not everyone with the necessary frequent flier miles can cash their miles in for any flight they like. You can purchase a ticket for the flight you want, but you may not be able to use your miles to purchase a seat.

What if the Princess loyalty program were changed to honor only a certain number of passengers within any loyalty level. You can book anything you like. The first X% of bookings for a cabin type could enjoy the perks in their loyalty level. Anyone else in that cabin type simplify gets a great cruise. Everyone on the cruise continues to build more cruise credits in the loyalty program.

next thing the laundry will be limited because people abuse the perk, like bringing their washing from home and the Tux to get drycleaned on the first day

Since it the only place some people wear the tux, it must have been dirty from their last cruise, so why not have it cleaned ASAP?

next thing the laundry will be limited because people abuse the perk, like bringing their washing from home and the Tux to get drycleaned on the first day
Since these are things most people don't do, I don't think this is abuse since they're just using the perk they've earned. To me, it's not much different from having my clothes laundered before packing to go home. I earned this perk. As I said above, I think abuse is when someone sends out laundry for a non-Elite, whether they're sharing a cabin or in multiple cabins. The reality is that laundry will be limited because of the sheer numbers of Elite. Abuse is real but since it's been around for years with no limits to the laundry perk, I don't think that will prompt a change.

If Princess decides to limit the laundry, as they did with the internet, I would have no problem. I doubt the laundry we send out would exceed the limit.

Some people have made a few comments about a status above Elite. I have to admit I think one of the best loyalty programs I've seen is what Oceania does. It appears they do everything by number of cruises (and I don't think they have cruises less than 7 nights). Here is a list of just a few of their benefits (you can see it at the back of their brochures)....

Cruises 5 - 9 (Bronze Level)

$200 shipboard credit

Cruises 10-14 (Silver Level)

$400 shipboard credit

Complimentary gratuities

Cruises 15-19 (Gold Level)

$500 shipboard credit

Two complimentary Canyon Ranch Spa Treatments

Complimentary gratuities

Cruise 20 (Platinum Level)

Free Cruise (restrictions apply)

Complimentary gratuities

Two complimentary half-day shore excursions

... there is also a Diamond Level, Elite Level, Pinnacle Level and Founder's Club Level

Basically every 20 cruises is a free cruise. If you get to cruise 100, then you get a free cruise in an Owner's Suite.

Now I know they are more expensive than Princess and this is probably why they have such elaborate benefits. We are sailing on them the first time this November.

Since these are things most people don't do, I don't think this is abuse since they're just using the perk they've earned. To me, it's not much different from having my clothes laundered before packing to go home. I earned this perk. As I said above, I think abuse is when someone sends out laundry for a non-Elite, whether they're sharing a cabin or in multiple cabins. The reality is that laundry will be limited because of the sheer numbers of Elite. Abuse is real but since it's been around for years with no limits to the laundry perk, I don't think that will prompt a change.

Wonder when the laundry limits will happen.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

I assume these OBC benefits are per person?

I would have assumed that too, but I don't think so now that I've read the fine print.

I just checked my brochure and the fine print states "All Oceania Club benefits listed are per stateroom, based on double occupancy." There is also something in there that basically says you can't cash out your shipboard credit.

Free cruise cannot exceed 14 days in length. But you can prorate for additional days. Oh and it looks like their free cruise includes air because it states that you cannot get the air credit if you decide to do your own air.

Now if Princess thinks of adding a category above Elite, maybe they should consider a few items that Oceania is doing. Just food for thought.

I just checked my brochure and the fine print states "All Oceania Club benefits listed are per stateroom, based on double occupancy." There is also something in there that basically says you can't cash out your shipboard credit.
When you look at it that way, it's really not that great unless Oceana also allows OBC to be combinable and has stockholder and FCC OBC in addition to TA and other OBCs. For instance, for my March Star cruise, I had almost $600 in OBC because of combinable OBC, and that was just for me. Only $25 of that was because I had cruised 21x on Princess. And, that doesn't include the Internet package and free laundry I had. It was a hot, humid cruise so I sent out quite a bit.

What's the difference if you have it cleaned and pressed on the first day you arrive or have it cleaned and pressed after the second formal night? Either way you are using a perk that you earned. What I don't understand is how people come from home with a bag of dirty laundry? I can't imagine that many do this anyway. I work in retail. The sales for underwear and socks always spike the end of June through the 4th of July and then again during back to school. This is the peak vacation week which tells me that not only do people wash their cloths or buy new cloths before vacation they even take the extra step of purchasing new under garments.

Some people have made a few comments about a status above Elite. I have to admit I think one of the best loyalty programs I've seen is what Oceania does. It appears they do everything by number of cruises (and I don't think they have cruises less than 7 nights). Here is a list of just a few of their benefits (you can see it at the back of their brochures)....

Cruises 5 - 9 (Bronze Level)

$200 shipboard credit

Cruises 10-14 (Silver Level)

$400 shipboard credit

Complimentary gratuities

Cruises 15-19 (Gold Level)

$500 shipboard credit

Complimentary gratuities

Cruise 20 (Platinum Level)

Free Cruise (restrictions apply)

Complimentary gratuities

Two complimentary half-day shore excursions

... there is also a Diamond Level, Elite Level, Pinnacle Level and Founder's Club Level

Basically every 20 cruises is a free cruise. If you get to cruise 100, then you get a free cruise in an Owner's Suite.

Now I know they are more expensive than Princess and this is probably why they have such elaborate benefits. We are sailing on them the first time this November.

Cruises over 25 days count as 2 cruises. The paid gratuities are more important to me than the little perks the other lines give and OBCs on Oceania get larger with more cruises. oceania is not for everyone but IMO it is great for us. we will also be back on her new ship in November for a B2B.

~Doris~

I was reading over the Carnival 2011 Annual report and they had a lot of good figures on their costs per Available Lower Berth Days - i.e. 2 ALBDs = 1 Cabin sailing 1 day at sea. Given the average costs, revenue and profit, I think the elite pool would have to be pretty significant for it to even make a dent in their financials.

Most of the perks have a very small marginal cost (though, given the onboard mark-up, a larger marginal value). I'd be amazed if the marginal cost on the minibar is over $10, and that's given once per cabin per cruise. The laundry marginal cost is minimal - likely less than 10% of the list price. The internet - I know the ship purchases some connectivity based on volume, not time, but I also know that MCP, which runs the internet cafes, sells internet vouchers to TAs to give as a customer premium for somewhere between 10 and 20 cents per minute, based on volume. I imagine if they're selling to Princess, there would probably be a bigger discount, but even at 10 cents a minute, a current one week/150 minute perk would cost Princess a grand total of $15.

In the grand scheme of customer acquisition and loyalty, especially in a service-based industry where clients plunk down per diems of $100 to $300, the cost of the elite benefits is chump change. Oh, they could try trimming them, I'm sure, but it would have an impact on elite sales, which might not be compensated by regular cabin sales, and when you get into flash promotions to fill those empty cabins, you've already lost way more than the benefits would have cost in the first place.

At least that's my take on it, YMMV.

Of course, the expensive part is dealing with a room full of self-important people, who bemoan how crowded the disembarkation lounge is now, and how hard they have to push and shove to get their dried out pastry and instant coffee. :) It reminds of the time I saw a distinguished older gentleman, impeccably turned out, having a temper tantrum in the BA Concorde Lounge at Heathrow because the young lady passing out the caviar topped canapes had run out. :rolleyes:

Of course, the expensive part is dealing with a room full of self-important people, who bemoan how crowded the disembarkation lounge is now, and how hard they have to push and shove to get their dried out pastry and instant coffee. :) It reminds of the time I saw a distinguished older gentleman, impeccably turned out, having a temper tantrum in the BA Concorde Lounge at Heathrow because the young lady passing out the caviar topped canapes had run out. :rolleyes:

Well, now that you've made me think about it... We've gotten dirty looks on our cruises because we are in the nice disembarkation lounge (we are Platinum - 84 days on Princess). It doesn't help that I still get carded for drinks and look young. We are in our 30's, love to cruise, and sometimes feel like other people look down on us like we shouldn't be there. But we also felt this on other lines such as RCCI and Regent so it is not just isolated to Princess. I had a woman VP of a US company try to recruit me for a job on Regent... while I think her husband despised us.

The shortest cruise we've taken with Princess is 7 days. The longest 15. We've gotten engaged on Princess, married with them, and spent a couple anniversaries with them. But despite the looks, they will not ruin my cruise. To be honest, I think we've met some great older people over the years. We enjoy talking with people older than us if they are willing to chat; we always learn a lot! :)

It reminds of the time I saw a distinguished older gentleman, impeccably turned out, having a temper tantrum in the BA Concorde Lounge at Heathrow because the young lady passing out the caviar topped canapes had run out. :rolleyes:

Poor man. I do hate it when that happens.

I also completely agree with your statements about the marginal cost of Elite benefits. People have for years valued them in the $100s, but, of course, the ship's cost for them is far less. And, frankly, if I had to purchase them at Princess prices, their extra revenue from me wouldn't be much. BUT, I still think they will be cut at some point, regardless of short cruises and Elites with 75 days. It's inevitable.

Where the real Princess value is for me is in all the combinable OBCs, all of which all available to those eligible with only two cruises. That's where the big dollar savings are, and there's no doubt that there will be cutbacks there too (as has already happened with FCC OBCs).

Have we considered that Princess just needs to build it's loyal passengers from a younger demographic? shorter cruises would definitely attract them. They have the stats, they know exactly how many potential years of cruising their Elite Passengers have left.

Have we considered that Princess just needs to build it's loyal passengers from a younger demographic? shorter cruises would definitely attract them. They have the stats, they know exactly how many potential years of cruising their Elite Passengers have left.

I hope I have lots of cruising years left.. :D:eek::D

Where the real Princess value is for me is in all the combinable OBCs, all of which all available to those eligible with only two cruises. That's where the big dollar savings are, and there's no doubt that there will be cutbacks there too (as has already happened with FCC OBCs).

Maybe they will change it similar to P&O where they give discounts from 5% upwards on "on board spend" after any OBC has been used up. This is good for those that spend money on tours and drinks which of course the ships encourage.

Archived