Avoid JFK on return from abroad!

DonRobertoSanJuan

If JFK is not your final destination, coming from abroad, try at all cost to fly through another port of entry! Arriving into JFK is a nightmare.

You can expect to stand in the passport lines for close to an hour, then check customs and recheck your luggage. Now it starts all over again and you may spend another hour or more, going through screening once again. Oh and if you bought any liquids in the tax free overseas, you better had put that in your checked luggage or you will loose it.:eek:

Of course, the informational video from the US border service so nicely shown before arrival, does not mention that!:D

Oh and if you bought any liquids in the tax free overseas, you better had put that in your checked luggage or you will loose it.:eek:

Of course, the informational video from the US border service so nicely shown before arrival, does not mention that!:D

Why should it have to? You have had access to your bags and you are passing through security once again. Any time this happens, you must abide by the 3-1-1 liquid rule. Anything larger must be packed up in your checked bag.

If JFK is not your final destination, coming from abroad, try at all cost to fly through another port of entry! Arriving into JFK is a nightmare.

You can expect to stand in the passport lines for close to an hour, then check customs and recheck your luggage. Now it starts all over again and you may spend another hour or more, going through screening once again. Oh and if you bought any liquids in the tax free overseas, you better had put that in your checked luggage or you will loose it.:eek:

More times than not we had good transit thru JFK. Only the last time it was long because another full plane landed before us. As for booze/liquids, we always open our bags to wrap and pack before reclosing to take bags thru customs and re-depositing them just outside customs exit for our reconnecting flight.

As always, the screening is just like all the US airports we've been to - some long queues, some not long. We're just used to all aspects/joys of travelling. No two travels are the same.

We've found other points of entry just like JFK, only Miami has longer waits.

I have had good experiences at JFK and also some not so great. But I can say that about many other airports I've flown into to clear Unites States customs/immigration and I can say this about many airports around the world.

It's all the luck of the draw when it comes to whether you will have a fast/short or long line.

Keith

Another rant.

Could we just make a sticky titled: "Avoid (insert name) airport! It's terrible". And then all these could be filed in one place. (Answer: No....because ranters never bother with stickies or search. Nor most anyone else either!)

Sounds like someone who had delays at customs and security and is blaming it on the airport. You notice, there is no mention of the airline or terminal at JFK that had such terrible service. Just a blanket condemnation of the whole airport. Note to OP: Was that at T1? T3? T4? etc.

And for liquids....how much you want to bet he bought liquor, didn't put it into checked baggage and it was confiscated? But it's someone else's fault -- he couldn't be bothered to check on regulations and procedures.

Yawn.

I can name at least 6 airports that MIGHT create the same chaos. It has much to do with the number of international flights arriving at the same time.

That's why I never book a connection with less than 3 hours after an international flight, and even at that we have still missed a couple of connections.

I'd bet we all have a list of airports to avoid!!!

Anytime you come back the the US from another country, you need to know the rules about liquids, know you will have to get your luggage and then recheck them if you have another flight to get home.

Sometimes it is quick sometimes it a long, long line.

I always think about my flight day to and from as a crap shoot.

It is always harder when you are returning from a great vacation then on your first day of a vacation trying to get to your destination.

If you think JFK is bad, try LAX on a busy day :eek: All international airports, and plenty of domestic ones, can be a zoo when there are lots of impatient people trying to get from A to B. It's all part of the joy of modern travel. Allow plenty of time for your connection, keep calm and carry on :)

I found JFK to be a breeze last Fall coming in from FCO. But I only had carry-on bags. In fact, I came up to the gate area from customs/immigration and an earlier ATL flight was right there & had seats open, so I got home earlier than expected. Much faster than the times we've arrived into ATL from Chile or Argentina...with the other 5-6 international arrivals first thing in the morning.

Travel often comes with airport hassles, but the good news is, it means you're traveling. :)

While I agree it can be hit or miss at JFK, it is one of the most busy international arrival airports in the US. The point I was trying to make, was to avoid having to fly through these airports when connecting to final destinations. In my case, I should have flown through Madrid and have San Juan as my first and final destination in the US instead of JFK so as not to have to go through all the re-checking, re-screening etc. In Europe you don't have this problem. If you arrive from the US at a connecting airport, your luggage will continue to your final destination. I fail to understand the reason for re-screening, which like most of the post 911 changes makes little sense.

While I agree it can be hit or miss at JFK, it is one of the most busy international arrival airports in the US. The point I was trying to make, was to avoid having to fly through these airports when connecting to final destinations. In my case, I should have flown through Madrid and have San Juan as my first and final destination in the US instead of JFK so as not to have to go through all the re-checking, re-screening etc. In Europe you don't have this problem. If you arrive from the US at a connecting airport, your luggage will continue to your final destination. I fail to understand the reason for re-screening, which like most of the post 911 changes makes little sense.

In the end figure out what works best for you but realize that no airport is perfect and that one time there can be no line and another time a long line. My priority is other factors from taking as few flights as possible to having a long layover if my flight involves changing planes to flying specific airlines.

Having your luggage rechecked is a good idea in my opinion.

Keith

If you arrive from the US at a connecting airport, your luggage will continue to your final destination. I fail to understand the reason for re-screening, which like most of the post 911 changes makes little sense.

You answered your own question/comment. In Europe, you don't touch your luggage until final destination. In the USA, first arrival point is where Customs is done. At that point, you have had possession of your luggage in the non secure area. Would be VERY, VERY easy to walk outside, put a bomb in your luggage and get back on a plane if there was no additional security screening. Or even easier, just swap luggage with the bomb maker. He leaves the airport with your clothes, you take the bomb.

Putting a bomb in your luggage is no different than stuffing all your duty free liquor in your luggage at US Customs entry point to avoid it being confiscated at security. Your checked luggage is screened before it goes on a connecting flight just as you and your carry on is screened before you get on another flight.

Next time you have to take a flight from Europe to the USA, investigate flying through Ireland. Pre-clearance for flights originating in Ireland to the USA. NO long lines at immigration. Grab your luggage and go wherever you need to go.

While some of the 911 changes make no sense and irritate the heck out of everyone, THIS ONE makes all the sense in the world.

You answered your own question/comment. In Europe, you don't touch your luggage until final destination. In the USA, first arrival point is where Customs is done. At that point, you have had possession of your luggage in the non secure area. Would be VERY, VERY easy to walk outside, put a bomb in your luggage and get back on a plane if there was no additional security screening. Or even easier, just swap luggage with the bomb maker. He leaves the airport with your clothes, you take

Next time you have to take a flight from Europe to the USA, investigate flying through Ireland. Pre-clearance for flights originating in Ireland to the USA. NO long lines at immigration. Grab your luggage and go wherever you need to go.

While some of the 911 changes make no sense and irritate the heck out of everyone, THIS ONE makes all the sense in the world.

Having taken advantage of this and routed DUB JFK in the past, can someone explain the origin of this unique facility?

Regards

New Salt

Having taken advantage of this and routed DUB JFK in the past, can someone explain the origin of this unique facility?

Regards

New Salt

It's not really unique per se - several of them exist in Canada (10 or so), and a few in the Caribbean (Nassau...I forget where else), as well as Dublin and Shannon in Ireland.

I believe it was set up as a test case and has just sort of stuck around. I know it's expensive for the US to operate, since they have to pay for many US citizens to live and work in a foreign country, so that's why there probably won't be additional ones set up in places like Ireland (Canada, obviously, makes a lot more sense).

I've been rescreened outside the US too - NRT, AMS pop to mind. AMS is planeside, so I understand it's because I'm flying to the US, but at NRT, all transit passengers are rescreened, no matter where they're headed......

I found JFK to be a breeze last Fall coming in from FCO. But I only had carry-on bags. In fact, I came up to the gate area from customs/immigration and an earlier ATL flight was right there & had seats open, so I got home earlier than expected. Much faster than the times we've arrived into ATL from Chile or Argentina...with the other 5-6 international arrivals first thing in the morning.

Travel often comes with airport hassles, but the good news is, it means you're traveling. :)

The new International Terminal is opening in Atlanta and from now on once through customs you will not have to go recheck your bags and go thru security. This is going to be a great time saver, IMO. Plus when we have come thru and several planes were there at the same time , they would open new lines to expedite traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've been rescreened outside the US too - NRT, AMS pop to mind. AMS is planeside, so I understand it's because I'm flying to the US, but at NRT, all transit passengers are rescreened, no matter where they're headed......

That's most airports with international-to-international connections (or international-to-domestic connections).

It's not really unique per se - several of them exist in Canada (10 or so), and a few in the Caribbean (Nassau...I forget where else), as well as Dublin and Shannon in Ireland.

I believe it was set up as a test case and has just sort of stuck around. I know it's expensive for the US to operate, since they have to pay for many US citizens to live and work in a foreign country, so that's why there probably won't be additional ones set up in places like Ireland (Canada, obviously, makes a lot more sense).

Thanks for that, after flying into Miami a few weeks ago I vowed never again!

That's most airports with international-to-international connections (or international-to-domestic connections).

Right. Which is why I wondered why the US was being singled out:rolleyes: (not just JFK....This isn't a TSA issue, it's just common to international air travel.....)

I agree that all airports can be bad with international arrivals and it's hit-or-miss regarding the lines. However, something must be going on at JFK, maybe construction, maybe something else. We have returned internationally through JFK numerous times. We always went through immigration/passport control, then claimed our bags, and then went through customs. After customs, we would go through the exit door, turn right and deposit our bags on a conveyor belt to be re-screened and sent on their way. We then proceeded to security and on to our gate.

On May 30, we arrived at JFK from Venice around 4:30 pm. Immigration was average, bag claim was fine, customs was fine. However, upon exiting customs, an agent told us not to turn right (as the sign over the door said and as we have done in the past), but to go left down the hall to an elevator and take it to the third floor where we would deposit our luggage. The hall led us to a food court, which we had to cross to get to the elevator. There were two elevators, which would hold about 4 people each with luggage, for our 300+ passengers as well as another international flight that had arrived around the same time. Once we got off the elevator at the third floor, we found we were in the departures area along with everyone else checking in for flights. There was no separate area for re-checking our luggage (or, if there was, there was no one to direct us to it.) Once we got our luggage re-checked, we then still had to go through security and to our gate. Luckily, we had a 3-hour layover.

I'd like to know if this was just a temporary issue or is the way it will be in the future. We have another international flight through JFK in October.

The new International Terminal is opening in Atlanta and from now on once through customs you will not have to go recheck your bags and go thru security. This is going to be a great time saver, IMO. Plus when we have come thru and several planes were there at the same time , they would open new lines to expedite traffic.

MISCONCEPTION ALERT!!!

The new international terminal will provide this ONLY for those who are ending their flight in Atlanta. All connecting passengers will still go through baggage re-check AND security screening.

MISCONCEPTION ALERT!!!

The new international terminal will provide this ONLY for those who are ending their flight in Atlanta. All connecting passengers will still go through baggage re-check AND security screening.

I was wondering how they would be re-screened before getting on another plane...

Archived