Alitalia

lanabanana

We are sailing the Equinox in November and flying to Rome on Alitalia. Everything I can find about them online is dismal, at best. Anyone here have first hand experience? They have a carry-on weight restriction of 8kg and I'm wondering if they also allow a "personal item" like a backpack, or is that considered your carry-on? I'd sure hate to arrive at the airport and be carrying too much stuff!

Thanks!

We are sailing the Equinox in November and flying to Rome on Alitalia. Everything I can find about them online is dismal, at best. Anyone here have first hand experience? They have a carry-on weight restriction of 8kg and I'm wondering if they also allow a "personal item" like a backpack, or is that considered your carry-on? I'd sure hate to arrive at the airport and be carrying too much stuff!

Thanks!

We flew Aitalia from Miami to Rome last fall. The plane interior was need of freshening up but we survived in coach for 8 hours. Food was pretty yucky as reviewed so we brought sandwiches and snacks. We planned for the weight restriction and one bag allowed but many people brought a rolling bag and a backpack or other bag for under the seat. Never saw them weigh anything at the gate but they could since the rule exists. Very strict on checked bag weight at the counter. We stressed over the reviews as well but it was fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Please be aware that it depends on what Alitalia flight you are on, as sometimes being booked on an Alitalia flight at certain US airports really means that you are flying another airline that happens to code share with Alitalia.

For example, due to the contract between Alitalia and Delta, Alitalia does have flights out of the Atlanta airport. However, these flights are on Delta aircraft with Delta crew. Therefore, you check in with Delta, Delta luggage rules are followed, and food etc. is all Delta. Therefore, this flight is really a Delta experience, not an Alitalia experience, even with an Alitalia ticket. The same thing applies for Alitalia flights from Italy back to Atlanta in terms of Delta equipment and crew.

On the other hand, I have also flown Alitalia from Rome to Boston on an actual Alitalia plane with Alitalia crew. In my opinion, that was a more "budget" experience.

Long story short, not all Alitalia flights are created equal.

I flew Alitalia from Chicago (ORD) to Rome (FCO) and they were fine. Many of the European airlines have more restrictive luggage policies than the US lines. We were allowed a personal item such a purse or laptop bag in addition to a carry on. The food I thought was fair and it was nice having free wine in coach. The staff we encountered were friendly. The plane was a bit old, but in decent shape. While they might not be my first choice, I would have no problem booking with them again if the price was right.

I just booked 2 tix on Alitalia from Miami to Rome for our TA. in Nov. Could not get business class, got economy plus. Has anyone flown in this class and if so, what is it like? We will keep trying for business class to open up. Using miles, it was only 39,000 each for economy plus.

I just booked 2 tix on Alitalia from Miami to Rome for our TA. in Nov. Could not get business class, got economy plus. Has anyone flown in this class and if so, what is it like? We will keep trying for business class to open up. Using miles, it was only 39,000 each for economy plus.

How were you able to use your points foe Economy+? I thought Delta only allowed (oh wait, maybe you had Alitalia points?) you to book Economy or Business?

The only airline that has economy plus is UA.

They might mean premium Economy.

The OP needs to know most European based airlines have the 8kg limit, and yes, they weight backpacks.

I don't think Alitalia has any sort of Premium Economy or Economy Plus. I'm thinking the ticket might actually be on Delta in their "Economy Comfort"?

I don't think Alitalia has any sort of Premium Economy or Economy Plus. I'm thinking the ticket might actually be on Delta in their "Economy Comfort"?

Upon further review, it appears that a few longhaul Alitalia plane does have a Premium Economy product. I'll be darned.

We flew Alitalia Boston to Rome and return a couple of years ago. The plane was okay and the crew was friendly and efficient. My issues with the flight was more with the (dis?) organized chaos at FCO. There were long lines snaking up to the ticket counter and ground crew moving some people into shorter lines and others into line ahead of those already in line. Desks were closing and opening at different times, few announcements were being made and people were quite concerned about missing flights because of all the turmoil going on. When we finally made it through security, and the actual flight was announced ( 1 1/2 hours late) no one lined up, it was just a mad rush for the jetway. We were allowed our regular carry-on and I had my small backpack and hubby had his laptop. Both were allowed. The price was right and I would fly them again but I would not want to use FCO again.

Archived