Civitavecchia (Rome) by train

broadbent

By the time you collect your luggage (FCO is very slow) catch the train and transfer, get to the train station at Civi and walk to the shuttles, and shuttle to your ship, you will eat up about 3 of those hours. Drop your bags at the ship, and you can walk around in Civi.

All of this is covered regularly on the Italy board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

we arrive at 7.20am in Rome with our suitcases.

we can board our boat (Equinox) at 12.30am

we can go by train to the port.

But what to do in the meantime.

A vague timetable:

Arrive Fiumicino 07.20

Clear airport formalities 08.30

Arrive Rome Termini rail station by train 09.00/09.30 or by bus 09.30/10.00

Train to Civi takes about 70 mins, then taxi or walk+port shuttle.

That will get you to the ship 10.30 at the earliest if all connections slot perfectly (which they won't :rolleyes:), but more likely around 12.00.

If you want to spend a couple of hours in Rome, there's a left luggage at Termini station. But don't risk taking the last possible Civi train for the latest possible check-in time on the ship. :eek:

JB :)

Unless you go to the port and drop off your luggage, you will probably not want to do much other than take a taxi to see things. As noted above, it will probably take most of the morning to get to the port. You can then drop your luggage and if there is time stroll around Civitivecchia

It sounds like you are doing an overnight flight. We've taken the train before (Citavecchia to Rome) with no problem, but in May we got into Rome at 10:30 AM for our Celebrity cruise.

Unless you can sleep on the plane a lot better than we can, my advice is to book a car transfer. We were so wiped out from about 48 hours of travel (home to Omaha, Omaha to New York, transfer to JFK, overnight flight) that for once it was well worth it to spend the money on a car. Normally we wouldn't.

Usually we'd take the train. Our car was 85 euros for the two of us, plus tip. With our 10:30 arrival we got to the ship about 1:00. I don't really think you have enough extra time to worry about trying to see something in Rome.

If you have the time and energy, once you get to the port, you can walk around Citavecchia.

A vague timetable:

Arrive Fiumicino 07.20

Clear airport formalities 08.30

Arrive Rome Termini rail station by train 09.00/09.30 or by bus 09.30/10.00

Train to Civi takes about 70 mins, then taxi or walk+port shuttle.

That will get you to the ship 10.30 at the earliest if all connections slot perfectly (which they won't :rolleyes:), but more likely around 12.00.

If you want to spend a couple of hours in Rome, there's a left luggage at Termini station. But don't risk taking the last possible Civi train for the latest possible check-in time on the ship. :eek:

JB :)

Great and accurate advice from JB. You can see a few sites in 2 hours. Purchase the BIRG ticket which will give you access to the metro and the train. From the Termini, we took the metro to St. Peter's Square.

We were able to walk from St. Peter's Square, Castel de Angelo, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, then the metro to the Colosseum, and metro to the Termini. (the walk to the platform for the Civitavecchia train was loooooooong...give yourself some time to get there.) We caught the first train after 2pm...and as JB said don't risk taking the last train. Italian trains are notorius for being late. Take the express...less stops.

When you get to Civitavecchia, walk past the taxi drivers...its only 4 short blocks to the port gate...where free shuttles are waiting for passengers to take them to their respective ships. Happy Sailing...:)

Purchase the BIRG ticket which will give you access to the metro and the train.

and as JB said don't risk taking the last train. Italian trains are notorius for being late. Take the express...less stops.

The BIRG ticket isn't the best option for three reasons. First, it's not as easy to find someone who sells the BIRG in Rome the way it is in Civitavecchia. Second, if you could find it you'd wind up paying slightly more than just buying the metro/bus tickets you need plus the one way train fare. Third, it wouldn't work at all if they follow your advice and take an express train, the BIRG is only good on the regional trains.

Note re Rome bus/metro tickets: The "hourly" tickets, which now cost Euro 1,50 each, are actuallly good for 100 minutes. Since the OP would only have a few hours in Rome, an all day pass would certainly be overkill. At most two of the 1,50 tickets would be needed.

Possibly the trains have been late in your experience, but I have found them to be relatively timely over my past decade + of semi-frequent usage.

The BIRG ticket isn't the best option for three reasons. First, it's not as easy to find someone who sells the BIRG in Rome the way it is in Civitavecchia. Second, if you could find it you'd wind up paying slightly more than just buying the metro/bus tickets you need plus the one way train fare. Third, it wouldn't work at all if they follow your advice and take an express train, the BIRG is only good on the regional trains.

Note re Rome bus/metro tickets: The "hourly" tickets, which now cost Euro 1,50 each, are actuallly good for 100 minutes. Since the OP would only have a few hours in Rome, an all day pass would certainly be overkill. At most two of the 1,50 tickets would be needed.

Possibly the trains have been late in your experience, but I have found them to be relatively timely over my past decade + of semi-frequent usage.

...eurocruiser...just want to let you know you've helped us a lot in the past. We've gotten valuable information from you and cruisemom. We do mostly DIY and often use your information. (We had the BIRG ticket on the express...no one even bothered to check :))

We consider three of the best CC members for European travel are: Eurocruiser, Cruisemom, and Hlitner...all three have provided some of the the most accurate and detailed information. Thank you again. (Note: As I said on another post, we are relatively new to CC but have been cruising for over 30 years...wish we had known about CC sooner.)

You're welcome, happy to help. I've been on lots of trains in Italy (and elsewhere in Europe) where no one bothered to check for tickets and I wondered about whether I'd wasted my money. Of course, I've been on many more when tickets were checked, and the penalty for not having them far outweighed all of the trains I'd been on when no one did ask.

I think of it as a civic duty, so to speak. Maintaining a national train system is expensive and the little I pay to ride is the least I can do to help keep it available, whether or not anyone checks to see if I'm honest. I've never really understood the attitude of "getting one over" on "them", whomever the "them" happens to be. I'm happy to pay my fair share in exchange for the service I receive.

If you want to take the train between FCO and Civitavecchia you do not want to waste the money (and time) going to Rome's main Termini station. Rather then taking the fast (and expensive Leonardo express) you simply take the slightly slower regional train (much cheaper) from FCO to Rome's Trastavere station (closer then Termini) where you change trains to the regional train to Civitavecchia. The problem is you have to drag your luggage around the train station and then you will have problems finding a taxi to take you from the Civitavecchia station to the port (its only 4 1/2 blocks). But if you can handle your luggage and are willing to walk nearly 5 blocks (it is flat) to the port you can save money with the trains.

You will probably be exhausted after an overnight flight so it makes sense to get to the port and check your luggage. You can later spend a few hours exploring Civitavecchia (there is a free port shuttle between the ship and the main port entrance) which has improved in recent years and now has a nice seaside promanade, quite a few cafe/restaurants, and even a McDonalds :)

Hank

Sorry. Never thought to say that we were arriving by train, so no buggage carousels. It works out that we will have 3 hours to kill.

Bit worried about baggage thieves in Rome - Termini. Sen it with my own eyes. So anxious to get on.

But on balance it might be better to stay in Rome?

Sorry. Never thought to say that we were arriving by train, so no buggage carousels. It works out that we will have 3 hours to kill.

Bit worried about baggage thieves in Rome - Termini. Sen it with my own eyes. So anxious to get on.

But on balance it might be better to stay in Rome?

If you are arriving into Termini and looking to spend a few hours in Rome before continuing on to Civitavecchia, you can use the left luggage office at Termini so you don't need to worry about your things.

It costs 5 Euro per bag for the first five hours, a small price to pay for peace of mind. Do keep in mind that it can take a few minutes to retrieve your things, so don't wait until just minutes before your ongoing train to pick them up.

Information here: http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5dc9fb73699fb110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

The 08.15 train from Termini arrives at 09.23 which is what I think we'll do.

Does anybody know if there is a left luggage place in the port?

No, there apparently is not. This has been asked many times and no one has ever been able to come up with one.

If you get there hours before boarding begins you'll be stuck waiting around with your stuff. I think you'd be better off using the left luggage at Termini and not arriving to your ship until they are ready to accept your bags.

Is spending a few hours on the beach an option?

If yes, then you can go to Civitavecchia and walk to the beach. It's the same direction as the port and it would take just a few minutes to reach the it.

When you arrive at the port entrance you can take the free shuttle bus to your ship and drop your luggage. However, this will still leave you with your carry-on luggage...and for this we have no solution.

Hank

Archived