? For cruisers that have been on multiple liness

FloridaGram

I have been on cruises but and looking at different ships and itineraries. I have myself so confused with all the information I have read. Here are my top choices and I am wondering if anyone can offer advice. Our primary activity would be sunning, hopefully in a quiet adult place. Does anyone know how crowded those areas are? I would not want to go on a ship I could not get a chair but I know the dynamics of any cruise can be different so there is no guarantee.

One thing I am concerned about is weather. I know ships try to steer clear of hurricanes but I am from FL and know about hurricanes too. And I do not want to go when the water is too cold to get into,I am warm blooded so below 80 feels cold to me.

I am looking at CCL Freedom to Aruba and Curacao either 8/25 or 9/22.

Or Caribbean Princess same place but 11/10. I tend to not want to do this because we like to be casual. But if it would be the best choice for other reasons we could suck it up and get some formal clothes.

I am also looking at the CCL Legend on 09/30 to the Roatan, belize,Cozumel, GC. We have not done that in over 10 years, before these new ports existed. The serenity ara of this shop looks pretty small.

And last but not least, or maybe it is, the Norwegian Dawn in Nov. from Tampa to the western but to Costa Maya instead of GC.

Any insight anyone can give me that may help me chose would be so appreciated. I am to the point I am losing sleep over this decision and I have to make it soon. Cabins are being booked and I may miss out!

Thanks!

I have been on cruises but and looking at different ships and itineraries. I have myself so confused with all the information I have read. Here are my top choices and I am wondering if anyone can offer advice. Our primary activity would be sunning, hopefully in a quiet adult place. Does anyone know how crowded those areas are? I would not want to go on a ship I could not get a chair but I know the dynamics of any cruise can be different so there is no guarantee.

One thing I am concerned about is weather. I know ships try to steer clear of hurricanes but I am from FL and know about hurricanes too. And I do not want to go when the water is too cold to get into,I am warm blooded so below 80 feels cold to me.

Or Caribbean Princess same place but 11/10. I tend to not want to do this because we like to be casual. But if it would be the best choice for other reasons we could suck it up and get some formal clothes.

I am also looking at the CCL Legend on 09/30 to the Roatan, belize,Cozumel, GC. We have not done that in over 10 years, before these new ports existed. The serenity ara of this shop looks pretty small.

And last but not least, or maybe it is, the Norwegian Dawn in Nov. from Tampa to the western but to Costa Maya instead of GC.

Any insight anyone can give me that may help me chose would be so appreciated. I am to the point I am losing sleep over this decision and I have to make it soon. Cabins are being booked and I may miss out!

Thanks!

For itinerary, I'd say Aruba and Curacao wins hands down over the western Caribbean. For experience aboard ship, I'd urge Princess over CCL (not much more formal than CCL) - and way above NCL.

I'm a warm water fan myself -- that time of year will give you the warmest water in all areas mentioned.

Most of the " adult" pool areas are quite busy....of course, it will depend on the mix of passengers on any given week! However, if you go up a deck or two from the pool area, you can almost always find a chair to sun in, in a quiet spot!

In "hurricane" season, the water is quite warm...after all, warm water is what "feeds" a tropical storm. The water will not be cold by any means!

NCL is the least formal of the cruiselines, followed closely by Carnival. All of the other lines still have formal nights...you can participate or not...there are other eating options if you choose to stay in shorts the whole time! Basically, "casual" nights will be long pants and collared shirt for men.

Over the years, most lines have pretty much been homogenized into not being all that different from another. I'd choose by itinerary/date/price, which ever works out the best for you.....go. The sun is just as warm, the water just as blue and the air just as invigorating, no matter which ship or line you are on.

I think you could find a nice quiet spot any time you cruise as long as it is not a school or college vacation week. I was just on Princess and on formal night a couple at our table came with casual dressy outfits and were fine. The man just wore a buttoned shirt and no jacket. I've liked all ships I've been on. Don't worry about the ship. Pick the itinerary and price you like best. We've done many a cruise in an inside cabin because we only sleep there. Have fun! Let us know what you choose!

I would choose the Caribbean Princess. We have sailed the ship twice and for dinner it is casual. You can do formal night or not. The ship is very nice with a great adults area aft. Service and food, very good. I would choose Princess over CCL anytime. :)

I would choose the Caribbean Princess. We have sailed the ship twice and for dinner it is casual. You can do formal night or not. The ship is very nice with a great adults area aft. Service and food, very good. I would choose Princess over CCL anytime. :)

Really, you can not do formal in the MDR? I was reading about it and it seemed you would be flogged with a wet noodle if you did not. I even read that some maitre'd would refuse to let you in the MDR if the man did not have a jacket. So I decided not to do that line.

I would like to try Princess and thought it was less stuffy now than it used to be but the things I read today did not make it seem so. DH has lost weight and his suit does not fit. Since he never wore it except on cruises we do not want to replace it.

I think you could find a nice quiet spot any time you cruise as long as it is not a school or college vacation week. I was just on Princess and on formal night a couple at our table came with casual dressy outfits and were fine. The man just wore a buttoned shirt and no jacket. I've liked all ships I've been on. Don't worry about the ship. Pick the itinerary and price you like best. We've done many a cruise in an inside cabin because we only sleep there. Have fun! Let us know what you choose!

Thanks for the encouragement! DH is no help, he says whatever I want. So I am thinking Aruba and Curacao! I showed him some pictures tonight so he is a bit more interested. I have been there but he has not. I went on an excursion so did not see much of the island and I loved the buildings there.

Another dilemma I have is that the RNC is in Tampa the same week that the cheapest rates are on that cruise. It does not leave from Tampa but my son is a deputy and has to go there that week to work so I will be keeping his children and cannot go that week. :(

I just got back from my first Princess cruise.

A) While their adult-only area (called The Sanctuary) is VERY nice, it is a fee-extra venue, you must pre-book it based on limited availability.

B) The general attire was not necessarily any more "formal" than either Carnival or NCL. You would not be out of place in a basic dress and shirt/tie for DH. Don't let the dress code intimidate you; it may be even more laid back on a tropical itinerary.

Really, you can not do formal in the MDR? I was reading about it and it seemed you would be flogged with a wet noodle if you did not. I even read that some maitre'd would refuse to let you in the MDR if the man did not have a jacket. So I decided not to do that line.

I would like to try Princess and thought it was less stuffy now than it used to be but the things I read today did not make it seem so. DH has lost weight and his suit does not fit. Since he never wore it except on cruises we do not want to replace it.

Princess is not that formal - as long as a man wears clean trousers and a collared shirt, he will not be turned away - hopefully he could spring for a necktie out of courtesy to those diners who do like a bit of formality.

For good and cheap clothes, especially suits and ties.. Try second hand stores!

You can get great ties...with store tags still on, for about 3 dollars. Suits. 10-30

It is typically more difficult to find nice dress shirts.

I've done the formal night in the main dining room where I've worn slacks, long sleeved dress shirt and tie and I fit right in. I don't own a suit (while working I didn't need one) and at my age I doubt I'll buy one now. I've never been turned away at the door. While I've been on different cruiselines' ships, I'll most likely stick with Princess.

if you do not have to be right there on top of the pool there will ALWAYS be empty loungers one deck higher in full sun. No matter what cruise line you use

except on the very high end lines( Crystal, Cunard, etc) Formal nights are a suggestion.. in the MDR slacks and collared shirt is fine for the guys.. don't even need a tie or jacket dressy slacks or a simple sundress for the ladies

Weather: hurricane season runs through the end of November. its always a risk

I have sailed Royal, Disney and Carnival.

our favorite( and then just ekes out the win b/c of food) was Royal.. Disney running a neck behind

Carnival.. very casual.. wayyyy too party hearty atmosphere and they did a p!ss poor job of keeping the adult areas adult only.

Disney did the best job keeping the adult areas exactly that, but their food was meh and we are food snobs.

Royal had a great mix of the best of the other two lines.. casual, relaxed but still a step up. there were plenty of quiet spots..the Solarium was usually very nice( and is enclosed )

Over the years, most lines have pretty much been homogenized into not being all that different from another. I'd choose by itinerary/date/price, which ever works out the best for you.....go. The sun is just as warm, the water just as blue and the air just as invigorating, no matter which ship or line you are on.

I have to disagree that the lines are homogenized. I've sailed on three lines and they couldn't be more differnt from each other in every respect except all three were a passenger carrying vessel in water.

So sorry, I meant casual most nights. Yes there are formal nights but as others have posted, not to dressy. There also is a lovely adults only pool aft called the Terrace pool. We spent alot of time there. I never thought Princess as being stuffy. Do try Princess. You will be pleased, I am sure. :)

ok, we have sailed all of these ships, some recently. I like all of them and would do any again. Our most recent was Freedom 8 nighter to GT, DR, Curacao and Aruba. Great itinerary and all ports were wonderful for sunning/swimming. (review posted in member review area)

Food: I can always find something I like to eat. Agree that NCL has the best buffets.

RE: formal evenings' suggested attire on Princess; our guys wear a nice shirt and khakis and have never been turned away, and there are plenty of men who are not in a suit or tux. We no longer bring formalwear if we're flying to a port.

While the Caribbean sea will not be as warm in November as it is in the summer, it is still very nice in November, esp in the southern area. Early December the water in St. Thomas had a bit of a chill. (I like the water warm too!)

Note that Princess and Norwegian cabins are smaller than Carnival.

If you want a chair on the aft pool on Princess get out there early. I do like that area the best on Princess ships.

I have found it best that I try the different cruiselines to see them for myself.

Have fun on whichever you choose!

Thanks!

We've been on Carnival, RCI, Princess and Celebrity.

If one of your choices was RCI, I'd say "book it!" I think you will find Princess to have much more elbow room than Carnival. We were on a family cruise in May on the Carnival Legend and we were all rather taken aback by the decor. The Legend is old and has low, dark ceilings which we found creepy and depressing. The pool deck and buffet area were mob scenes and chaotic.

Here's a recent thread you might find informative: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1481929

Archived