Do you put your cruise on a credit card?

I usually like to use a debit to my account when paying the down payment, then again for the final payment. Problem is major budgeting to have that money in the account when those payments come around. Do you use a credit card? How long does it usually take to pay it down? I thinking I don't know if I want to still be paying for a vacation a year out and interest on top of that. My final payment for my next cruise is not till November and 700 bucks will be sucked out. I've got time, but hopefully nothing major happens tween now and then.

I always use a credit card, but I always keep it paid off every month. If I don't have the money, I don't charge it. The credit card does give me points towards a free cruise. We did a free cruise on the Allure of the Seas in Sept. and am almost up to another free 7 night cruise.

We put money aside from each paycheck to fund vacations. When it's time to pay, we put the charge on our credit card (for the insurance and the points) and then use the cash from our vacation savings to pay off the CC.

We put money aside from each paycheck to fund vacations. When it's time to pay, we put the charge on our credit card (for the insurance and the points) and then use the cash from our vacation savings to pay off the CC.

This sounds great! Gonna do it this way..:p

Yup, I use a credit card, and I get frequent flyer miles to help me fly to my next vacation. However, I pay my credit card bill in full each month. I wouldn't purchase a vacation (cruise, flight, anything) if I couldn't pay it off in full when the bill came; I would save sufficiently until I knew I'd have enough.

You could also call Carnival and make payments leading up to the final payment date so its not such a big hit at one time. I've also paid online. Sometimes I make just a $10 payment if that is what I have extra that week.

Credit cards give you protections that debit cards don't....always use a credit card! If you have the cash in your account that you would have used to pay for the vacation, just transfer that money to your credit card payment when you return! Easy!

Credit cards give you protections that debit cards don't....always use a credit card! If you have the cash in your account that you would have used to pay for the vacation, just transfer that money to your credit card payment when you return! Easy!

but RCCL charges 2.5% for using one.

I paid my deposit with a credit card. I thought I heard somewhere if you pay any part by cc it is covered. Does anyone know if that is true?

but RCCL charges 2.5% for using one.

I think you mean your CC company charges the % for the currency transaction

I know Canadian CC have the fee built into the exchange rate

I think you mean your CC company charges the % for the currency transaction

I know Canadian CC have the fee built into the exchange rate

actually no I don't. In the UK it is a RCCL charge. They tack on this charge as they pay an additional fee for processing these types of payments.

I have a feeling the the debit card + the credit card is reverse in the two countries though. In the UK the Debit card is the bank account card that withdraws directly from your B/A. Is that the same in the states? I'm American but have lived in the UK most my life so don't remember.

actually no I don't. In the UK it is a RCCL charge. They tack on this charge as they pay an additional fee for processing these types of payments.

I have a feeling the the debit card + the credit card is reverse in the two countries though. In the UK the Debit card is the bank account card that withdraws directly from your B/A. Is that the same in the states? I'm American but have lived in the UK most my life so don't remember.

Yes, you're right about debit cards. Companies in the US and Canada can't charge more to customers using a credit card, but it seems that's different elsewhere.

actually no I don't. In the UK it is a RCCL charge. They tack on this charge as they pay an additional fee for processing these types of payments. INTERESTING did not realize that

In the UK the Debit card is the bank account card that withdraws directly from your B/A. Is that the same in the states? I'm American but have lived in the UK most my life so don't remember.

In Canada the Debit card takes directly from your bank account as well

Our Credit cards have a foreign transaction fee added to the Currency exchange rate when using the card out of the country.... it is more or less hidden & can be 2-4% depending on the card

You only know about the fee if you read the Credit Card agreement (which most people do not read )

Lyn

In Canada the Debit card takes directly from your bank account as well

Our Credit cards have a foreign transaction fee added to the Currency exchange rate when using the card out of the country.... it is more or less hidden & can be 2-4% depending on the card

You only know about the fee if you read the Credit Card agreement (which most people do not read )

Lyn

Same in the States - debit cards take the money directly out of checking/savings accounts, and many credit cards charge a "foreign transaction fee" on top of the exchange rate for anything except US dollars.

There are, however, some cards that don't charge a foreign transaction fee. You can find them by shopping around a bit.

Kwaj,

What card offers this kind of insurance?

http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/banking/insurance/travel/year-round

I read an MSN article suggesting getting coverage through your credit card could be less expensive, so even if you're not Canadian research cards where you are.

I used to get coverage through CAA/BCAA. Low age coverage was about 4 times more expensive with the next age level starting at 60. The BMO plan is $99 for the family up to age 65 and has the same coverage as the BCAA. I saved the $99 cost of the card and more.

American Express was more expensive.

I'd add too, that I write for a financial magazine and moderate a couple of boards with everything focusing on how to keep costs down and money in "YOUR" pocket. Normally, I wouldn't pay for a credit card. In this case though another added benefit of this card is that I get an automatic 25% reduction in the number of AirMiles needed for flights and I know how to accumulate AirMiles to my advantage. So $99 spent saves $100s in medical, cancellation and flight costs.

Edited by operabob