Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Sharon, Oh I know I’ll finish that quilt. It’s a sweet white and blue design and my first foray into machine piecing for the quilt. I started it for my uncle who is only 4 years older than I. He married someone one year older and when they were expecting their first, I started making this quilt on a gamble that it would be a boy. But it was a girl and my enthusiasm waned. I’ve done more work on it once or twice over the years. It’s not that far from completion IIRC. 

14 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Thanks, y'all. I got my master's in Nursing Education. I delayed looking for a job as I don't have any interest in teaching in a virtual world. Not even sure how to teach a hands-on field in a WebEx/Zoom meeting.

And I have increased my spare time and crafting. I'm pretty much done with mask making and am ready to finish setting up my craft/sewing room and start making clothes, plus playing with my Cricut machine.

Congtats on the Master's of Nursing Education.  It would be hard to try to teach hands on course over Zoom.

Enjoy your time off from the books.  Sewing and crafting is a great way to unwind.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Here are some of the quilts I have been working on.  The hearts and the star are at the long arm quilter getting finished.  I forgot to take a picture of the hearts after I added the borders.

Lisa

9C1DDC95-2A81-47FE-BB18-A1EFEFE543BC.jpeg

AF8FE76D-96BC-4931-B838-7A35BD902582.jpeg

DA4E3263-B254-48C8-8F24-3A3E1002F83A.jpeg

They are really beautiful.  Are you going to send them all out to a long are quilter, or do some your self?  I don't make any thing larger that a table runner.  Just too many little pieces for me to cut and sew.

You did such a great job on the quilt tops.

12 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Sharon, Oh I know I’ll finish that quilt. It’s a sweet white and blue design and my first foray into machine piecing for the quilt. I started it for my uncle who is only 4 years older than I. He married someone one year older and when they were expecting their first, I started making this quilt on a gamble that it would be a boy. But it was a girl and my enthusiasm waned. I’ve done more work on it once or twice over the years. It’s not that far from completion IIRC. 

In time the quilt will get done.  I have some unfinished projects too.  I am currently finishing up one, a pair of pants and a fanny/waist bag to match.  I just need to make more time to sew.  I started a family tree, and that has taken so much of my time up.

21 hours ago, geocruiser said:

They are really beautiful.  Are you going to send them all out to a long are quilter, or do some your self?  I don't make any thing larger that a table runner.  Just too many little pieces for me to cut and sew.

You did such a great job on the quilt tops.

The top one with the pinwheels I quilted on my machine...it was stitch in the ditch and then parallel lines on the borders.  The big ones go to the long arm.  Anything that is a throw or smaller I can quilt on my Juki.  I am slowly learning free motion quilting.  I make quilt sandwiches out of scraps and practice.  I would love to be able to free motion quilt my smaller projects by the end of the year.

Lisa

Edited by RedHeadTexan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

The top one with the pinwheels I quilted on my machine...it was stitch in the ditch and then parallel lines on the borders.  The big ones go to the long arm.  Anything that is a throw or smaller I can quilt on my Juki.  I am slowly learning free motion quilting.  I make quilt sandwiches out of scraps and practice.  I would love to be able to free motion quilt my smaller projects by the end of the year.

Lisa

Free motion can be hard.  I have seen people do it a the sewing store.   I give you a lot of credit, you sew everything.  And fast too.

I had my second covid shot yesterday.    Of course my are hurts, and my reflux is acting up.  don't know if that is from the shot or not.  This should all disappeared in a day or so.

• Like 1

My pattern arrived today. I really do hope that I will be needing to make these in smaller sizes sooner or later so I'm going to iron out the pattern and trace it. I have a roll of pattern paper that I bought years ago. I hope I have enough of the one gauze fabric. I know I have enough of a batik but I'm hoping to make pants out of both and both to be long pants to help keep more of me covered...but I might have to just do the shorter pair for the gauze...we'll see. I have two pieces of the gauze not a single cut.

I need to get some tracing paper, especially if I'm fixing to tackle pattern fitting. A friend told me to use waxed paper, and it works, but if I'm going to repeat a pattern, I want something a little sturdier. I'm also going to try print matching. I've done one pocket that matched the print so well that you can't see it.

Today I finished applying a distressed peace sign iron-on on a hoodie for my husband and a  "eat read sleep repeat" iron-on on a night shirt for me, plus finished making custom invitations for a small party we're having next month. Have to take them to the post office because I'm sure they'll be more than a single "forever" stamp to send.

@PurpleHays. I have a skirt pattern that I’ve used to make umpteen skirts for my Mom. It’s a single pattern piece. I read about and did reinforce the pattern piece with iron on interfacing. That pattern is the easiest most wonderful pattern to use. If I ever find such a pattern for myself that I would make over and over I will definitely do the same and interface the pattern pieces.

I broke down and “splurged” the whatever it was on an entire roll of pattern paper. It is very handy to have, especially since the majority of alterations I need to make are to make things bigger, splicing a pattern and needing that extra paper to fill the gap. It is so handy to just have the paper around.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

My pattern arrived today. I really do hope that I will be needing to make these in smaller sizes sooner or later so I'm going to iron out the pattern and trace it. I have a roll of pattern paper that I bought years ago. I hope I have enough of the one gauze fabric. I know I have enough of a batik but I'm hoping to make pants out of both and both to be long pants to help keep more of me covered...but I might have to just do the shorter pair for the gauze...we'll see. I have two pieces of the gauze not a single cut.

Very glad to hear that your pattern arrived.  It is a good idea to trace the pattern.  When the patterns use to be on sale for 99 cents (no more at that price) at time I would buy two of the same so I would not have to trace.  But now I trace.

The gauze pair of pants, can you use two different fabric, by where the flounce is?  Then you can get the long pant made.. Dig through your fabric box, you might find something to go with it. 

12 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I need to get some tracing paper, especially if I'm fixing to tackle pattern fitting. A friend told me to use waxed paper, and it works, but if I'm going to repeat a pattern, I want something a little sturdier. I'm also going to try print matching. I've done one pocket that matched the print so well that you can't see it.

Today I finished applying a distressed peace sign iron-on on a hoodie for my husband and a  "eat read sleep repeat" iron-on on a night shirt for me, plus finished making custom invitations for a small party we're having next month. Have to take them to the post office because I'm sure they'll be more than a single "forever" stamp to send.

https://www.joann.com/canson-tracing-paper-roll-24in-x-10-yds/16241101.html

This was at Joann's.  Look for their coupon to take 40% or more off.

• Like 1

Another option for tracing paper is exam table paper, like the rolls on the exam tables at the doctor's office.  I bought mine on Amazon and it was pretty inexpensive.  The patterns that I make over and over get traced onto craft/butcher paper.  That seems to hold up for years.

Lisa

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps some of you expert seamstresses can give me some advice!

I bought a fabulous cocktail dress.  The back zipper stuck a bit at the waist, where there is extra fabric due to the joining of the top and skirt.  Then the fabric edge of the zipper tore a bit.  I don't want to pack it and then not be able to zip it......but I do want to wear it!

I would find it very difficult to replace the zipper, as the lining is a soft, fine jersey fabric, and the outer layer is mesh with narrow strips of satin fabric sewn all over it - very complex.  I know, I could take it to a professional seamstress.

I was thinking I might be able to hand-sew a dozen or more small hooks and eyes along the zipper, for husband to hook me into it.  The dress came with a very long matching scarf, which I might wear hanging down my back.

I bought it at a charity sale, so don't want to take it back.

What do you think?

58 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Perhaps some of you expert seamstresses can give me some advice!

I bought a fabulous cocktail dress.  The back zipper stuck a bit at the waist, where there is extra fabric due to the joining of the top and skirt.  Then the fabric edge of the zipper tore a bit.  I don't want to pack it and then not be able to zip it......but I do want to wear it!

I would find it very difficult to replace the zipper, as the lining is a soft, fine jersey fabric, and the outer layer is mesh with narrow strips of satin fabric sewn all over it - very complex.  I know, I could take it to a professional seamstress.

I was thinking I might be able to hand-sew a dozen or more small hooks and eyes along the zipper, for husband to hook me into it.  The dress came with a very long matching scarf, which I might wear hanging down my back.

I bought it at a charity sale, so don't want to take it back.

What do you think?

What a shame that the zipper torn away from the fabric.  Just to be sure, the zippeteeth torn away from the zipper fabric?

Would this work?

http://makerstyle.ca/blog/tutorial-button-back-dress

36 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

What a shame that the zipper torn away from the fabric.  Just to be sure, the zippeteeth torn away from the zipper fabric?

Would this work?

http://makerstyle.ca/blog/tutorial-button-back-dress

I wondered about buttons too. You can get fancy trim with loops as button holes, or even sewing smaller black hair elastics will make the loops for the buttons https://www.threadsmagazine.com/2010/06/04/hair-elastics-for-closures

But if they are sturdy enough and close enough together could work too.

Not sure how well you can visualize these steps but a friend replaces coat zippers without removing the original one. This is how she does it. (It might be easier with a separating zipper but you should be able to do similar with moderate sewing skills.

Depending whether dress zipper is a centered or  lapped zipper, replacement might differ. If a lapped zipper, on inner side, cut away zipper tape to edge of dress. On side with lap, just cut away zipper teeth. Now sew one side of zipper to the tape with teeth far enough to not get caught. On other side, sew as you would for a lapped zipper. 

I couldn't find any Google help for this but maybe reading it and mock going through the steps will make sense.

If a centered one, then just cut teeth away from tape and sew to tape. You could go with a fancy zipper and make it visible. It will add a little more size to the back but not by much.

I have been missing going on a cruise.  Sew I thought that I might try making some pillow cases with nautical fabric, that will remind me of the cruises that we have taken.  Has any one used this methordmof making mpillow cases?

https://www.craftsy.com/post/burrito-pillowcase/

22 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I have been missing going on a cruise.  Sew I thought that I might try making some pillow cases with nautical fabric, that will remind me of the cruises that we have taken.  Has any one used this methordmof making mpillow cases?

I have not tried this method, but it looks pretty straight forward.  You just have to make sure that the roll is nowhere near the presser foot when sewing.  

I like the idea of making nautical pillowcases.  I just finished a quilt top that was inspired by a sunny day in the Caribbean.  

Lisa

23 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I haven't,  but many of my quilting friends use this method. I think it is one of those things you just have to follow the steps to see how it works.  Have fun with it.

12 hours ago, cruzisme said:

Look up Crafty Gemini on YouTube...I made a set of cases following her. She explains so well. I used fabric I bought in Australia. Good luck.

Thank you for telling me about Crafty Gemini.  I watched her n You Tube.  She is east to follow.  I will be checking out her other projects too.

Maria

Ooo I'll have to check out Crafty Gemini!

I haven't made pillowcases before, let alone using this method but it reminds me a bit of a certain tote-like hand bag I made once. It's one of those things that seems a bit tricky and may be the first time you do it. What should take 15 minutes may be double that or more the first time you do it as you feel your way through it...double checking and going slowly but once you do it once then the second time is faster as you try to do it to speed and then after that, it gets much easier and slower to that 15 minute method.

Please share what you do!

Lisa...I'd love to see that quilt top.

I started cutting my gauze for those tiered ruffle pants. I started with the smaller piece I have to use it up and moved on to the large piece...and that's when I realized that my gauze was stretch gauze with significant wrinkles at the salvage edges and I needed to iron it to get the piece that should fit from salvage edge to salvage edge to actually fit. Now I think I need to iron the first pieces I cut just to be sure that they aren't so significantly off on the sizing except that I'm worried that if I do iron those and recut them, they will shrink up again funny and not fit right. The problem is that with the cutting layout, I could only get 3 of the 4 inner leg (including crotch and rise areas) pants panels cut on the I didn't iron it piece of fabric. I need to cut the 4th one on the ironed fabric...and that seems whack. I might have to rewash a bit of the ironed part so that it will do it's shrink up again so it will match up with other three.

Meanwhile...I don't mind if the tiered ruffle parts shrink back up after washing a bit...they are seriously full and the shrinking will be okay. I don't really want to have to iron the finished pant to get it to fit right after every washing though...so I figure if the more regular part of the pants pattern is cut from the cloth as is after washing, it should fit most okay.

And I hope that all made sense...

This is the quilt top that was inspired by the Caribbean.  It is at the long arm quilter now and will be a birthday gift for my older sister who also loves cruising.

My current projects are 3 mystery quilts, a Project Linus quilt, and a block of the month group.  At some point over the next few weeks I plan to sew a couple of pairs of pants.  It’s a pattern I have seen once before, so all the height adjustments have been made. 

Lisa

554AF2CA-AEFF-458B-8E2A-CBFC773BB1AA.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

This is the quilt top that was inspired by the Caribbean.  It is at the long arm quilter now and will be a birthday gift for my older sister who also loves cruising.

My current projects are 3 mystery quilts, a Project Linus quilt, and a block of the month group.  At some point over the next few weeks I plan to sew a couple of pairs of pants.  It’s a pattern I have seen once before, so all the height adjustments have been made. 

Lisa

554AF2CA-AEFF-458B-8E2A-CBFC773BB1AA.jpeg

Lisa,  The quilt is beautiful  I do love the colors.  Very tropical.

• Like 1