Oceania vs Regent

bohaiboy

Here's another example. Not the same itineraries, but same length and timeframe, 10 nights, Med., June 2013:

Regent: Venice to Rome, PHC $12,599; H balcony, $6599

Oceania: Rome to Barcelona, PH3, $7,199; B4 veranda, $5,399

So in this case, the balcony price is pretty similar, when you take into account tips, drinks, excursions and pre-cruise hotel.

Okay, I see--with a PHC and up, on European cruises, you get Business Class Air included, so the disparity will be partly explained that way.

So that applies to my previous example as well. It accounts for some of the PH disparity.

In this case Wendy, I would take Regent for the $1200 PP difference with the drinks, tours, larger cabin and gratuities, I think it would be worth it..

Jancruz1

You cannot judge a cabin simply by its square footage. There is a great difference between the layout of the 300 sq. ft. on Mariner and the 284 sq. ft cabins on Marina/Riviera. The Mariner is divided between sleeping and living areas and has a walk in closet. It feels much larger. The cabin on the O ships still feels small with the closet right at the side of the bed. The extra square footage has gone into the bathrooms. I would much rather be in one of the Mariner cabins. jmo.

When I did the maths on our planned Caribbean cruise Oceania came out a little more expensive than Regent... what I compared was an Oceania Marina PH C suite, with reduction for no air and no hotel and with "free" tips included by my TA to a Regent Mariner PH C suite. I then added in the full drinks package totalling c. $900 for 10 days and $1000 for a couple of excursions for the two of us. Even though more expensive the "lure" of a lovely new ship with lots of restaurants over the Navigator with only two - well 3 if you count la Veranda - was too much for us and we switched our booking.

Since then I blew my budget out of the water (!!) as I was too sorely tempted by the Oceania suite. We moved from the PH C to the Oceania and somehow I persuaded my dear husband to cough up the difference!! This will most likely spoil us for all future cruises... but it does look divine. The comparable price on the Navigator was for a Navigator suite and having been in one before there is absolutely no comparison in what we will have in the Oceania suite and that.

In this case Wendy, I would take Regent for the $1200 PP difference with the drinks, tours, larger cabin and gratuities, I think it would be worth it..

Jancruz1

Yes indeed, I would too. Not having done O yet, if the prices lined up this closely, I would definitely choose R.

You cannot judge a cabin simply by its square footage. There is a great difference between the layout of the 300 sq. ft. on Mariner and the 284 sq. ft cabins on Marina/Riviera. The Mariner is divided between sleeping and living areas and has a walk in closet. It feels much larger. The cabin on the O ships still feels small with the closet right at the side of the bed. The extra square footage has gone into the bathrooms. I would much rather be in one of the Mariner cabins. jmo.

Interesting. I haven't sailed Mariner. I wonder how our PH on Riviera is going to feel in terms of layout?

...Interesting. I haven't sailed Mariner. I wonder how our PH on Riviera is going to feel in terms of layout?

Much like Voyager or Navigator veranda suites but larger, except the curtain to the sitting area is decorative and doesn't close.

The PH suites on Marina/Riviera are wonderful. Great and spacious bathrooms and one of the best closets I'v ever had. You walk in in the middle and have tons of room on either side. Plus there's a great full wall shoe rack and lots of shelves. The table and chairs at the foot of the bed are great for in room dining and the balcony is a great size. I would have loved the sofa to be a bit longer and softer but that was my only nit to pick.

Yes indeed, I would too. Not having done O yet, if the prices lined up this closely, I would definitely choose R.

Interesting. I haven't sailed Mariner. I wonder how our PH on Riviera is going to feel in terms of layout?

Wendy

Just take the Oceania cruise then you can see what line works best for you ;)

You have researched Oceania for several years now... time to take the plunge you might be pleasantly surprised:D:D

Lyn

Wendy

Just take the Oceania cruise then you can see what line works best for you ;)

You have researched Oceania for several years now... time to take the plunge you might be pleasantly surprised:D:D

Lyn

Lyn, I'm already booked, have been for months. November 2013, Riviera.

I was just talking about that specific fare comparison.

Lyn, I'm already booked, have been for months. November 2013, Riviera.

I know you are booked

I wonder how our PH on Riviera is going to feel in terms of layout?

I do not think anyone can really tell what it will feel like to you in comparison to other ships

Everyone has their own needs & expectations they require to make them happy ;)

We take the lower cabins they are fine for us but probably would not work for you..just guessing:D

I am sure once you try Oceania you may even book another cruise with them

Enjoy the TA

Lyn

We take the lower cabins they are fine for us but probably would not work for you..just guessing:D

I am sure once you try Oceania you may even book another cruise with them

Enjoy the TA

Lyn

Lyn, if we were doing a port-intensive trip, we'd certainly book a normal veranda cabin, probably a B, with no problem--we've done the Paul Gauguin a number of times in a Window cabin, which is 200 square feet with a tiny bathroom and closet--no problem. This TA is a bit of a splurge because: 1. it's our first Oceania cruise, 2. it's a TA, 3. it was reasonably-priced. On Regent we've only had a PH once, and it was very nice--I'm sure we'll find the PH on Riviera really nice too.

As much as I loved my Marina PH on my TA, never again. A TA is WAY TOO FATTENING. Too much to eat and not enough walking.

LOL

DH walks 10k a day no matter what ;)

I on the other hand would have to steer clear of the milkshake stand ;)

Lyn

LOL

I on the other hand would have to steer clear of the milkshake stand ;)

Lyn

I gave the milkshakes another try on our May Regatta trip. I told them to use extra ice cream like some have stated. For my taste(and I love milkshakes) I had no trouble steering clear of them after the first one. The chocolate crossaints were a completely different story though. Had to limit myself to just one a day. For some reason I determined they were always better in Terrace than the GDR or Horizons.

It was the 3 meals a day -- why skip a meal if you're on board?

Tea every day -- it's 4 pm, I have to be somewhere!

The milkshakes -- soo good (and yes with extra ice cream)!

Six sea days in a row -- killer! LOL

It was the 3 meals a day -- why skip a meal if you're on board?

After reading all your comments I am glad that I am lactose intolerant and cannot enjoy the milkshakes or ice cream. I must admit they always do a double take when I tell them no ice cream at dessert time.:D I usually manage to miss tea. Usually busy doing something else and thank goodness they do have the jogging (walking) track so that I can enjoy my other meals.:D

Pacheco, you've described why we're so looking forward to the inaugural crossing on Riviera. Bring on those sea days ... lotsa time for those high fat milkshakes, decadent ice creams and afternoon tea. Can't think of a better pastime than indulging in the foodie splendors of Oceania.

Pacheco, you've described why we're so looking forward to the inaugural crossing on Riviera. Bring on those sea days ... lotsa time for those high fat milkshakes, decadent ice creams and afternoon tea. Can't think of a better pastime than indulging in the foodie splendors of Oceania.

+1

Count me in :D

Not to mention the four excellent specialty restaurant and the Terrace Cafe - the list goes on and on.....

i wish I could convince DH to do a TA in any cabin :D:D

Well I admit it was easier to pitch the PH because of it being a TA. I also pointed out that we're making two stops across the Atlantic, so I pointed out to him that our maximum contiguous days at sea is four--one more than our previous record of three, on our Rio to FLL cruise several years back. But it helps, and we're also overnighting in Bermuda, which is nice. So the sea-day outline is 1-2-4-2, plus it's a much bigger ship than Voyager, on which we did the Rio trip.

As much as I loved my Marina PH on my TA, never again. A TA is WAY TOO FATTENING. Too much to eat and not enough walking.

Please, don't remind me! But any cruise is fattening for me--I'm sure I gained at least 5 pounds on Navigator in Alaska in May, and we were hoofing around. Of course, pre- and post-cruise stays in SF and Van. didn't help--we just live too well when we're vacationing!

LOL

So please tell me there's a good walking track on Riviera! That would be a life-saver. (Oh, I see one on the deck plan--deck 15!)

...So please tell me there's a good walking track on Riviera! That would be a life-saver. (Oh, I see one on the deck plan--deck 15!)

There are actually two on Riviera. There is the Fitness track on Deck 15 that you mentioned; it's designed for jogging. Then, the Sundeck on Deck 14 (above the pool) is the equivalent of the Sundeck/Jogging Track on Deck 12 of Voyager, with a couple of important differences. It's wide enough for walkers to easily circumnavigate without interfering with the lounge chairs on that deck, and it's designed for use by walkers, not runners, who are encouraged to use the fitness track. However, Betsy prefers to walk on the fitness track. The runners usually do 2 or more laps to her one, but they don't seem to mind. There's lots of room.

Archived